KenK 33 weeks 6 hours ago Web link KenK
    Got to admit the way it all comes together so perfectly is a miracle if anything is.
    Alex R. Knight III 33 weeks 6 hours ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    The "concept of rights."  Imagine that!   Other than being a laughable and wholly childish attempt to avoid actually answering to the points I've raised (you've once again provided zero evidence of your preposterous contention -- only more opinion) your pathological accusation that Paul Bonneau is some kind of government plant...well, I think it speaks for itself in terms of how truly delusional you are.   This happens, I understand, to those unable admit wrong -- those whose egos and narcissism are of such magnitude that they cannot even conceive of a world in which their thoughts, ideas...and opinions...are not always 100% correct and in turn regarded as such -- even objectively -- by everyone with whom they come into contact.   I won't say that when you're ready to provide concrete evidence of "rights" we'll talk, because I already know you can't provide such evidence.  I think you do too, but are simply unable to deflate your own absurd sense of self-worth enough to admit it.   So be it.  This is a worthless and time-consuming conversation at any event, and I have better and more intelligent things to do than to continue to be party to it.
  • Tony Pivetta's picture
    Tony Pivetta 33 weeks 9 hours ago
    Thanks, Sam! Tony
  • Tony Pivetta's picture
    Tony Pivetta 33 weeks 9 hours ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I think I know I'm right, so I'm right. I think.
    Jim Davies 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    "one major player childishly picks up his bat and his ball and leaves the playing field..."   Just in case this refers to me, Sam, thanks for calling me a "major" player but no thanks at all for saying my departure from the ranks of current STR authors was "childish".   On the contrary, it was done with deliberate forethought and strenuous attempts to avoid a breach, on the grounds (with which Paul Bonneau fully agreed at the time) that STR does not have room for both of us. We made a joint approach to the Editor to pick which of us he preferred to keep,  but unfortunately he declined to do so. I therefore quit. I will not be identified with a writer who in my considered opinion is a government infiltrator and agent. That was principled, not childish.   To any who wish to know, however, I continue to write, but in a different place: the Zero Government Blog. It offers "Rational, Refreshing Reflections on What's Happening Now" and so far since August 2010 I've published some 434 essays, or a little over one a week. All of them are firmly based on the rational, accurate and orthodox libertarian understanding of the right of self ownership and anticipate a society from which government has been completely removed.   Its current issue can always be reached via TinyURL.com/ZGBlog, and its "RECENT" button reveals an indexed archive of the 434 issues. There is an RSS feed option offered, to remind regular readers that a new issue has been published. I also usually post a short notice in the "Blog" section of STR when one has appeared.
    Jim Davies 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    No straw-grasping here, Alex, and no ego-blinding either. Kindly bottle your anger against me personally, it doesn't help your credibility. Very far from having "zero value", the concept of rights is fundamental to libertarianism and to justice.   Try this: if arguendo humans have no rights, what basis do you propose for rational ethics?   What it seems to me to lead to is the view that might makes right. The guy with the biggest gun prevails, and if a Jew (or a few million Jews) are exterminated because they lack the power to prevent it, too bad, so be it. No wrong has been committed, no sense of justice outraged, no recompense due. This is of course exactly the principle upon which government operates.   Some here who hold that view may well do so after having been misled, or confused - yourself, I think, among them. Others may be here full well knowing that they are spreading disinformation, in a deliberate attempt to undermine this vanguard of the freedom movement. A few years ago I suggested that Paul Bonneau was one such.  I cannot prove it. But his latest lamentable article, above, adds one more item to the evidence supporting my opinion.
    Samarami 33 weeks 1 day ago
    I think you're right. But what if you're wrong??? Sam
    Samarami 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Fired in the manner of a true marksman, Tony! I wish I could have been that kosher. And that brief! Sam
    Samarami 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    "...99 people could cheerfully agree to violate all the property and personal rights of the 1 whom they dislike, without any basis for complaint..." Which is more-or-less the way the world shapes up today, looking at it (inversely perhaps) from the perspective of the non-sovereign -- the 99%. I think the "Occupiers of yore" may have been onto something, seeing the world from their points of view. And contentious me, of course (in my dotage): I could not resist the temptation to bike up and down streets and bike trails with a large yellow sign with black writing: "I AM THE 1%" affixed to my backpack and providing the base for my red flashing light for night riding. Purposeful contention is what we're dealing with here on the "rights" issue. And there's really no need for it at STR (as I see it). Because nothing changes: so, if I'm "right" (pun intended), so what??? Or if I'm "wrong", what's the big deal??? I'll still choose the term "choices" over "rights". To you it might appear a huge impediment to freedom. To me it's not whether "rights" is "right" -- it's the quarreling and the bickering that present the greater impediments -- on this particular forum, at least. Because -- with this and a couple other minor squabbles over "theory" -- one major player childishly picks up his bat and his ball and leaves the playing field, taking the majority of the participants with him. Well, not "taking them with him" -- he certainly hasn't gained any followers. But he has succeeded in creating an unfriendly climate. They cease participating and find other games -- the ones who truly want to continue "the movement". The rookies get lost in the shuffle. And the poor manager of the playing field is caught in the middle -- he has no dog in the fight. He just wants to present a habitable and hospitable environment for all participants of the very important activity for which the arena was designed and kept in place. He doesn't want newbies, potential heavy-hitters, thwarted. He'd just like to see everybody get the chance to play. Divide and conquer: the sustenance of the Hillaries and the Trumpsters. We libertarians are so good at fighting amongst ourselves -- and snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory! If there's one thing I've had to learn in gettin' old: I've got to constantly stave off the natural rage that seems to beset old men if we're not vigilant with ourselves. My kids -- and I'm truly proud of each and every one of them -- have strayed from "...everything I've tried to teach 'em...!". Some have chosen to be Demopublicans, others Republicrats. At least one is a Libertarian (capital "L"). And I won't get into the religion thing (which I don't see as "religion" at all, but a way of life that them kids otta be adhering to and teachin' to my grandkids!). All but one have left the Israelitishness of their youth. And that one's a royal pain in the arse -- chiding me over my lackadaisical slippin' and slidin'! And to top it all off, each of my children has the cheek to earn more money and acquire more "titles" than their Pa ever did! Well, I'll just ride my bike and stay young to age 120. It'll be the first time in the history of mankind that kids have gotten older than the old man. That'll teach 'em. Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    No, I think it's YOU who happens to be rather confused, Jim -- not to mention blinded by your own ego, and grasping at straws.   You've only proven my point.  All you're expressing are opinions that possess ZERO practical value.  You contend that Jew had a "right" to live?  Really?  Fat lot of good it did him, if so.  So now prove he had that "right."  Concretely and absolutely.  No opinions -- just hard proof.  That I happen to think he did, and you too, is of zero moment.  No "right" existed outside of a number of opinions insufficient in this case to save his life.  In another kind of society, in a different place and time, he'd have lived.  In neither case did some abstraction become solid granite separated from human opinion.  I can't think of a more useless and purely academic contention that he somehow had a concrete "right" that exists, entirely outside of human constructs, no matter what anyone else might think or do.  Simply put, such an idea is pure bullshit.   As is your pathetic attempt to justify yourself, or even your presence here.
    Jim Davies 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Yes, Sam, I most certainly do. STR's "About" page states "The mission of STR is to advance the cause of liberty." It is not an open-to-all-views forum, it is an advocacy site, and long may it remain so. Therefore, articles that fail to conform to that mission should be excluded.   The one I referenced establishes that liberty is rooted in rights; hence, an attack on rights is an attack on liberty and hence on STR's stated mission. If you think I (and Rothbard, and many others) got that wrong, go ahead and try to rebut its reasoning.
    Jim Davies 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    The confusion here is immense. Rights, you say, Alex, are contingent on popular assent? Nonsense! If that were the criterion, nobody would have any. 99 people could cheerfully agree to violate all the property and personal rights of the 1 whom they dislike, without any basis for complaint.   And they are contingent on one's ability to restore or defend? Nonsense again! At any one time, it's quite possible that such restoration is beyond reach; that emphatically does not mean they do not exist. Consider a Jew, freshly arrived in 1944 Auschwitz. He is being marched into the gas chamber. His situation is 100% hopeless, he has no chance at all of defending his right to life. Does that mean he has no such right? - very much the contrary. Otherwise, Rudolf Höss did nothing wrong.   Then, does one have rights if one is alone in the world? - of course! Suppose there were 2 people living, or some other small number. Each would have the right to life, self ownership etc. Then unhappily a plague took all their lives except the one. He had his rights before the last of the others died, so he has them intact and unchanged after that moment.  Naturally, since nobody remains who might challenge them, they are no longer of great practical use, that I concede, but so long as he is alive he retains them. They are integral to being human.   What I'm opposing and will certainly continue to oppose are the false perceptions that seem to penetrate even STR. I'm sorry if that seems sometimes to spill over into ad hominem attacks. Take the example of an IRS agent who flouts reason, logic, law and all the rights we have; we agree he is doing evil, yes? But is he personally evil, would you and I demean him, call him a tyrant etc? There is a fine line, I'm not sure. In your post above, you have written some stupid things; does that make you stupid? - I am not saying so. I'll try harder to maintain the difference.
  • Tony Pivetta's picture
    Tony Pivetta 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    A Randroid, Rothbardian, and Catholic monarchist walk into a bar: two rationalists and one Sky Wizard obscurantist. As Natural Rights theorists, all three agree Rights are objective, discoverable, and rational.   The Randroid and Rothbardian insist a woman has "a right to choose," much to the consternation of the Catholic monarchist. The Rothbardian and Catholic monarchist insist no nation--not even a "civilized" one like the U.S.--has the right to target "savage nation" noncombatants in wartime, much to the consternation of the Randroid. Nobody can come to any agreement on intellectual property, slant drilling, or the morality of the income tax.   The rancor generated by their conflicting versions of Natural Rights prevents them from enjoying a pint together. That "objective, discoverable, and rational" thing doesn't work for them. Stupid metaphysicists.
  • Tony Pivetta's picture
    Tony Pivetta 33 weeks 1 day ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Rights (not God, mind you--that would be "mysticism") are the Ventriloquist. Rights theorists are the Ventriloquist's dummies. There is (or is not) a Right to civilian safety in wartime, "reproductive choice," intellectual property, slant drilling in oil fields, collecting 100 percent of one's income. The dummies all disagree. But they all know Rights exist nonetheless, on a Platonic plane (not Heaven, mind you--that would be "mysticism") somewhere.    Likewise, the horse I see before me is not a real horse. The real horse exists on a Platonic plane. As does the horse's shit. The horse and horseshit I see before me, in the here-and-now, are not real. For the real horse and real horseshit, I have to visit the Platonic plane.    So it is with Rights. What Rights I do or do not enjoy in sensory-sensual space-time are meaningless. All that matters is Platonic Rights. You'll find them right next to the Platonic horseshit. It's all so rational!
    Samarami 33 weeks 1 day ago Web link KenK
    This comment to the article (by Popular Science of all folks) augments a comment I just made to Ken on another thread. My ongoing mantra is that the human family is the only legitimate governing unit. Others are merely coercive interlopers, enforcing their "jurisdiction" with loaded firearms. I look forward to the day that genuine anarchy prevails, and those intruders are all cast into outer darkness. I have no idea how it happens that Moms are equipped with this immune-giving and highly nourishing milk when they give birth. All I know for certain is that they are -- most of them. I'm not a religious man, but I consider this function of human procreation a miracle. Watch this old 9 minute video, by a true scientist who appears to be more religious than I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyljukBE70 Sam
    Samarami 33 weeks 2 days ago Web link Westernerd
    I sense in your comment an indwelling, subtle misgiving of hard-shell individualism in deference to comfort in mild collectivism. Now, please don't misinterpret what I'm saying here, Ken: I'm definitely NOT accusing or lumping you in with collectivists. You would not be here and remain here and comment on and participate in the discussions here if you fit that category. You don't. You're an excellent "devil's advocate" for this forum. But use of the thought, or the interpretation '...Stirnerite view that they are "the law unto themselves"...' tells me something about how you approach testing the strength of my argument. So at the outset I must repeat that my oft-used "sovereign state" is itself a test of strength of the reasoning of critics I might have. Many "libertarians" seem to have a knee-jerk emotional reaction to use of the term "state". Well, aren't we supposed to "...hate the state..."??? So if I were (in sobriety) to rephrase it, I would be constrained to use the expression "in a state of sovereignty" (as opposed, for instance, to being in a state of melancholy). But if I did that I'd lose the "state" reaction, which is priceless. So, for now, I'll remain a sovereign state. I do not know how the world about me will play out once central political government collapses and disappears -- never to be resurrected; but replaced by free market, "common law" consequences that you outlined. I hope to be alive and cognizant when that takes place. It will be interesting (in a macabre sort of way, I suppose) to observe how the likes of Charles Manson will fare in a totally free "society". I have a hunch that the entirety of that murderous debacle was exacerbated egregiously by and within the structure of monopoly "justice" existing in California (and the world) at that time. As it is yet today. Will the Charles Mansons in a free world have the capability of getting off first base with their evil deeds? Won't free (and armed) folks have them stopped in their tracks before they leave childhood? I have faith that is how justice will develop once central political "authority" is scuttled once and for all time. Sam
    Samarami 33 weeks 2 days ago
    He Pays No Tax!
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    To repeat an oft-made comment by me, I sort of hope Trump "wins" next month. Not that I have a dog in the fight or believe my world (which revolves around MY belly-button :-] ) will be affected one way or the other. But, like the "Brexit" vote, it could give us some indication as to how many of the unwashed masses are moving in our direction. "Win" or "lose", we can still glean some signal from the vote -- and it will be fun to see how many of the hoi polloi have been able to skinny out from under the constant inundation of the press and, as you mention, the 12 year indoctrination. Each day or week or month I gain an insight or two that solidifies my desire to be and to remain a free, sovereign "state". And I also have an indwelling curiosity as to just what percentage of adults around me are also are absorbing some of the increasing "alternative media" phenomenon. Just when I feel most alone in this thing, someone up or down the street will say or write something that gives me hope. As I commented recently, last time I voted (1964 -- devastated by the trouncing of my hero, Barry Goldwater) there was no such thing as the internet. "Mainstream media" was for the most part all there was. I suspected my new-found friend, Karl Hess, was rather of a kook -- until he introduced me to Harry Browne. Lots of h2o under the bridge and hope for the future. Sam
    KenK 33 weeks 2 days ago Web link Westernerd
    If each "sovereign" person had the Stirnerite view that they are "the law unto themselves" and so acted accordingly, the world we live in would swiftly become a Hobbesian hell, and in very short order, Sam. At least that's how it seems to me. I'm no legal scholar but this is how the whole thing about societal order seems to me to work, (when it works) at optimum. Culture > politics > laws. In a group where most people have shared values about right & wrong, cultural norms (i.e., "laws") are well known, so there's no need for arcane legal webspinning nor any opportunity to lobby lawmakers for special considerations. An ad hoc panel of judges picked by the defendents and plaintiffs themselves should be able to come to some form of settlement both can live with about 99 percent of the time. Persons that ignore court summons or decisions would swiftly find themselves unable to live or do business in a community if they did so by being declared an outlaw.  See Sam, if you are a sovereign state unto to yourself, so is Charlie Manson. (I dont think I need to explain the problems with that, do I?)  If some Amish people, for example, want to live how they like & according to their beliefs, their courts would probably get it right the vast majority of the time (n.b. "right" as in something that everybody can live with.) So revenge, retaliation, "pay backs" etc. are greatly disincentivized.
    Samarami 33 weeks 3 days ago Web link Westernerd
    Absolutely. "...as long as the law remains a state monopoly, there will always be a political struggle for its control..." (John Hasnas, Myth of the Rule of Law) "We" have a long, long hill to climb, Ken. I strongly recommend anybody meditating your above assessment read Hasnas' short essay as linked above. Especially the conclusion, where he states, "...The time has come for those committed to individual liberty to realize that the establishment of a truly free society requires the abandonment of the myth of the rule of law..." Of course Hasnas talks about "...the establishment of a truly free society..." But I do not foresee a critical mass of individuals abandoning the idea of "the-rule-of-law" in order to establish a-truly-free-society. Therefore, I've found it necessary to establish a truly free society. A society of 1. I am a sovereign state. Sam
    KenK 33 weeks 3 days ago Web link Westernerd
    The real answer is abolishing government and government police. The entirety of the legal system should be local courts of justice who seek restorative settlements between parties. The only "crimes", as such, should be the seven (of the original eight) common law felonies. Everything else should be a private tort. Tweeks and reforms to the present system are but tail chasing that lead in circles. If you want to end prosecutors, bureaucrats, judges, and cops abusing us, then we have to end their authority over us entirely.
    Samarami 33 weeks 3 days ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    "...why he continues to be allowed to publish on Strike the Root..." (emphasis decisively mine) And why not??? Would you prefer STR to be an exclusive "club" -- not to permit "...outside..." perspectives? Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 33 weeks 3 days ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    My contention is that "rights" are in reality little more than opinions. However, they possess two essential characteristics: 1.) They must be something that at least a significant portion of the population recognizes as such, and; 2.) they must be things that you have a reasonable chance of defending or restoring, in the event they are abrogated, by either peaceful and/or violent means.   Think about it: If you were alone in the world, would you have "rights?" The entire concept becomes superfluous. We only entertain the idea of "rights" once other humans come into the picture. This pretty much deep-sixes the idea of stand-alone concrete "rights" that don't depend upon outside human approval. Any contention to the contrary, again, is instantly reduceable to mere opinion.    Beyond that, Jim, your need to attack, attempt to belittle, and talk down to anyone who happens to disagree with or distemper you -- even when they present a perfectly valid viewpoint worthy of consideration -- seems to continue unabated, doesn't it?  So you shouldn't wonder when others prefer to sever communication with you altogether.
    Jim Davies 33 weeks 3 days ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I'll take the word of Carl Watner over that of Paul Bonneau any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.   As for rights being a "religious" concept (ie one grounded not in fact and reason but on faith) my STRticle Liberty: Rooted in Rights should dispose of that nonsense. It quotes Murray Rothbard on the subject, in part with "For the assertion of human rights is... because of a rational inquiry into the nature of man and the universe."   Bonneau is therefore setting his opinion against those of two of the most distinguished minds in the libertarian movement, and so once again raises the question of why he continues to be allowed to publish on Strike the Root.
    Samarami 33 weeks 4 days ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Oh, and I intended to comment on your main point: Carl Watner having difficulty letting go of latent statism. I see this as rather of an indisposition suffered by many "libertarian" authors nowadays. To truly strike at the heart of the root seems to create an eerie angst of sorts. Is there such a thing as "collective will"? The term appears to address fear of complete independence or a total individualistic poise that seems to create trepidation within rather than action without. It's almost as if I'm afraid that if I become totally independent -- an individualist -- I cannot be a good neighbor or friend or grandpa. A contagion that must be exorcised, I think, if one is to project good libertarian thought. Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 33 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Armed SA squads were indeed part of the Weimar political unrest the fledgling post-war government couldn't hope to control, and most of their futile efforts to do so were instigated by Allied pressure.   I do feel that any contractor or business that provides products to governments should be expected to know that whatever is supplied will be put to detrimental -- if not in fact nefarious -- ends.  Yes, I think we can safely hold them liable for seeking profits from such a customer base.  In the case of IBM, it's pretty clear that it was known what all the early vacuum-tube computers and punch cards sold to Hitler would be used for.  The tattoos on the arms of camp inmates were the numbers fed into IBM machines for tracking and informational purposes.  Today, there are RFID chips....
    Samarami 33 weeks 4 days ago
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Étienne de La Boétie had a peculiar skill nearly 500 years ago in assessing your quandary: I should like merely to understand how it happens that so many men, so many villages, so many cities, so many nations, sometimes suffer under a single tyrant who has no other power than the power they give him; who is able to harm them only to the extent to which they have the willingness to bear with him; who could do them absolutely no injury unless they preferred to put up with him rather than contradict him. Surely a striking situation! Yet it is so common that one must grieve the more and wonder the less at the spectacle of a million men serving in wretchedness, their necks under the yoke, not constrained by a greater multitude than they. ÉTIENNE DE LA BOÉTIE http://mises.org/rothbard/boetie.pdf Robert Higgs over 5 years ago: https://mises.org/library/consent-governed Apropos for the season, Paul. I hope a much, much larger plurality will take your cue and awaken this fall and choose to abstain from beans. Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 33 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    True that.
    Glock27 33 weeks 4 days ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    The House Boy has effectively utilized the Cloward-Piven strategies for the destruction of the U.S.A. Once that is eventualized, do you honestly believe everything will become a strike-the-root ideology or will this nation become the United States of Communist/Marxist America??? Once a politician becomes elected by the huddled masses, he or she no longer has any interest or use for those people who voted them in. They turn a deaf ear and pursue their idiotic ideologies until it is time for them to come and reason again why they should be re-elected. "Look at all the good I have done for you!" What good. I find it to be craziness. Someone once said that the Constitution was not a legal document. Well. That is accurate and the politicians discovered this years and years ago. I believe, in the final end, which I will more than likely not be around for, this chunk of property will be man-o-ah-man-o! Oh, oh! What will be will be. What say you?
  • Douglas Herman's picture
    Douglas Herman 33 weeks 5 days ago Page Douglas Herman
    LOL - Thanks Paul.  Only saw the first Die Hard movie. Used to live not far from Nakatomi Plaza in Century City. Stalking in Los Angeles: Nakatomi Plaza from Die Hard    Memorable dialogue throughout that action movie, some of it from Hans Gruber. Think Hans was the guy that helped the Clinton Foundation create and fund ISIS.   Die Hard: Hans Meets McClane - YouTube
  • rothbardian's picture
    rothbardian 33 weeks 5 days ago Web link rothbardian
    Sam, The author I'm sure understands your point. He is an ancap as well. At the same time that we abide by our principles, it is useful to understand how we got here. Also, the 17th isn't something people think about. IMO it's useful to show people who are libertarian leaning or minarchist that every thing the State does, no matter how "democratic" sounding, perverts liberty. I get your gut reaction to "school the minarchist" or the person who has the gall to discuss these kinds of "solutions", since they aren't solutions at all. The State doesn't regulate itself or limit its own power.  Again, it's an intellectual exercise. One could criticize Ron Paul and the "End the Fed" crowd for the same reasons.
    Jim Davies 33 weeks 5 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Good job here, Alex. I had not realized that the gun controls were in place before the Nazis took over; I'd thought they were instigated by Hitler.   Did you find in the book any reference to what I thought was the widepread, open use of guns by the Nazi SA before he was elected? - they marched and bullied extensively, I thought with rifles on the shoulder. But if those were all verboten in the Weimar republic, how was that possible? - the SA was not then a State outfit.   By the way (I'm an ex-IBMer) do you feel that a government contractor or supplier should be held responsible for the use to which customers put their products? One can refuse to accept government orders (I did, later, in my small business) but if they are accepted, surely the whole responsibility for use lies with the purchaser? The question becomes the more acute when recalling the orders for unusual quantities of bug poison ordered from I G Farben.
    Paul 33 weeks 6 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Everyone should be armed. It is madness to entrust one's personal security to the murderous state. http://strike-the-root.com/become-dangerous
    Paul 33 weeks 6 days ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    I sometimes wonder at the crap people are willing to put up with, to remain in the government school indoctrination centers. And then they complain about the treatment they get!
  • GregL's picture
    GregL 34 weeks 16 hours ago Web link KenK
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind at all if he indicts Cuomo and Deblasio.
    Samarami 34 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Jonny, it's nice to see your comment. And you're so right. In my comment above I started out by claiming to propose the "answer" to Alex's query, "...What Defines Success in Alcoholics Anonymous?..." But my answer left the heavy side of the puzzle out. Old timers in AA insist one MUST go much further than to say, "I have not had a drink of alcohol today". The genuine answer is: "I have not found it NECESSARY to take a drink today". Because the Big Book never once admonishes the problem drinker to try not to drink. From stem to stern it provides ways of thinking and ways of living that make it UNNECESSARY to take a drink. But in addressing whether and how to stop drinking it insists one must first identify the problem: are you, or are you not (an alcoholic)??? Then, in the first part of Chapter 3 (end of p31 and start of p32 of the above referenced online publication): We do not like to pronounce any individual as alco- holic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to de- cide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowl- edge of your condition. The "program" addresses how we should treat our neighbors, friends, coworkers, family members, etc. It's all about feeling OK about ourselves and our relationships with others. How to get along in a not-too-friendly world without finding it necessary to drink alcohol. So to the analogy with anarchy. Most who will ever read this understand that if everybody -- EVERYBODY -- would stop voting (and "stay stopped") our "problem" would soon be solved. That, along with ceasing to submit confessions to the white man ("file returns -- voluntarily" ha ha) outlining all resources and earnings. That, of course, is a greater hill to climb, because "we" have already given the beast his head in that regard. Reining him in brings forth the only "jurisdiction" in town (outside of family governance) -- loaded firearms in the hands of dangerous criminals. Our friend, Jim Davies, can illuminate a late mutual friend, Irwin Schiff's plight dealing with state gangsters -- and what happens when one attempts to publish and teach truth in an unfree world. But everybody won't. I remember early in my sobriety, I was in the midst of unbelievable lawsuits and parole violations, threats of further incarceration, etc., -- my AA sponsor (of soon to be 40 years) took me aside and admonished: "Sam -- don't TRY to make sense out of the world around you. IT-DOES-NOT-MAKE-SENSE. Just remember that, and you'll never need to drink again!" Sam
    Samarami 34 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "Disutility" is an excellent assessment. And I'm pleased to see the link to your article of over 4 years back. Because I think it might have been that article (and the many comments thereto) that gave rise to my lament concerning lack of participation on so many of these forums of late. The essay was a good one; but it was that, along with the comments it elicited, that inspired me to rate it a "10". I was tempted to make a list of the many participants in that discussion ("pro" and "con") who seem to have totally disappeared. But decided against it for a couple of reasons. To incorporate your remark from a separate recent thread: "...But I don't think we should draw the conclusion that people are losing interest in liberty. Overall I see it going the other way..." Agreed. This thing is not going away. It's here to stay. And, hopefully, to grow exponentially. As an observation on the side, I sort-of hope Trump "wins"; 'tho I could care less one way or another who acquires the title of grand wizard of the klan. But it might indicate finale to mass and docile acceptance of mainstream propaganda on the part of the unwashed masses. Like "Brexit", it might cause them critters to twist and turn some -- but probably not stop the stampede toward destruction. It will no doubt take a drowning in their own phlegm to effect that. Sam
    KenK 34 weeks 1 day ago Web link KenK
    All true, but I'd still like to see Bharara indict Cuomo and Deblasio before he becomes a high priced defense attorney at some primo Manhattan law partnership.
  • GregL's picture
    GregL 34 weeks 1 day ago Web link KenK
    Good riddance to Preet Bharara, but even if he’s not reappointed, I’m sure he’ll be back in some capacity. The fact that he’s going after a few corrupt politicians to pad his resume hardly exonerates him for all the harm he’s done. He’s a politically ambitious statist who has been particularly aggressive in prosecuting the non-crimes of gambling, insider trading, and money laundering. Freedom and personal liberty mean absolutely nothing to him. Besides his vigorous prosecutions against bitcoin and internet gambling and payment processors, he also issued a subpoena and imposed a gag order on Reason Magazine for vague supposed “threats” against the Silk Road judge in its comments section. Reason later condemned the action for "suppressing the speech of journalistic outlets critical of government overreach".
    Paul 34 weeks 1 day ago Web link KenK
    Cities do not pay for them. Taxpayers do. Taxpayer dollars are the easiest dollars to spend.
    Paul 34 weeks 1 day ago Page Douglas Herman
    "But what memorable dialogue did you ever hear in a popular superhero movie? Anything? Ever?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imRk3N2kS4 Just kidding, Douglas. :-) I notice these days, if you want memorable dialog, you have to watch a foreign movie and listen to a translation of the original dialog, heh.
    Paul 34 weeks 1 day ago
    Growing Up
    Page Mark Davis
    Mark, while I generally agree with your article, I must at least question parts of it. First, every parent is an amateur. By the time they (think they) have parenting figured out, they are done being parents. Second, every child is an individual. They react differently to different forms of correction. Just to give an example, Stefan Molyneux takes a similar approach. He has even gone to the extent of telling on his forum, how he handles his girl, and showing videos of it. His method of avoiding spanking and other physical methods, while still stopping his girl from anti-social actions, is to hover constantly over her and to distract her from her actions when she goes wrong. In what way is this supposed to train her in independence from the state, which seeks to do the same thing to all of us? Some kids can take a whack now and then without turning into basket cases, and may even prefer it to long periods of verbal "discussion" (which is hardly a case of two equals coming to terms). So many who preach against spanking think that the alternative of psychological manipulation is without any drawbacks, for some reason. I say, the default should be the methods you discuss. An alternative, if that doesn't work, is just letting the child experience the consequences of poor choices. When that isn't practical either, try something else. Timeouts aren't such a bad idea, while they work. Personally, I think a multiple methods work, and which ones do that, depend on the mental state of the child more than anything, and also on the demeanor of the parent when delivering the correction. What I see happening that disturbs me, is *too much* correction, no matter what method is used. Let 'em know what things are wrong, but then let 'em experience the consequences (within reason). One other thing that I find less convincing from the anti-spanking contingent, are the words they indulge in to describe their opponents in this debate (not you, just generally). It leaves me the distinct impression they are more concerned with delivering a good whack than they are with the welfare of children. OK, one other thing. It's a rare parent who does more damage to their children through inadequate parenting, than the state does to children in government schools.
    Paul 34 weeks 1 day ago
    Ignorance of Bliss
    Page Anarchoblake
    The indoctrination is hard to break, even among the more aware. And as Sam points out, you will never make much headway among the masses. Political economy is far outside their area of expertise. Strangely though, with all these problems, human life does improve over time. I suppose the truth manages somehow to sink in, over the decades. I have noticed some of these trends on forums, especially lately. "My experience of men has neither disposed me to think worse of them, nor indisposed me to serve them; nor, in spite of failures, which I lament, of errors, which I now see and acknowledge, or, of the present state of affairs, do I despair of the future. The march of Providence is so slow, and our desires so impatient, the work of progress is so immense, and our means of aiding it so feeble, the life of humanity is so long, and that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave, and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope." -- Robert E. Lee
    Paul 34 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "the only possible motivation for Dodes’s position is to carve out a name for himself in academia by positioning himself as a “pioneer” in “exposing” AA and 12-step alcohol recovery, all the while selling books, collecting royalties, and getting paid for speaking engagements." Maybe not the *only* possible motivation, but perhaps the most likely. So much for academia... When people are free to speak their minds, inevitably some will be assholes about it. This reminds me a bit of the whacking one sees libertarians administer over recycling, because it is not "economic", etc. Guess what, even in a completely free society, some people will recycle anyway, economic or not. If their own calculations suggest recycling is a good thing, then why is it anybody else's business? Yes, government injects coercion into recycling, but don't they do that with everything? That's not a hit against recycling. I have noted the disutility of criticizing religion before: http://strike-the-root.com/dehumanizing-people-is-fun
    Paul 34 weeks 2 days ago
    Slaves of the Law
    Page Paul Bonneau
    As to where all the people are going, I've noticed too. The Free State Wyoming forum has gone pretty quiet, and Vanderboegh's forum is down (although he was always minarchist). The one forum I'm on that is hopping is NW Firearms, and the moderators do their best to keep overt political comment completely off, although that has got to be difficult with a subject like firearms. Maybe people are getting tired of being reminded they are slaves and powerless. Can't say I blame them. Maybe this article was a mistake! But I don't think we should draw the conclusion that people are losing interest in liberty. Overall I see it going the other way.
    Paul 34 weeks 2 days ago
    Slaves of the Law
    Page Paul Bonneau
    "but I fear liberty ain't gaining any ground with it either tho." Missouri is now the what, 10th or 11th state to recognize "constitutional carry"? Progress is being made somehow... Of course these are again, actions of the legislature. Better than nothing for them to decriminalize something innocent, but not as good as everybody just carrying despite what the law says about it.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 34 weeks 2 days ago Web link Westernerd
    Congratulations!  You searched really hard and found this example of migrants committing crimes.  Do you imagine that no crimes are committed by people born in the UK?  But those don't interest you, do they?  They don't help you grind your axe.
    Samarami 34 weeks 3 days ago Web link rothbardian
    Nichta: "...Getting power out of Washington and into the hands of the people and local governments will move 'us' toward re-establishing what the Framers of the Constitution sought to create: a nation of liberty. Repealing the 17th Amendment is a step in that direction..." Once one allows the term "power" into his or her vocabulary, s/he's no longer thinking in terms of liberty and freedom. Her mindset is locked in serfdom. I mean, where is "Washington"??? And where are "...the hands of the people..."??? How local is local??? Just what, exactly, are you talking about when you say "...re-establishing-what-the-Framers-of-'the'-Constitution..."??? And who is the "us" that are going to do the re-establishing??? If "it" was once established, what happened, and why is "it" so egregious that "it" needs to be "re-established"??? Anarchy is simple, and it's free. Sam
    KenK 35 weeks 2 days ago Web link KenK
    On election night 2008 after he was declared winner, Obama made his triumphal appearence in Chicago with Roman Empire style imperial columns, which looked to me over wrought and cheesy, but I gave the guy the benefit, that he probably didn't know any better or that maybe that's what was arranged for him by his staff. Read this piece and you'll see that this guy is really believes that HISTORY, in the Marxist sense, CHOSE him to lead AmeriKKKa out of the darkness and into the light of SJW approved modernity. Bottom line: What an asshole.
    KenK 35 weeks 2 days ago Web link KenK
    "Legal money" in the sense that it isn't counterfeit or an attempt to defraud.
    Samarami 35 weeks 2 days ago
    Growing Up
    Page Mark Davis
    Having a total distaste for the funeral phenomenon, I've donated my rangy old cadaver to the local med school anatomical dept with specific instruction: no liturgy, no "memorial service", no urn full of ashes, no obit, no crap. "...If you wanta say nice bull-crap about me, say it now -- when I can hear it! If you wanta get me flowers, get 'em now -- while I can smell 'em!..." In having one of those animated discussions at a family gathering some time back, one of my sons, always the jokester, announced: "Hey guys! Let's have Dad's funeral next week!" Sam