rita 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    The feds have no right to ban the possession, use or sale of ANY commodity, so as long as the "people" allow the proihibition of any drug, the people have no standing to complain about the feds overstepping their "rights." Medical marijuana is slave-talk. The only thing that prescription-only marijuana does is allow a certain few of us to ask the masters' permission to live our lives. Well, if you have to ask someone else's permission to live, what does that make you, if not a slave? And slaves have NO rights.
    rita 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    Okay, is there anyone out there who doesn't know that TSA agents are professional child molestors? (Boy, talk about turning a personality disorder into a career) Fly if you must, but for Christ's sake, protect your children -- leave them HOME.
    rita 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Carrie Burdzinski
    There's a lesson, here, in these hypothetical scenarios where hypothetical parents, given opportunities to have actual conversations with their children, opt for alienation instead. THAT'S what the masters want; that's why they constantly urge parents to lie to their children about drugs, why they encourage kids to snitch on drug-using parents. Because alienated children make such good weapons. Nowhere is the evil of government more evident than in this blatant use of children as pawns, but you gotta ask, what kind of evil lurks in the hearts of parents who allow it to happen.
  • ElasahBazlith's picture
    ElasahBazlith 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    Look at it this way, T S A ... it is just telling you, (tea sah), Teaser. Let us just say that the whole story leads to the tormentor. It must be true for the minikin american, this is due to the lack of being fremescent. That is right, ------ go to The Friend. Enjoy the interminable sufferings. How jugal. Care to cherish the fester?
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Michael Kleen
    Michael, thank you for providing this and your earlier writings on Nietzsche. I have always found him (like Sartre) difficult to read and full of contradictions and non sequiturs and flowery but unclear writing. As a result I have not read him extensively. After reading this essay and your earlier one, I have to ask you a question. It seems that Nietzsche has a kind of ambivalent attitude to the state. At times he seems to revile it, yet when it comes to the creation of the state (or its germ) as you described here, he seems to feel it a positive thing because it supports his bias toward the spirit of genius that cultivates the "arts" -- whatever they may be perceived to be at the time (either philosophy or the other artistic endeavors). In that sense, is he much different from those who support state coercion so that they can have their symphonies and operas? I find this question difficult to express, and I'm hoping you can clarify it a bit. Do you find these ambiguities in your readings of him? Thanks again for introducing this view on Nietzsche.
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Arizona Secession
    Web link Michael Dunn
    In an earlier version of this story (March 15, 2011) there were a few additional items, such as this one: "[People in Baja Arizona] actually want to stay in the union. It seems Arizona doesn't." I republished it here: http://tinyurl.com/3vlsf9f A libertarian gets split between the political wishes of the two "camps", neither "camp" is fully libertarian, but what one camp lacks, the other has. Perhaps we can split Arizona THREE ways. (Any "libertarian" split would HAVE to get my property away from the domain claimed by NINE Star 'Jeneral Joe' Arpaio!!) http://tinyurl.com/Jeneral-Joe
  • ctrev's picture
    ctrev 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Of course, everyone including you, has a right to their opinion and a right to share it. I for one, do not look to Aljazeera for information which is the source of this article. States rights refers to political powers and in this regard any "state" has a "right" to exist. Time and again peaceful coexistence has been rejected, not on the part of Israel.
  • Michael Dunn's picture
    Michael Dunn 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Big Box Monsters
    Web link Michael Dunn
    You may be right, I guess I was focusing on areas where I agreed with him regarding a problem and hadn't disregarded his concerns because we have different solutions. The author makes the all to common error of conflating capitalism with corporatism, which certainly creates some gaping holes. However, all though he seems to be confused about capitalism and socialism and the false left- right paradigm, in the end he really is calling attention to the power of the consumer. So maybe he is a future voluntaryist.
  • Michael Dunn's picture
    Michael Dunn 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Life Sentence for Weed
    Web link Michael Dunn
    I can't believe I didn't realize my mistake actually, that's funny. It would have to be some killer weed to call it fauna.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Big Box Monsters
    Web link Michael Dunn
    Well Michael, I can understand why the article "resonates" with you if you're a small business owner. But the author, Dale Ahlquist, appears to be a raging socialist ("Capitalism creates holes; Socialism fills them"). He hardly seems like someone worthy to quote on STR.
    rita 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Carrie Burdzinski
    And so the boy, resentful of his father's self-righteousness, rides his bike to the home of his latchkey buddy and spends the rest of the day without parental guidance. The girl, dissatisfied and still HUNGRY, waits until Mom is asleep and devours not only the cake but a huge bowl of ice cream as well. Mission accomplished.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Life Sentence for Weed
    Web link Michael Dunn
    Ooops, double post. My apologies.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Life Sentence for Weed
    Web link Michael Dunn
    Actually, I think fauna refers to animal life, whereas flora refers to plant life...
  • B.R. Merrick's picture
    B.R. Merrick 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Carrie Burdzinski
    Terrific! "As with all government propaganda, fear, guilt, and authority are used in potent combination to influence and control children through the We Can! campaign." The government behaves this way because people still operate under the ideas of superior vs. inferior and "right" vs. "wrong." They also insist on having a government that looks, acts, and smells like them. This article reminds me of a thought I had while driving to work this morning: Government schools are like a bastardized, governmental version of a polygamous household. The principal is the father, the teachers are the mothers, and the children are forced to "do the dishes" endlessly. Why not discuss in front of other family members when one of the children has erred and is carrying around "too much body fat"? The thoughts so carefully delineated here reveal that government's desire to have its say in natural human relationships, and governmental efforts at recreating the naturally developed society it sees all around, are bound to fail. We Can't!, Michelle. We Really, Really Can't! I Can!, however. :)
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    Greetings ElasahBazlith, You may find THIS helpful for your next "little silphology". ;)
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    If we wash away all the extraneous babble, (of which there is much), the bottom line, as they say, is, "nothing teaches like experience".
  • ElasahBazlith's picture
    ElasahBazlith 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    modality The jussive mood and they claim necessity? To think it might just be a butterfly effect. A look in the mirror. How to start the day? Shall you remain outfaced by mirror? The pleochroic thought washed through your mind of granting plenitudinary power or destroying the tyrants and the effect it would have on present and future children. Snack time as one tyre. Ignorance is the curse of God. Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to heaven. How is that for a fount? Become the factotum. Nor let thy conquests only be her orexis of prow. My little silphology, nothing teaches like experience.
    tzo 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    For anyone interested in digging deeper into Tao Te Ching: http://openlibrary.org/books/OL13510563M/Lao-Tze%27s_Tao-teh-king_Chines...
  • B.R. Merrick's picture
    B.R. Merrick 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Understanding Rand
    Web link Don Stacy
    I like a lot of what Hunter Baker says here. Then there's this: "The underlying moral is that we must not make too great a claim to control the inventors and entrepreneurs lest we frustrate them into inactivity. Though we think we gain by taxing and regulating their efforts, there is a strong possibility that we will lose a great deal more by blocking the creative impulse and inspiring a parasitic ethic of entitlement." Phrases like "too great a claim to control" and "there is a strong possibility that we will lose" are understatements. It is the desire to "claim to control" that will turn the "strong possibility" into an eventual outcome, as I see it. Rand's biggest message is clearer and stronger than that: Leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone as well. This is what moves the world, no matter what some of her false premises might have been.
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    This "student" missed the salient point of the lecture, IMO. "But in order to spread the ideas of freedom, you must first become a free person[sic]." "It is not enough to understand the definitions and theories relating to freedom—freedom must be lived and experienced—..." "One can consult a dictionary for their definitions, and one can read all about them in encyclopedias, but until they are experienced, they cannot be truly understood." "One cannot properly call himself a Voluntaryist if he only understands the concepts on an intellectual level." That, is the "first, minimal state of enlightenment".
    Glen Allport 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    Thanks for the tenbulls page; very nice. I have physical copies of the Gia Fu Feng & Jane English translation at home; bought them many years ago and re-read them every few years. I love English's gorgeous b/w photos and it seems strange now when I see the text without them. Also, most other translations (there must be hundreds, including one by SciFi author Ursula K. Le Guin [ http://www.amazon.com/Lao-Tzu-Ching-about-Power/dp/1590307445/ref=sr_1_3... ]) are very different and none grab me the way this one does.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Derek Henson
    Yes, I agree that corporations making in excess of a billion dollars need to pay more taxes. Look at China, all businesses must pay taxes, and you can see how they are beefing up their infrastructure and technology. "Bang-em High !"
    tzo 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    Thanks, Glen, I appreciate the kind words. And I agree with you that all the minarchist people and ideas are invaluable as far as being part of the learning process. But if a person confuses minarchy with freedom, he may become stuck in that rut for a very long time—and in fact may never get out of it, as you pointed out. I believe the student was treating all the minarchist people and ideas as ends—confusing them with freedom itself—and this is what the master wanted to point out with his blunt statement. The student will now have in the back of his mind that the master has a different opinion of what freedom is, and so will ask himself—even as he admires Ron Paul speeches—why is this not good enough for the master? Having that seed planted, if he wants to make it grow, he can. Also, I have that same translation of the Tao Te Ching at home http://www.amazon.com/Ching-25th-Anniversary-English-Mandarin-Chinese/dp... and I always enjoy going through it every once in a while. One of my other favorite bits of Zen is the Ten Bulls http://www.iloveulove.com/spirituality/buddhist/tenbulls.htm
    Glen Allport 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Zenigma
    Page tzo
    Tzo, this is a gem. The writing and the sensibility underlying your text put me in mind of the Gia Fu Feng & Jane English translation of the Tao Te Ching: http://www.thebigview.com/download/tao-te-ching-illustrated.pdf Actually, Lao-Tzu's text has a number of sections I find bizarre -- probably my own failing, but still, the point is "Zenigma" doesn't suffer from that, so it's BETTER than the Tao Te Ching! Alright, I'm being silly -- maybe -- but I like your column a lot. And I agree with you: 20 years sounds about right. For the more promising students, anyway. Most won't get there. Hell, most won't even start the trip. I think that for those who DO start along that road, most early students WILL be well-served to read Jefferson and to seek out a variety of material, some of which will not be voluntaryist but merely minarchist (this, because their first Master won't be you or any other voluntaryist). Learning the difference is part of the journey. And to even BEGIN, the student must first be awakened to the topic, and attracted to it enough to begin investing time and energy in learning more. Until there is a voluntaryist star (of whatever type) bright enough to draw the eyes of millions of potential students, I'll continue supporting efforts to awaken people to the basic idea of freedom. I don't have to agree with Paul's (for example) every thought to appreciate that many who are voluntaryists today began their journey at the signpost of small-government libertarianism. People have to start somewhere, and Paul is the most powerful and successful contemporary figure encouraging people to start thinking about what State coercion really means. Aside from that small difference (seems small to me, anyway) of approach or opinion, "Zenigma" seems perfect to me. Thanks for writing it.
    rita 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    I'm thinking of starting a "no-call" list --
    Paul 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Thanks, guys. BTW I didn't assume that you necessarily agreed with the article, Westernerd, but that you more likely posted it for exactly the reasons you state.
    Natural Law
    Web link Don Stacy
    "The natural law is, in essence, a profoundly “radical” ethic, for it holds the existing status quo, which might grossly violate natural law, up to the unsparing and unyielding light of reason. In the realm of politics or State action, the natural law presents man with a set of norms which may well be radically critical of existing positive law imposed by the State. At this point, we need only stress that the very existence of a natural law discoverable by reason is a potentially powerful threat to the status quo and a standing reproach to the reign of blindly traditional custom [common law] or the arbitrary will of the State apparatus [statute law]. In fact, the legal principles of any society can be established in three alternate ways: ...by slavish conformity to custom [common law], by arbitrary whim [statute law], or by use of man’s reason [natural law]". ~ Murray N. Rothbard http://mises.org/rothbard/ethics/one.asp http://mises.org/rothbard/ethics/two.asp http://mises.org/rothbard/ethics/three.asp My thanks go to tzo for reminding me of these.
    Glen Allport 3 years 19 weeks ago Page B.R. Merrick
    What a joy to read something where the political AND the psychological commentary seem warm, human, and quite on-the-mark. Great job, B.R. My wife loves the film but I haven't had an interest in seeing it; now I do.
  • Guest's picture
    Temujin (not verified) 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Yeah! Stick it to those banks! Defaulting on your mortgage is a moral and ethical imperative! >.<
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago
    Abolish The Pentagon!
    Web link Westernerd
    I think there was a man trying to downsize the power of the Pentacon, but his head was ventilated back in 1963. I think you know their position today......we're heading into a world wide police force !
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    That's why we can't see those "shocking" photos of Bin Laden, they're too "Gorey" ! I knew the green laws were coming back in 1991 under the CFC law. Now, it's the HCFC law. Tomorrow, it will be the blends of refrigerant, which are declared safe. A stroke of a pen is all they are using against us. Strike the Root and it'll all go away for prosperity. Let it live, and eventually it'll consume the Federal Government. With the States surrendering to the Feds, it'll all fall down like a house of cards. Everyone is already burning moonshine in their gas tanks, which was outlawed and thousands of bootleggers killed. Ah, Oh, Ok, it was outlawed then, but it's Ok now. Besides, we have a bigger war to fight: The War on Drugs ! God bless what ?
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Scott Lazarowitz
    The way I see this is if the individual states surrender to the Federal Government, then you will have a state like Libya. If you stop feeding the infamous dragon, it'll die ! The more you feed it, the more it will turn against you for more food. It's turning into a Federalist State everyday. All it will take is another False Flag and all hell will break loose.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Scott Lazarowitz
    Besides, all these diversities just only get in the way of the Lunar Lander, or the last launch of the Shuttle Endeavor !
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Page R. K. Blacksher
    Political correctness is: Only when you think the way the government wants you to think. If you do not believe the way the White House wants you to think, you're a menace to society. You could be falsely jailed, or assassinated by some lone-nut gunman ! You can't have Abbie Hoffman's and John Lennon's running around all over the place.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Wait a minute now, we can think outside of a box !
    KenK 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "Citizenship" is this case is merely a rubric conferred by statist entities to establish a claim on people's life and liberty, which I don't recognize, and so I dismiss that part of Greenwald's argument with further consideration. Where al-Alawki was born is a totally irrelevant consideration to anybody but head-in-the-sand statist assholes like Greenwald anyhow. If some nut-job Islamist was trying to burn Greenwald and his same sex partner at the stake for being gay I dare say Greenie would be more than happy to have gun toting sailors blow him to smithereens without benefit of any bourgeois nanny-state legal considerations. As would we all reading this I daresay. Greenwald wants the state to protect him and his but wants to be protected in such a way that leaves him with a warm fuzzy feeling about due process at the end of it all. Good luck with that Greenie.
    Paul 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Unfortunately it suffers some of the same problems as the farm analogy.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Page Paul Hein
    Good story, I'm moving to Valley Park ! Baltimore Maryland has been sold to the illegal immigrants.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Great job ! Good poem.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Great job ! Good poem.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Disarmament is just a way to be subdued ! Do you think America would ever disarm ? Fat chance !
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Improve educational system ? It was ! Our government through the department of education has deliberately lowered the standards, so the instructors could make wealth, and force parents to pay for the "missed" education at the college curriculum level. Pure and simple: Business, to rape the public.
    jeffydiver 3 years 19 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Yeah, it's amazing to watch our leaders retire in plush wealth while we suffer with economic disasters.
    rita 3 years 20 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Ah, but for our exalted leaders and their minions, it HAS BEEN "worth the price" -- every cent, every human life, every last bit of the shredded constitution. It was all about increasing their power. Everything about the great "war on terror," like everything about the holy "war on drugs," including its much-lamented "failure" to protect the public, is a lie.
    Paul 3 years 20 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    A nice turn of phrase: "That US foreign policy is the product of a venal calculus centered on the interests of imperialists is never really the message; no, that would be just too indecorous, too honest, a way to discuss the decision-making of our sage overlords. Instead, the takeaway message is always that complex, strategic alliances, necessary for the preservation of those consecrated “national interests,” sometimes make odd bedfellows, but that we should never question their underlying wisdom."
    Paul 3 years 20 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    I commented in another forum: --------------- Keep in mind that an index like this is an aggregation of factors, not all of which should be considered positive from one's own point of view. For example, the article states, "While the Lone Star State may not be perfect—many leaders would like to see improvements in its education system..." By that one can guess that one measure of "goodness" in this Index is something like per-capita expenditures of tax dollars for "edjookashun" (I have not verified this by examining their model, it's just a guess). Personally I would consider that a negative, not a positive. Businessmen are not consistently pro-freedom.
    Paul 3 years 20 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Looks like it is Julia Ward Howe, not Julia Howard Stowe. And disarmament is not a way to peace, either. Anarchy is.
    Paul 3 years 20 weeks ago Page B.R. Merrick
    Good one, B.R. I too enjoyed the movie. My wife has a fondness for what I suppose could be called the "Masterpiece Theatre" genre, angst among the English ruling class. Heaven knows why. But we did see and enjoy the movie. I too have little use for the concept of blame. I've been on forums where assigning blame seems to be the primary activity. It seems a little childish to me.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 3 years 20 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    To the tune of Yankee Doodle Dandy: QUILLY WILLY FREE-QUILL by Richard Onley Quilly Willy rode the flag On field of black and yellow. It's time the snake vacated for A more congenial fellow. Quilly Willy, shed the tread! Quilly Willy free-quill, Stick up for the points you make-- All porcs debated e-quill. Quilly Willy stands upon The "DON'T TREAD ON ME" slogan. Pay attention, or you'll get His needles through your brogan Quilly Willy rides the flag's Ebon and amaryllis No room to put his motto From the Latin: Cave quill-us. Quilly Willy went to Gun Church Riding on a scooter Guess it should be no surprise That he's a real sharp-shooter Quilly Willy went to Grafton Riding on a walrus Hoping to swim out to meet The Peaceful Plesiosaurus Quilly Willy, shed the tread! Quilly Willy free-quill If Porc weight doesn't sink the raft The 'pine-spine-punctured leak-will Quilly Willy hied Southwest To meet up with a cactus Both agreed upon the point: To get sharp--better practice! Quilly Willy hates the State, And blushes when admitting That if New Hampshire's President Was Franklin Pierce, that's fitting. He liked the name, but not the fact Pierce was a politician "I'd much prefer that Hawkeye guy-- An honest, brave physician." Quilly Willy told the cops, "Stop pushing and stop shoving. Porcs know that in this sad world, we All needle-little loving."
    Suverans2 3 years 20 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    I do not consent to be a subject of the "Obama Administration", just like I didn't consent to be a subject of the "Bush Administration", just like I didn't consent to be a subject of the "Clinton Administration". Your masters may one day murder me, Michael Kleen, but nevertheless, I DO NOT CONSENT, I DO NOT CONSENT, I DO NOT CONSENT! Actus me invito factus, non est meus actus.