KenK 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    I am surprised to even see this on STR. These SOTU propaganda spectacles can't be of that much interest to anti-state types like gather here. Nice to hear from Anthony though.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Dogs are valuable property; drug dealers diminish property values.
    rita 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Funny the public uproar when a cop shoots a dog, but when a cop shoots a suspected drug dealer, nobody seems to care.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Pot, kettle, black. Mr. Gregory is a consummate Statist himself, vigorously defending city-Statism (civilization) in previous articles. Thus, he holds a contradiction; I recommend he check his premises.
    Samarami 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Guest
    It's interesting that state media types came up with terms a few years ago in their endless "subliminal" quest to defuse grumbling about the thievery by predators of state: "sectors". We're often treated with deep discussions pertaining to the "private sector" vs the "public sector", etc etc. Ever so often I think they talk about other "sectors", but I couldn't tell you what they are. But if you take just a cursory look, there are two sectors: a producing sector and a parasitical sector. Franz Oppenheimer would say a "work sector" and a "robbery sector": There are two fundamentally opposed means whereby man, requiring sustenance, is impelled to obtain the necessary means for satisfying his desires. These are work and robbery, one's own labor and the forcible appropriation of the labor of others. . . . I propose in the following discussion to call one's own labor and the equivalent exchange of one's own labor for the labor of others, the "economic means" for the satisfaction of need while the unrequited appropriation of the labor of others will be called the "political means". . . . The State is an organization of the political means. No State, therefore, can come into being until the economic means has created a definite number of objects for the satisfaction of needs, which objects may be taken away or appropriated by warlike robbery. Franz Oppenheimer, The State (New York: Vanguard Press, 1926) pp. 24-27 http://www.franz-oppenheimer.de/state0.htm Sam
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Hello Sam, Yeppers, independent thinkers are definitely mentally ill, in fact, that is what I told the psychiatrist, more or less.
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Thanks, Dennis. I checked out ELIZA at wiki but I've not yet played around with it like Sam did. (That was then, this is now. I tried it out. Pretty basic, but cool, nonetheless. Thanks.) So, basically I've kinda been "talking" to myself. I better go check in with the Computer Therapist. lol
    Samarami 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Suverans2, I appreciate the link to "psychopaths", but having just climbed off a truck from a long day's trek I'm going to shelve it for now. I have to stay with light stuff when thinking in terms of the psyche, like this. Or my old friend Wendy. After that I can go a little deeper, such as Thomas Szasz's The Myth of Mental Illness. (Thanks again for the HTML help, Suverans2! Now let's see if they work :-[ ). As you can see, I tend to eschew the psychiatric hand-wringing for cases like mine. This guy's bottom line seems to go along medical party line thinking: medicate, incarcerate, psychoanalyze (over and over until death do us part). We're all here 'cause we ain't all there. Right, Injun? I'm veering away from "ism's" (like "libertarianism"), or "ian's" (like "libertarian"), and ist's (as in "anarchist"), and simply staying with freedom. White Indian has helped me focus on steering clear of ism's and ian's and ist's. They end up representing a target for name calling and grouping and tagging. I don't have time any more for that -- I'm gettin' old, gentlemen! I'm free. Anybody wants to debate that I can't be a truly free man in an occupied land, be my guest. You're probably saying more about yourself than you are about me when you try to dispute that point anyhow -- you ain't me. If there're any psychopaths about, just whittle out a few essays or posts here at STR. That'll cure ye. Eventually. I think. Regards, Sam
    Samarami 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Dennis, I did the ELIZA skit. Pretty cool for 60's technology. But I think I had the little gal in the box pissed. Kept turning the questions back at her. She didn't know how to handle old farts like me playing with the program. Reminded me of a few psychiatrists I faced before I finally quit drinking and got off the white man's "paper". Regards, Sam.
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Sam, Suverans, Try out the ELIZA link I provided. ELIZA was programmed 50 years ago. AI has come a long way since then. See the wiki link for details on how far. The reason you get no real answers is because you are "talking" to an updated version of ELIZA, complete with screen scrapers, extensive data bases and AI "learning" tools. Even so, the methodology is easy to see, especially if you spend some "quality time" at the link, "talking" to ELIZA. Is Jim Davies around? His IBM background should be able to back me up on this. Dennis
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Sam, Notice the inflammatory word, "parrot", in the TROLL's reply. 7. Trolls do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy. And, when someone, wearing the masque of TROLL, consistently breaks the basic rules of "etiquette" and "common courtesy" when communicating with me, I eventually tell them to "gfy". But, evidently, lacking the human quality commonly called "empathy", (the ability to understand how someone feels because you can imagine what it is like to be them), they cannot understand why anyone would 'say' that to them.
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    G'day Sam, I know exactly how you feel. Am I mistaken, or was your simple question, "Who would you include as being part of the "in" group at STR?", not answered?
    Samarami 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Indian: The in-group at STR is just like a Fundamentalist congregation. I'm curious. Who would you include as being part of the "in" group at STR? I ask this as one who has spent much of his life feeling like a man on the outside looking in. Eventually I had to get sober. Sam
    KenK 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Guest
    Good point.
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    And, the sad truth about Ron Paul, (as much as I like many of the words that come out of this man's mouth), is that he promotes the idea that if the citizen/subjects of the realm elect him to wear the PRESIDENTIAL masque, he can be their "political saviour".
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    "The danger with [all] modern State of the Union addresses is...that they encourage the Wilsonian view that ...presidents are political saviors...." ~ Peter Ubertaccio [Taken out of context for the purpose of emphasis] Thanks for the article and this link, Emmett Harris. The Sad Truths of Internet Trolls: 1. Trolls enjoy using shock-value statements, [and bald-faced lies], to get angry responses from others. 2. Trolls gain energy by you insulting them. 3. Trolls gain energy when you get angry. 4. Trolls are immune to criticism and logical arguments. True trolls cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how sound your logical argument is. 5. Trolls do not feel remorse like you and me. They have sociopathic tendencies, and accordingly, they delight in other people having hurt feelings. 6. Trolls consider themselves separate from the social order. 7. Trolls do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy. 8. Trolls consider themselves above social responsibility. 9. The only way to deal with a troll is to ignore him, or take away his ability to post online. gfywi More information can be found here: What Is an Internet 'Troll'? ~ About.com Internet for Beginners [Amended]
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    "Dangerous speech." What is "dangerous" about speech? Is it about blasphemy? Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! "Dangerous Speech" is the first systematic treatment of blasphemous speech in colonial Mexico. This engaging social history examines the representation of blasphemy as a sin and a crime, and its repression by the Spanish Inquisition. Dangerous Speech: A Social History of Blasphemy in Colonial Mexico Author: Javier Villa-Flores Publisher: University of Arizona Press (November 15, 2006)
  • Emmett Harris's picture
    Emmett Harris 5 years 4 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    Thanks, Jim!
    Jim Davies 5 years 4 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    Excellent, Emmett - thank you! Funny thing, but I didn't hear a political party SOTU response anywhere close to this clear.
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Here is a direct link to a current version of ELIZA. Not as sophisticated as what we have seen here on STR, but the responses are immediate. http://www.manifestation.com/neurotoys/eliza.php3 Give the link a try. The Artificial Intelligence (AI) field is quite advanced from this early effort. Dennis
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    It confessed that it is ELIZA. Indeed, it is a child version of "ELIZA" and "Abuse" computer programs with natural language processing. It screen scraped "Abuse" and "Eliza" along with generated non-sequiters from its prior post link and the person who put the program on "STR" adds an update tweak here and there to muddy the water for all we know.
    Samarami 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    When I attempt to define terms I know little about I'm only engaging in "grouping and tagging". I do some of that, I'm sorry to say. Usually when I've had a bad day or can't convince the world (whatever that is) to think as I believe they should think. To some, "anarchism" means "No authority. Period." regardless of "arch" content of the word. OK. Have it your way. To others, libertarians "sift out the authority above them that they rebel and rant....." OK. No problem. Some might even be guilty of that behavior at times. All I know is this: I'm free. I'm sovereign. I've fielded every argument from every brand of serf and slave in town. And I remain free. For an old timer, that's money in the bank. (No, I don't mean federal reserve notes.) Sam
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    Seems to fit pretty well. Wow. I looked at the wiki link for ELIZA and found: "There are many programs based on ELIZA in different programming languages. For example, in 1980, a company called "Don't Ask Software", founded by Randy Simon, created a version called "Abuse" for the Apple II, Atari, and Commodore PCs, which verbally abused the user based on the user's input. Other versions adapted ELIZA around a religious theme, such as ones featuring Jesus (both serious and comedic) and another Apple II variant called I Am Buddha".
    Samarami 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    From the article: The word ‘anarchy’ in Greek means "no authority." Anarchists’ central belief is that “no man is good enough to be another man’s master,” Anarchy is defined as having no political authority. The definition does not indicate no parental authority -- or even no community (common law) authority. Read John Hasnass' The Obviousness of Anarchy: http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/Obvious.pdf As I see it, when even well-meaning writers (such as Hanan Solayman of the Egypt Daily News may be) becloud correct definitions they change the perception of the reader. Mis-definition is the hallmark of politically correct -- and politically connected -- media, as most of us know. Egypt’s anarchists are anticipating a crackdown before the first anniversary of the January 25 uprising. They are perceived as seeking chaos; villains who want to bring down the state, defy authority and spread lawlessness . (emphasis mine) It is my observation that true anarchists do not join or support "movements", steer clear of mass "protests", have no reason to wring their hands and lament the tyrannical but predictable evolution of organized states. There is a distinct need on the part of governmentalists to redefine anarchy. Indifference is the anathema of functionaries of civil government. The real anarchists are not included in the photo in the article. They are at home, quietly but effectively influencing their families and their neighbors. Some may even be editing a response to STR. Sam
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    I've been away from STR for some time. It looks like the site has been invaded by an updated ELIZA program... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    Me too; +1. But you can't fool Mother Nature. Well, maybe for 10,000 years or so, but that's only 0.0125% of the time humans have been sailing the oceans (800,000 years, yep, the archeological evidence is in.) Modern reality = brief anomaly. Myself, I'm willing to learn from 0.0125% of time everybody knows and thinks is the only way humans can ever live, as long as you're willing to learn from 99.9875% of humanity's time on earth. P.S. I'm raising some hellions myself, never to darken the door of a public school.
  • Sharon Secor's picture
    Sharon Secor 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    I believe with all my heart, with my whole self, that we -- the rebels -- will *always* find a way. After all, there are those of us that, in addition to practicing resistance, are raising revolutionaries.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    Nothing has changed for our Crow and Dolphin cousins on the evolutionary Tree of Life for many millions of years. They're still happy. Is their happiness "permanent" or "temporary?" Much hopey changey has happened to humans. Now we have nuclear weapons, Fukushima, Monsanto, FEMA, slave labor building our MacBookPros, and Newt Paul on some babbling device that was supposed to be educational.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    KenK, it damn well better be as good as both seasons of Jericho, because I just ordered both seasons of Dark Angel on your word.
  • Gwardion's picture
    Gwardion 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    "We" have been able to change a lot of things. Doubting change is doubting nature. History is replete with change, "permanent" and "temporary". The only thing that will insure nothing changes, is if we don't try.
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    From the article: "Your stolen tax payer dollars also pay for the SWAT team that killed an American veteran here in Tucson, Arizona. Shot dozens of times in cold blood and left to die. Theft and murder on a grand scale in broad daylight and no one held accountable." For details regarding ex-Marine Jose Guerena see...: http://tinyurl.com/Remember-Jose
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    From the article: “However, within the current context, nobody in his right mind can ask for the army to be dissolved,” he noted. The army, like any other national institution, should be under the control of elected civilians and its budget revised by people's representatives to protect national security, he added. THIS is a big mistake! The army should be DISBANDED and all of the guns distributed to all men and women over 15. If ALL the citizens had guns, like in the USA, there would be NO NEED for an army--or a government police force!. See link below for citizen ownership of guns in the USA and second link below for the DANGER that the standing army presents to ALL Egyptians. BOTH of these issues were major concerns for the Founding Fathers of the USA. There is NO possible way that ANY invading force could conquer a fully armed Egyptian population--and NO possible way for freedom to prevail with a standing army. Egypt's 81 million people is larger than ANY army in the world! All they need is to be armed--as are the American people.. The Right to Bear Arms: Over 10,800,000 Guns Sold in the USA in 2011 American citizens have purchased more than 800 MILLION guns in the last 10 years! (There are only 312 Million American citizens.) http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/the-right-to-bear-arms-over-108000... According to Eric Margolis at http://lewrockwell.com/margolis/margolis278.html Even if parliament achieves [ a new constitution validated by a national referendum ], it will then have to confront Egypt’s 500,000-man military and equally numerous internal security forces. So far, Egypt’s military, which is financed, armed and sustained by Washington, has thrown former dictator Mubarak to the wolves to appease popular anger, but it has barely given an inch on other key issues. A year after the Tahrir Square revolution, Egypt remains a brutal police state where opponents of the regime and critics disappear, are tortured, and jailed in the thousands. Male and female rape and savage beatings remain standard punishments for protestors and bloggers. The military and security forces still control much of the nation’s high ground, including most of the media, academia, the courts and industry. Egypt’s US-backed military has been used to ruling Egypt for two generations. The generals own between a third and two thirds of Egypt’s key businesses or real estate and enjoy lavish perks and a cushy lifestyle. The military’s senior officers have been trained by the US, vetted by CIA, and are joined at the hip to the Pentagon in much the same manner as were Latin America’s generals in the 60’s and 70’s. Washington gives Egypt’s military $1.3 billion annually, controls its flow of weapons and spare parts, and provides many tens of millions in "black payments" to the military, security forces, and feared intelligence service, the "Mukhabarat." Accordingly, it’s difficult to see Egypt’s plutocratic military easily giving up all of its political and economic power to a rowdy civilian parliament, particularly when the US, Britain, Saudi Arabia, France, Canada and Israel are all quietly backing the military regime.
    KenK 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    There was a TV show that ran back in 2000-02 called Dark Angel set in a post-apocalyptic Seattle around 2020 that featured an episode where some renegade feds hacked into the local PD's surveillance drones and made them into flying assassination devices. Much like a flyable IED. Maybe that's the whole point of militarizing the local cops; to make it easier for military technology to be repurposed for police use. The R&D is paid for by federal money, battle-tested overseas, and then sold to local police back home. Perfect example of technological innovation by a late stage empire; subsidized development socialized R&D, but big private profits for well connected insiders. A great investment opportunity too if you can live with yourself. On TV the plucky rebels found a way to trash the pig drones. I wonder if we will?
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    One thing I will give a couple of thoughts on is this: "I understand that _all_ contracts in a given jurisdiction are "subject to the laws of" that jurisdiction." ~ Jim Davies Jurisdiction is not determined by "place or territory" alone[1], which is suggested by your use of the word "in". "It is the power of he court to decide a matter in controversy and presupposes[2] the existence of a duly constituted court with control over the subject matter and the parties." ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 853 On the other hand, violations of the "natural law of the human world"[3], i.e. violations of the natural rights of life, liberty and justly acquired property, are violations "in" every "place or territory". Notwithstanding they are not always "recognized" as such in all "places or territories", by all perpetrators, with (wo)men who represent the government itself being the worst "exceptions", in many, many cases. "The law perverted! And the police powers of the state perverted along with it! The law, I say, not only turned from its proper purpose, but made to follow an entirely contrary purpose! The law has become the weapon of every kind of greed! Instead of checking crime, the law itself is guilty of the evils it is supposed to punish!" ~ The Law by Frédéric Bastiat _____________________________________________________________ [1] "Jurisdiction, is limited to place or territory, to persons, or to particular subjects." ~ Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language (And, to particular things, "jurisdiction in rem".) "Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth." [2] A "rebuttable presumption". [3] The natural law and the positive law are not alternative systems of rules that apply to the same thing. The natural law is the law of natural persons and positive law is a law of artificial persons. ~ Natural Law by Frank Van Dun, Ph.D., Dr.Jur. - Senior lecturer Philosophy of Law
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    Thank you for your thoughts on this, Jim Davies.
    KenK 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Sueverans2 is right. White Indian is just a troll. In the primitivist society he says he pines for his form of [sic] "trickery"(e.g., pissing in the village watering hole, smearing dung on your hut, throwing your favorite basket into the fire, etc.) would likely get him a well deserved club swat across the head. Bottom line: Starting flame wars is so 1996 White Indian. Over and out.
    Jim Davies 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    The "person entitled to enforce", S2, I presume to be the creditor. It's a given that lawmakers never use one word where four will do. As to whether a government court will enforce that will depend on whether the government is a party to the dispute and whether or not it's raining. And whether the judge has been adequately bribed. Not sure about organic beef, but I was pleased to discover recently that gold contracts are now enforcible in government courts; so presumably beef ones are also. But I rather doubt (although a non-lawyer) that a GC would enforce any such contract against a debtor's tender of LTNs, when LTNs are the subject of the compulsory law; I understand that _all_ contracts in a given jurisdiction are "subject to the laws of" that jurisdiction. Until the government era ends, that is. The stripping away of compelled value would happen as I suggested, if fiat money were hyperinflated. "Worthless" was perhaps a careless term; I suppose it would have _some_ value as wallpaper or fire fuel. Not quite zero, but negligible in relation to the numbers printed on it. Yes, I would agree that if someone discovered a literal mountain of gold and mined and minted it, it would fast lose its value. My subjective high valuation on gold derives primarily from its usefulness in exchange as a medium that government cannot counterfeit; many markets over several millennia have so judged. When used as plating on my Rolls-Royce, it also makes it prettier and enhances its usefulness as a chick magnet. Permanent? - no. Nor is the Earth.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    How much do you think they'd love my several posts about Right Wing Authoritarian personality trait? If anything, I'm Old Man Coyote or Loki. Even a clown, just not Cathy's. "Many native traditions held clowns and tricksters as essential to any contact with the sacred. People could not pray until they had laughed, because laughter opens and frees from rigid preconception. Humans had to have tricksters within the most sacred ceremonies for fear that they forget the sacred comes through upset, reversal, surprise. The trickster in most native traditions is essential to creation, to birth." ^ Byrd Gibbens, Professor of English at University of Arkansas at Little Rock; quoted epigraph in Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin, 2001
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Don't mind WI, he's just our resident angry conservative. Can you blame him, really?
    KenK 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    @ White Indian In re previous: WTF? "No matter if it's bullshit to wish for the past, what you defend in the present is even worse bullshit." What I defend? What the hell are you talking about? Where have I ever defended this stuff? I am the next thing to a primitivist self-sustainer myself even if do say so myself. Any particulars you wish to share? Where do you get off saying this? You don't know me. "But perhaps you should be happy with the culmination of technology and human ingenuity into a singularity moment. Imagine, no more Federal Reserve or IRS! Aren't you jumping up and down yet?" I would happy to see all statist entities and their minions go. Not via nuclear holocaust or by massive famine or ecological catastrophe. I have never said this or advocated this either. So again, WTF? I never said that. Do you assert or claim otherwise? In re "nuclear weapons are..." Again, what the hell? Nukes are an abomination as are all state organized military and police outfits. Nukes just happen to be the worst. How is that my issue? That straw-man won't walk. I have never ever said or claimed otherwise and so I must call you on your error, lie, misapprehension or whatever else called forth that brain fart from you. I often wonder if you are agent provocateur with another agenda than just meanness? What say you?
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Jim Davies. Note that (a), (b) and (c), of Section 382-A:3-603, all have this same cute little legal phrase, "to a person entitled to enforce the instrument"? Does this carry any weight in a court determination? What if you and I, with I being a non-member of your body politic, have a contract that stipulates that you MUST pay me for my services ONLY in organic beef; can I be "compelled", by your government, to accept FRN/LTN's in lieu of organic beef? If a "value is subjective", that is to say, it is being arbitrarily determined by, (in the mind of), the individual accepting these "tokens", does this mean that they are "worthless tokens"? How can a "compelled 'value'" be stripped away? Or, perhaps this question should read, why would anyone "compel" FRN/LTN's to be "worthless"? If the 1924 German FRN/LTN's "...retained value only as wallpaper", then they most certainly are "worth less", but are they "worthless"? If there was suddenly a surplus of gold and silver, or, if there was a shortage of food and those with food refused to accept gold and silver for it, would not the "subjective value" of gold and silver then, be "worthless" or "worth less", also? I will admit, these are all difficult concepts for me to understand.
    KenK 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    You should be happy WI. Your hotly desired Zerzanian forward-into-the-past scenario could come true then assuming you survive the initial atomic war kill-off.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    The Chinese have built 3500 miles of stupid underground. Chinese Strategic Tunnels - Estimated 3500 miles - Up to 3000 Nuclear Warheads 12-1-11 A very good educational video made by the Georgetown University, Washington DC, for the Arms Control Seminar, describing China's "Underground Great Wall" tunnel network, which plays an important role in China's nuclear deterrence capability by enabling China to have a survivable second strike ability, while simultaniously masking the true number of China's nuclear arsenal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SAtz2uaZY The Russians are just as stupid digging holes in the ground. http://rt.com/news/prime-time/moscow-bomb-shelters-outskirts/ Things that make you go hmmmm.
    Jim Davies 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    I suggest the compulsion is real. Read what it says: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." So I prefer to call them LTNs rather than FRNs. You are a creditor, your debtor tenders an LTN. You have no legal choice, you _must_ accept it in settlement. If you won't, then there's an interesting UCC provision (in NH it's at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXXIV-A/382-A/382-A-3-603.htm but there's a similar one everywhere) that says the debt is discharged anyway. So it seems to me not simply convenience. However they are indeed "worthless tokens" because in true truth, value is subjective; we each place our own valuation on everything. The true value of paper government tokens becomes apparent only when their compelled "value" has been stripped away by hyperinflation, which happens from time to time. I recall that in 1924 Germany, they retained value only as wallpaper. Gold, in contrast, has real (subjective) value for several good reasons. I agree that "intrinsic value" is a difficult concept to understand, but the difficulty is not limited to that of gold; one could just as well wonder what is the intrinsic value of a T-Bone steak, or a bicycle, or a vacation in the Caribbean.
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    G'day Jim Davies, I do agree that a "mattress is far safer" than a bank for one's valuables. However, if "everyone is compelled to accept them in exchange", (which of course everyone is not truly "compelled", in the sense that "no one can refuse to accept them"; it is "convenience", rather, which compels individuals to accept them), how is it they are "only worthless tokens"? Is not their "real value", technically, whatever individuals are willing to trade for them, just as gold and silver's "real value" is whatever individuals are willing to trade for them?
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Austrian predictions vs. American history is also as sadly revealing of just how poorly both sides of this religio-economic debate understand reality. The Austrian vs. Keynesian debate is as compelling as the debate of Calvinism vs. Arminianism, because both sides hold essentially the same false premises.
    Jim Davies 5 years 4 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Thank you, Westernerd; an outstanding article at least until you wrote that Jesus was an anarchist. It was indeed breathtaking to see the heavily Christian audience in SC hiss and boo the very mild suggestion that the Golden Rule should apply to government. It speaks volumes about the link between religion and government, about belief and bigotry. I do wonder, though, whether you can be right about Jesus. You mention his words when brought to Pilate; those I see are in John 19:11, namely "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above." This follows verse 7, where "The Jews" told Pilate that Jesus had "made himself the Son of God." So you'll agree I presume that by "above" he was referring to God. It was an immensely powerful and courageous reply to the threat he'd just been given. But we must surely acknowledge in that case that he was reminding the Governor that all government has power because God has put it in place; exactly the point of Romans 13:1. That, surely, expresses a terminally authoritarian, hierarchical world-view, the very opposite of anarchism?
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago
    Natural Law
    Web link Don Stacy
    Soviet2 purports gay marriage isn't "natural," yet throws a tantrum when empirical data—instead of his puritanical assumptions—about natural sexual behavior is interjected into the thread. Apparently reality is a awful shock to Soviet2. The poor dear.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Since citizen means a person of a city-State, (civilization, see civil: from civis, meaning citizen, from Latin civitatis, meaning city-state,) do you know the nature of cities? The Nature of Cities by Jason Godesky 4 September 2007 http://rewild.info/anthropik/2007/09/the-nature-of-cities/index.html
    Suverans2 5 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Knowing Your Role as a Non-Citizen. gfywi Who is a Non-Citizen? According to Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, “a citizen is a member of a state to whom he or she owes allegiance and is entitled to its protection.” Hence, from this definition, it is implicit that a non-citizen is someone who is not a member of a state nor owes allegiance to the state he or she currently resides [sic]. There are certain inalienable rights to which all humans, regardless of citizenship or nationality, are entitled in principal. These rights are called natural rights. "Natural rights are rights [claims] not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable. In contrast, legal rights are those [claims] bestowed on to a person by the law of a particular political and legal system, and therefore relative to specific cultures and governments."