KenK 3 years 3 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Bon vivant and literary poo-bah Dorothy Parker said upon hearing news that taciturn former president Calvin Coolidge had died replied: "How can you tell?" Same here. We've lost so much personal freedom just in the last decade or so that it is hard to not feel that we are not that free any more even using a relative comparison with the condition our liberty as of 2000.
    KenK 3 years 3 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Citizenship bestowed by a state entity is meaningless (or should be) to those who fancy themselves anarchists and who routinely denounce states and statism and all their emanations. Stripped to its essence what we have here is a situation that merely constitutes a large scale gang war. The two gangs (the USG, AQ) kill each others members. Live by the sword die by it too.
  • Peter McCandless's picture
    Peter McCandless 3 years 3 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Excellent piece. Yes, many of "greatest generation" sacrificed to fight aggression overseas only to institutionalize more of it here. Excellent point.
    KenK 3 years 3 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    Laughable. The only two on this list that I've read are *Nickel & Dimed" and *BNW* and I can't see how given our societal condition presently that they would be the least bit controversial. I suppose the know-nothings will always find something somewhere to bitch about though.
  • jd-in-georgia's picture
    jd-in-georgia 3 years 3 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    This is a great article. Just this past week, Jessi, a girl under our guardianship, had just written a paper on the perils of social promotion. Social promotion is where one is pushed through the system so that they will graduate with his or her peers, regardless of their level of intelligence. I was genuinely touched that a public school teacher cared enough to challenge a student to voice her opinion on the bogus nature of public education.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 3 years 3 weeks ago
    The Oldest Institution
    Excellent column. What I've seen of today's youth does not lead me to optimism, however: most seem to believe that goodies dispensed by government are their birthright. What is today's equivalent to the ritual of initiation into manhood, with its attendant acceptance of self-responsibility (and therefore at least minimal self-governance)? So-called "young men" today area mostly just overgrown boys, still accustomed to suckling off a parental and/or government teat. I sincerely hope I'm being too pessimistic!
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Also, about 7 paragraphs down I was attempting to imbed in "Income" the following link: http://usa-the-republic.com/revenue/true_history/Chap4.html Klutz, klutz, klutz.
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    The link that was supposed to be embedded in "strong lullabies" in the above response is as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg Being dumb and clumsy in using html can sure screw up the continuity of a decent essay, can it not??? Sam
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Discussions of this type insult the intelligence of all free-thinking sovereign states. That would be me. However, I secretly fear that I have precious little intelligence left to insult. To become free I proclaim one must recognize a critical but basic fact: that all agents of all government -- ALL -- have one primary set of purposes: to conceal, to confound, to perplex, to cover-up any semblance of truth. Anywhere. All the time. Throughout all of history. http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/anarchism/library/TaxationisRobbery.html http://mises.org/easaran/chap3.asp Anything that could be detected by the unwashed masses as malfeasance on the part of "My Country" must be quashed early-on by soothing, yet strong lullabieshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg. They can even, for instance, be led into war while standing in awe at various state-sponsored parades and/or "motorcades". And they should be encouraged to clap wildly when the king ("president", lovingly referred to by press types as "potus"; or "prime minister") rides by. I won't even discuss here the unbelievable "security precautions" expended to protect his uneasy head -- and with what the sovereign state understands his or her head SHOULD ride uneasily. And never question the nakedness of his or her "highness". Income is never defined by law. Thousands upon thousands of pages are devoted to coming to a non-defined entity referred to as "adjusted gross income". But all functionaries of all courts in all lands under all circumstances will "rule" their various equivalents to "The-Sixteenth-Amendment" are valid. Well, wouldn't you? If you were collecting a handsome income and bestowed with the "power" of appointment as a Supreme-Court-Judge??? (I suspect also under penalty of death if the truth were known). Probably, without doubt, next to the hastily and stealthfully enacted "federal reserve act", the most gigantic swindle known to man. And don't forget state wars, the most egregious and deadly swindles of all. Ask me about it. So "we" are supposed to argue and wag our fingers and tongues and express opinions and write legislators and get all worked up over a huge packet of sloganry like "fair share". Arguments such as the one this guy Obama is now presenting are nothing but distractions. You and I are being robbed. The more we comply, the greater the robbery. Sam
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Government by its very nature is criminal. If you cannot grasp that basic truth you will be whanging and whaling back and forth in the center of the court forever -- never advancing toward the goal (freedom). Always lamenting that you "should" have a right to this or a right to that. Agents of state (that would include the little "judge" quoted in the "ruling") will not and cannot grant or protect rights. Ever. If you allow them, they will certainly take away what you thought of as "my rights" (often they do that even when you do not "allow" them -- tried boarding a commercial airline lately???) Robert Higgs wrote an interesting essay: http://www.independent.org/blog/?p=6334 But in it he committed one fatal error -- he slipped and used "my rulers" once (but, after rereading the piece I see he put "our" in quotes the next time: "our" rulers). I'm convinced that if you continue to use such descriptors you will never achieve genuine "freedom". If I cannot define the problem, I'll remain IN the problem, and the problem will remain WITH me. I am a sovereign state. I pledge allegiance to no flag. Although I am a sportsman (probably in better physical condition than 98% of all the other 75 year-olds in my city), I refrain from attending episodes called spectator sports. My main reason for that is by avoiding such places I don't have to deal with the embarrassment of having patriots hiss and chastise when I refuse to engage in state worship and remain seated while some nerd chortles a poorly-written "anthem" that is billed as "national". In cases where I am chaperone to grand-kids or where I have kids in the game and can't avoid it, I take that opportunity to go to the men's room. I suspect I am going to live to see the day, and this at once saddens but again encourages me, when impending world economic collapse will engender massive black markets and total ignorance of edicts of state. All state agents will be rendered impotent. The only thing keeping them strong today is "voluntary compliance" by state subjects, a first class sham. All ignorance is NOT bad ignorance. Sam
    KenK 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    About the only good thing you say about this device is that it's better than a rubber bullet in the eye or a broken bone or internal trauma from being slammed to the ground by a water cannon. It is a serious escalation up from tear gas though. I hope the media keeps reporting on this lawsuit.
    Suverans2 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    “no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to own and use a dairy cow or a dairy herd;” “no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to consume the milk from their own cow;” “no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to produce and consume the foods of their choice…” ~ Attributed to: Wisconsin Judge, Patrick J. FIEDLER Anyone, what are "Plaintiffs"? Black's Law Dictionary (c.1991) begins it's definition with, "A person..." Would that be an "artificial person", or a "natural person"? Artificial persons. Persons created by human laws for the purposes of...government, as distinguished from natural persons. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 113 NATURAL PERSONS. Such as are formed by nature, as distinguished from artificial persons, or corporations, formed by human laws for purposes of society and government. Wharton. ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 802 Remember, "that which one creates, one controls", or, to be more specific, "one has a just claim to control". PERSON. A man considered according to the rank he holds in society, with all the rights to which the place he holds entitles him, and the duties which it implies. … Persons are divided by law into natural and artificial. Natural persons are such as the God of nature formed us; artificial are such as are created and devised by human laws, for the purposes of society and government, which are called “corporations” or “bodies politic.” 1 Bl. Comm. 123 ~ A Dictionary of Law [Black's Dictionary of the Law, 1st Edition], pg. 892 [Emphasis added] Body politic or corporate. A social compact by which the whole people covenants with each citizen, and each citizen covenants with the whole people, that all shall be governed by certain laws for the common good. Uricich v. Kolesar, 54 Ohio App. 309, 7 N.E.,2d 413, 414 Again, we must ask, are "citizens" created by "human laws" or by "nature"?
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Reason, once looked upon as libertarian in content, has joined the family of governmentalist advocates of The Beltway. Follow the money. Sam
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Suverans2 has been "training" me to use HTML. I flubbed the link to CERN on the above post: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/About/Structure-en.html Sam
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    CERNagents of 20 different European "states". But since agents of states have NO "money" with which to finance these escapades, guess who gets robbed? Right. Persons residing in 20 European "states". As a government ("public" ha ha) educator eons ago -- before libertarianism crept up and bit me in the arse -- I always wondered why I was expected to ooohhh and aaahhh over some "exciting discovery" that erupted from these governmentalist waste-making entities that appeared to be worship centers for the religion of state funded "science". Then I became an anarchist. Now I know. Sam
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    The best treatment of anarchy I've seen is a paper by John Hasnas and was posted on STR by Anthony Gregory over a year ago (PDF): http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/Obvious.pdf He also wrote The Myth of the Rule of Law, which compliments the anarchy column. Labels delineating "types" of anarchists or "types" of libertarians are superfluous, IMHO (which is not humble by any means). Either I am free or I am not free. Either I believe I (or anybody else) "could or should have power" to banish this, that or some other non aggressive behavior on your part, or I do NOT so believe. Either I believe you have a natural right to be left alone or I do not believe you have that natural right. That is the sole delimiter that makes or breaks me as an anarchist or a libertarian. "Scientific Anarchism" is an interesting characterization. I'll have to add it to the list I posted a couple weeks ago that consisted of between 40 and 50 different "flavors" of libertarianism and/or anarchy I had come across since signing onto the internet five or six years ago. Osgood wrote this in 1889, which shows that things were not much different then than they are now. Folks will wring their hands and roll their eyes in attempt to avoid becoming truly free and to limit yours and my quests for freedom. That's what labels are all about. Sam
    Suverans2 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Oh, groan! Someone should 'splain to A. Barton Hinkle what "a right" is. It is "a just claim". The idea of rights naturally suggest the correlative one of wrongs; for every right is capable of being violated. ... And, therefore, while, in a general point of view, the law is intended for the establishment and maintenance of rights, we find it, on closer examination, to be dealing with rights and wrongs. It first fixes the the character and definition of rights, and then, with a view to their effectual security, proceeds to define wrongs, and devise means by which the latter shall be prevented or redressed. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 1612 So, with that understanding, A. Barton Hinkle, the question, inverted, properly becomes, is it "wrong" for animals to try to defend their life, liberty and property?
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Paradigm shift?
    Suverans2 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    G'day Sam, I stand corrected. That second paragraph perhaps should have read, (and now reads): What is interesting is that free men, i.e. those who choose not to be members of a man-made body politic[1] (group), and who are, therefore, governed only by the law of nature, are free to use whatever we wish to use, (we don't need the STATE to sanctify anything). _______________________________________________________________________________ [1] Body politic or corporate. A social compact by which the whole people covenants with each citizen, and each citizen with the whole people, that all shall be governed by certain laws for the common good. Urich v. Kolesar, 54 Ohio App 309, 7 N.E. 2d 413, 414 ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 175
    Suverans2 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    As long as you voluntarily remain a member of "the group", your group "leader(s)" may tell you what you can or cannot ingest. Why? Because the collective ("the group") is ultimately responsible for the health of its individual members. What is interesting is that free men, i.e. those who choose not to be members of any man-made body politic (group), and who are, therefore, governed only by the law of nature, are free to use whatever we wish to use, (we don't need the STATE to sanctify[1] anything). But, with freedom comes responsibility. And, because I am ultimately responsible for my own "healthcare", I choose not to use methamphetamine as a recreational drug. "When the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again." ~ Edith Hamilton ___________________________________________________________________________ [1] Legalize. ...To add the sanction and authority of law to that which before was without or against the law. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 895
  • jwalk's picture
    jwalk 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    St. Clair County, Michigan has been doing that for years now. They call it a "dismissal fee".
    Suverans2 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    Can an anarchist "banish all forms of authority" for everyone, (even for those desiring a ruler), or can an anarchist "banish all forms of authority" for himself only? "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~ Mahatma Gandhi To be (walk the talk) or not to be (talk the walk), that is the question.
    rita 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    In Arizona, the presumptive sentence for child endangerment is 2.5 years. The presumptive sentence for the victimless crime of possession of dangerous drugs for sale is 10.5. To protect the children.
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 3 years 4 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Here's a recording of me on the Peter Mac radio show talking about this article. I might be back on next Wednesday to talk about the public education system. http://www.petermacshow.com/mp3/PeterMacShow20110921-VahramDiehl.mp3
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago
    Beautiful Freedom
    Web link Mike Powers
    Stefan Molyneux says more clearly and concisely what I've observed ever since my kids and grandkids felt sorry for me (I've always refuse to own television) and set me up with a computer and got me on the internet. A week or two ago I posted a list of various labels I had come across that are used by different "brands" or "flavors" or "types" of libertarians and anarchists. It seems the list I had compiled over the years numbered well over 40 varying disciplines. Then some readers posted more that I had missed to add to my list. All superfluous. It does not matter "how" such services as police and fire protection, streets and highways, air traffic control, etc., will come into being -- things that have generally been considered strictly the purveyance of state predators: "The Government", "The State", "My Country", "Our-Great-Nation", on and on go the slogans. Each of my 75 years has witnessed increasing incursions by omnipresent parasites of state into every phase and factor of the marketplace. And now these gangsters are bringing the economy right up to the edge of the abyss. I've never seen a truly free market. Neither have you. If you are on here it's because you believe the free market can and will give rise to better, faster, more efficient and less costly of these services than could ever be brought about by (dis)organized civil government. By the time these thieves and robbers finally cannibalize each other -- destroying an untold number of their serfs in the process -- and implode, all we can hope for is that there will be enough anarchists in our midst to make certain state will never happen again. Never. Let the marketplace determine "how" -- it will, you know. Sam. No government anywhere, at any time, has ever brought net benefit to any society, and there is no desirable function that any government performs that could not be performed better, or less expensively, by free people operating on a voluntary basis for profit or for charity. ~Jim Davies http://www.takelifeback.com/tdaw/ Also read: http://www.strike-the-root.com/52/davis_m/davis1.html
    Samarami 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    The Watchdog article is under the caption: Virginia may declare Sudafed more dangerous than date rape drug The author uses a major fallacy, which s/he clears up in the first sentence, "Virginia lawmakers..." Virginia is a location. A location is incapable of "declaring" anything. As our old friend Delmar England insists, we will never recover from governmentalistic insanity until we come to correctly define our terms. Out there in journalistic land insanity IS the social norm. It is probably important WE see through the insanity if we are to recover from governmentalism. (Oops -- there I used thewe word again! Sorry.) I've ceased using terms such as, "our rulers" or "our lawmakers", because they are no longer MY "rulers" or MY "lawmakers". My Lawmaker sustains photosynthesis. My Ruler maintains the rotation of the earth on its axis. That said, the article assumes a drug "war" is legitimate. Insane. Totally the domain of sociopaths. If there were truly a free market there would be no methamphetamine -- or any other "street drugs". All "black" markets would disappear if there were no meddlesome governmentalists to keep them strong. 'Nuff said. Suverans2, I think you're stretching "group" when you equate it with "government". You and I and a couple dozen other regular posters here at STR are members of this "group" when you think about it. And, if I wish to stay in this group I need to adhere to certain rules of literary conduct established by the administrator(s) (to say nothing of using good, common courtesy). But I'm free to leave this group whenever I choose. There's always "RushTalk" (ultra-neocon) or "Soarsboard" (ultra-liberal). I once belonged to Rotary Club. I quietly left as my anarchy became more cured and hardened. Rotarians love to rub elbows with and have senators and congressmen and presidents and prime ministers speak at their luncheons. Statists cum laude. I had already chosen to no longer be a member of "the government" and all "its" avid followers. I then chose not to waste my time in Rotary Club. Free men and women can choose their own poison. Sam
    rita 3 years 4 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    The way to "battle meth cooks" is to legalize meth.
    Paul 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Well, I think it is a mistake to call these folks sheeple: http://strike-the-root.com/some-problems-with-farm-analogy They are human beings just like we are. Anyway you are mixing metaphors, or analogies. Sheep are not violent. I was simply pointing out that for any given individual, no matter how aware they are, it is always easier to get them to leave us alone than it is to get them to accept our whole program. There will always (or at least, for the foreseeable future) be statists in the world, and we will likely never outnumber them. We have to face that fact. All we need from them is basic tolerance. Most people are already capable of it; they need only be convinced to apply it consistently. I am also pointing out that ideas spread not only through evangelism, but also through observation. People see other people being happy because those others are free, then they want that too. Your viewpoint is that of a teacher, naturally; but lots of learning goes on without teachers.
    Samarami 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    As you well know, Suverans2, I wholeheartedly agree with your post. As you also know, there were a goodly number of individuals in 1933 who refused to obediently gather their gold coins and bullion and turn it over to state-owned banksters in exchange for worthless fiat "currency" simply because a sociopathic tyrant dictated that is what they "must" do..."it's our LAW!" (yuk yuk yuk) If you could locate and retrieve a cache of that gold still buried deep in the earth it would be worth a "fortune" today. At that part of Dr. North's essay you quote he is emphasizing the need to define terms before one can understand why "economists" cannot or will not sanction economic theory. Writers often say "country," when they mean – or should have meant – the banking cartel's senior bankers, the system of individuals enforced by the Federal Reserve, who "advise" the chattels who dominate the illusion of "power" ("presidents", "prime ministers", etc) who dictate the terms of "money" to the unwashed masses. I refer to myself as a Sovereign State. I am a citizen. The ONLY citizen as a matter of fact. I chance to live close to people I love on a land mass named after a dubious "discoverer". I have not needed to move away from my family and friends to a "state" (is it "New Hampshire"?) or to a platform floating out in the sea to achieve and/or maintain sovereignty. Sovereignty be where ah is. State functionaries are still pains in the ass just like all the other common thieves -- except with ordinary thieves I have the advantage of knowing that the thief KNOWS s/he is a thief. As such I have total responsibility for MY well-being and MY behavior (I include this jurisdiction to include family and loved ones to the extent they seek my help due to their not yet having learned to declare and practice sovereignty for or by themselves). My President is responsible for the rotation of the earth on its axis and maintains the critical distance from the medium sized star that we know as "our sun". My Representative sustains such laws as photosynthesis. That is a good nation in which to live. I could not live any other way. Regards, Sam
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    I am enjoying your writings, Vahram, but be very careful; "Fame, we may understand, is no sure test of merit..." (THOMAS CARLYLE, Goethe)
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    G'day Sam, Within the article you recommended, we read the following: "...the banking cartel's senior bankers, the system enforced by the Federal Reserve, which persuaded Franklin Roosevelt to unilaterally confiscate all of the gold coins and gold-denominated debt certificates of all residents of the United States and all American citizens, no matter where they lived." Notice that the PRESIDENT, (not Franklin Roosevelt), could only "unilaterally confiscate all of the gold coins and gold-denominated debt certificates of all residents of the United States and all American[sic] [UNITED STATES] citizens"? The PRESIDENT has no authority over those who choose not to be members of his "group[1]". As an Individual Secessionist I am neither a "resident[2]" nor a "citizen" of[3], i.e. belonging to, the UNITED STATES or any of its franchise/affiliate STATES. _____________________________________________________________________________________ [1] Secession. The act of withdrawing from membership in a group. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1351 [Emphasis added] [2] Don't be fooled by the word "resident". Word "resident" has many meanings in law, largely determined by statutory context in which it is used. Kelm v. Carlson, C.A.Ohio, 473 F2d, 1267, 1271 [3] Of. A term denoting that from which anything proceeds; indicating origin, source, descent, and the like... Associated with or connected with, usually in some causal relation, efficient, material, formal, or final. The word has been held equivalent to after; at, or belonging to; in possession of; manufactured by; residing at; from. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1080 [Emphasis added]
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Sweet deal. Peter Mac, the host of an internet radio show, read this article and now wants to interview me for his show tonight (Wednesday) from 5-6 pm California time about politics, freedom, anarchism, capitalism, etc... should be an interesting listen and perhaps the beginning of my path to fame if you can listen: http://www.themicroeffect.com/ More info on the show here: http://www.petermacshow.com/ Hope to see you there.
    Samarami 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    Nicholas Snow laments, "...So why then do some economists jump the train of economic theory?..." And then he goes into an intellectual discussion of "the importance of economic theory". Very good. But first I'd like you to read what Gary North had to say about the nature of "economists" and the Federal Reserve over on Lew Rockwell a few months back: http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north962.html Sam
    Samarami 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Well, Vahram. I had seven children, just had my twenty-fourth (24th!!!) grandchild, and am working on my 6th great grandchild -- all in homeschool programs (not the 7 of mine -- 4 of them are over 50). Does that count??? Damn, it's so hard to be humble. Sam
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Good on you, but why stop at just four? Let's take over the world.
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    The bottom line? "The fact that federal loan guarantees were even necessary for Solyndra tells us that few, if any, lenders thought that giving the firm money was a very good idea." ~ Jerry Taylor and/or Peter Van Doren And, I'm not at all certain that the fact that "major Democratic donor, George Kaiser, had a major stake in the firm" had nothing whatsoever to do with Barack Hussein Obama's decision to offer up over FIVE HUNDRED MILLION TAXPAYER DOLLARS in federal loan guarantees to SOLYNDRA.
  • Gwardion's picture
    Gwardion 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    I have an IQ over 130 and a good constitution and I am also a huge fan of liberty and anarchism. I kind of see it as my duty to help fill the ranks. I have 4 children, 2 girls, 2 boys. Watch Idiocracy, contrast and compare with society as a whole, be horrified, have smart children.
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Say, isn't that precisely what those behind the Roman Catholicism conspiracy promoted? Hm-m-m-m, and, with 1.1 billion adherents, currently, it seems to have worked. Imagine what could be accomplished if one had a rational foundation, such as the Law of Nature.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Well, when you put it that way... okay.
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    However, history attests that the sheeple will not leave us alone, at least until we out-number them and it becomes obvious to them that their best interest is to join us. This is precisely what defines them as sheeple: their violent oppression of the unfamiliar and unthinking propensity to follow the general trends. I realize quite clearly through my own experiences and the hindsight of history how lofty the goal I am talking about it is. The spreading of an idea occurs through inspiration, as it is difficult for one to reach the logical conclusion of anarchy without at least first being aware that the option exists. The best minds born into the wrong locations or centuries will never join us simply because they do not know that there is an "us" to join and an alternative to what seemingly all their neighbors believe. The section about selecting the right kind of students for education and paradigm enhancement addresses this issue. This is not a cure-all, it is a rational approach to identifying and nurturing those seeds which are ready to sprout. Most people are just bad seeds... but we don't have to worry about them so long as we can continue to sprout those good ones still left untended and exponentially grow our numbers until this ideology is naturally replicated in their young as they come to maturity in an environment of good seeds. At times, I wonder how long it might have taken for me to reach this understanding had I not been fortunate enough to have been born into a situation where I had access to the books that I did and the personal influences (such as John Pugsley and his writings as I mentioned in this piece) that I have. At any other time in history with lower technology or in any other country in world, I may very well have been doomed to spend my life as a cynical old recluse with a permanent embitterment toward the state of society (or perhaps I would have run off to build a cabin in the woods a la Thoreau...)
    Paul 3 years 5 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Well, my wife does what she wants to do; and pays little attention to my advice (which is to stop working in the above-ground economy). She is hardly a wage slave. She plays the part of Hank Rearden to my John Galt. :-) One extra point I forgot to make: you as an employee bring a cost, and a benefit, to the employer. Cost is not only your wage, but regulations and all sorts of non-monetary stuff (of course government has increased everyone's cost to employers). If your cost is higher than what you produce, you might coast along in a hot economy, but not in a slow one. It's to your advantage to make the benefit greater than the cost, and the larger that gap is the less likely you will be part of a layoff. That's why I never in my life asked for a raise. I just told my employer that if I ever got the impression I was being taken advantage of, I would leave. I made enough money to suit my needs, because I was not envious or even curious what others made. Not my business...
    Paul 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    This is a good prescription, if one agrees with the premise: that it is our job to make people see the light. It's the premise I have trouble with. "It is a major intellectual leap to see through the false alternative of “state rule vs. chaos” and to begin conceiving of solutions in terms of individuals working in conjunction for their own benefit and innovating improvements that permeate outward to the masses without the need for state intervention." That it is, and this is where I part company with Vahram. Sure, make a case for freedom. But know when to stop. You don't have to turn people into anarchists to be successful. All you need them to do is leave you (and me) alone. This is a more attainable goal by far, which in turn keeps burnout away. If you insist on the higher standard, complete conversion, cynicism and hatred of the "sheeple" is in your future. And that won't help. That last step into anarchism, I think, has to be a personal, self-motivated one; not the result of a clever sales job. We aren't selling used cars here, or trips to Hawaii.
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    G'day Vahram Diehl, Now that, young man, is a "strike the root" thesis!! And this sums up, nicely, not only what you have written, "To act in contrast with the laws of nature will only be counterproductive in the long run...", but what has taken place in the world far too long, as well. I was unable to give you a hundred stars and had to settle for a meager ten star rating.
  • mikehauncho's picture
    mikehauncho 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Wow, they obviously didn't want to chase after him for fear of having to answer many questions about their terrible conduct. Dam this awful police state that steps on the powerless.
    KenK 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Double posted. My bad.
    KenK 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    What saved this guy was the camera. Absent the cam this guy gets a curb stomping and ends up in jail.
    KenK 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    I studied Taylor's book in grad school. From what I know about him and his progeny Taylor was more about squeezing the last drop of effort from everybody employed in an enterprise in order to increase profits. "Scientific Management" was just a ruse to baffle and mislead.
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Positions of power attract corruptible/corrupt individuals.
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "...it risks losing its meaning"? "Freedom is man’s power to exercise his own faculties [abilities] as he chooses as long as he prohibits no other man from doing the same." ~ Dr. Milton R. Wolf What?!?! I perceive that the meaning of freedom is already lost, to you, Milton, if that is your definition of the word. How about this one, Milton? Freedom. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality, according to the dictates of the will, without other check, hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just and necessary laws and the duties of social life. ~ A Dictionary of Law (Henry Black's 1st edition, c.1891) page 520 Or this one: Freedom. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality, according to the dictates of the will, without other check, hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just and necessary laws and the duties of social life. ~ A Dictionary of Law (Henry Black's 2nd edition, c.1910) page 523 Or this one: Freedom. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality, according to the dictates of the will, without other check, hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just and necessary laws and the duties of social life. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 664 Imagine that, Milton, it didn't change, by even one word, in ONE HUNDRED FRICKEN YEARS! And, do tell, what is wrong with it? Wondering what the phrase, "in the character of a moral personality" means? Let us see if these clarify, for you, what that means. Natural liberty, consists in the power of acting as one thinks fit, without any restraint or control, except from the laws of nature. It is a state of exemption from the control of others, and from positive laws and the institutions of social life. ~ Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language Natural liberty is the right which nature gives to all mankind of disposing of their persons and property after the manner they judge most consistent with their happiness, on condition of their acting within the limits of the law of nature, and so as not to interfere with an equal exercise of the same rights by other men. Buriamaqui, c. 3, § 15; 1 Bl. Comm. 125 ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 716 NATURAL LIBERTY. The power of acting as one thinks fit, without any restraint or control, unless [except] by the law of nature. 1 Bl. Comm. 125. ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 801 [Bracketed information added] "In the character of a moral personality" means, acting in harmony with the law of nature, i.e. the natural law of man, Milton, which are the only "just and necessary laws and the duties of social life".
    Suverans2 3 years 5 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    The background is pretty cool too!