Samarami 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Well, Vahram. I had seven children, just had my twenty-fourth (24th!!!) grandchild, and am working on my 6th great grandchild -- all in homeschool programs (not the 7 of mine -- 4 of them are over 50). Does that count??? Damn, it's so hard to be humble. Sam
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Good on you, but why stop at just four? Let's take over the world.
    Suverans2 2 years 29 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    The bottom line? "The fact that federal loan guarantees were even necessary for Solyndra tells us that few, if any, lenders thought that giving the firm money was a very good idea." ~ Jerry Taylor and/or Peter Van Doren And, I'm not at all certain that the fact that "major Democratic donor, George Kaiser, had a major stake in the firm" had nothing whatsoever to do with Barack Hussein Obama's decision to offer up over FIVE HUNDRED MILLION TAXPAYER DOLLARS in federal loan guarantees to SOLYNDRA.
  • Gwardion's picture
    Gwardion 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    I have an IQ over 130 and a good constitution and I am also a huge fan of liberty and anarchism. I kind of see it as my duty to help fill the ranks. I have 4 children, 2 girls, 2 boys. Watch Idiocracy, contrast and compare with society as a whole, be horrified, have smart children.
    Suverans2 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Say, isn't that precisely what those behind the Roman Catholicism conspiracy promoted? Hm-m-m-m, and, with 1.1 billion adherents, currently, it seems to have worked. Imagine what could be accomplished if one had a rational foundation, such as the Law of Nature.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Well, when you put it that way... okay.
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    However, history attests that the sheeple will not leave us alone, at least until we out-number them and it becomes obvious to them that their best interest is to join us. This is precisely what defines them as sheeple: their violent oppression of the unfamiliar and unthinking propensity to follow the general trends. I realize quite clearly through my own experiences and the hindsight of history how lofty the goal I am talking about it is. The spreading of an idea occurs through inspiration, as it is difficult for one to reach the logical conclusion of anarchy without at least first being aware that the option exists. The best minds born into the wrong locations or centuries will never join us simply because they do not know that there is an "us" to join and an alternative to what seemingly all their neighbors believe. The section about selecting the right kind of students for education and paradigm enhancement addresses this issue. This is not a cure-all, it is a rational approach to identifying and nurturing those seeds which are ready to sprout. Most people are just bad seeds... but we don't have to worry about them so long as we can continue to sprout those good ones still left untended and exponentially grow our numbers until this ideology is naturally replicated in their young as they come to maturity in an environment of good seeds. At times, I wonder how long it might have taken for me to reach this understanding had I not been fortunate enough to have been born into a situation where I had access to the books that I did and the personal influences (such as John Pugsley and his writings as I mentioned in this piece) that I have. At any other time in history with lower technology or in any other country in world, I may very well have been doomed to spend my life as a cynical old recluse with a permanent embitterment toward the state of society (or perhaps I would have run off to build a cabin in the woods a la Thoreau...)
    Paul 2 years 29 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Well, my wife does what she wants to do; and pays little attention to my advice (which is to stop working in the above-ground economy). She is hardly a wage slave. She plays the part of Hank Rearden to my John Galt. :-) One extra point I forgot to make: you as an employee bring a cost, and a benefit, to the employer. Cost is not only your wage, but regulations and all sorts of non-monetary stuff (of course government has increased everyone's cost to employers). If your cost is higher than what you produce, you might coast along in a hot economy, but not in a slow one. It's to your advantage to make the benefit greater than the cost, and the larger that gap is the less likely you will be part of a layoff. That's why I never in my life asked for a raise. I just told my employer that if I ever got the impression I was being taken advantage of, I would leave. I made enough money to suit my needs, because I was not envious or even curious what others made. Not my business...
    Paul 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    This is a good prescription, if one agrees with the premise: that it is our job to make people see the light. It's the premise I have trouble with. "It is a major intellectual leap to see through the false alternative of “state rule vs. chaos” and to begin conceiving of solutions in terms of individuals working in conjunction for their own benefit and innovating improvements that permeate outward to the masses without the need for state intervention." That it is, and this is where I part company with Vahram. Sure, make a case for freedom. But know when to stop. You don't have to turn people into anarchists to be successful. All you need them to do is leave you (and me) alone. This is a more attainable goal by far, which in turn keeps burnout away. If you insist on the higher standard, complete conversion, cynicism and hatred of the "sheeple" is in your future. And that won't help. That last step into anarchism, I think, has to be a personal, self-motivated one; not the result of a clever sales job. We aren't selling used cars here, or trips to Hawaii.
    Suverans2 2 years 29 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    G'day Vahram Diehl, Now that, young man, is a "strike the root" thesis!! And this sums up, nicely, not only what you have written, "To act in contrast with the laws of nature will only be counterproductive in the long run...", but what has taken place in the world far too long, as well. I was unable to give you a hundred stars and had to settle for a meager ten star rating.
  • mikehauncho's picture
    mikehauncho 2 years 29 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Wow, they obviously didn't want to chase after him for fear of having to answer many questions about their terrible conduct. Dam this awful police state that steps on the powerless.
    KenK 2 years 29 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Double posted. My bad.
    KenK 2 years 29 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    What saved this guy was the camera. Absent the cam this guy gets a curb stomping and ends up in jail.
    KenK 2 years 29 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    I studied Taylor's book in grad school. From what I know about him and his progeny Taylor was more about squeezing the last drop of effort from everybody employed in an enterprise in order to increase profits. "Scientific Management" was just a ruse to baffle and mislead.
    Suverans2 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Positions of power attract corruptible/corrupt individuals.
    Suverans2 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "...it risks losing its meaning"? "Freedom is man’s power to exercise his own faculties [abilities] as he chooses as long as he prohibits no other man from doing the same." ~ Dr. Milton R. Wolf What?!?! I perceive that the meaning of freedom is already lost, to you, Milton, if that is your definition of the word. How about this one, Milton? Freedom. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality, according to the dictates of the will, without other check, hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just and necessary laws and the duties of social life. ~ A Dictionary of Law (Henry Black's 1st edition, c.1891) page 520 Or this one: Freedom. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality, according to the dictates of the will, without other check, hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just and necessary laws and the duties of social life. ~ A Dictionary of Law (Henry Black's 2nd edition, c.1910) page 523 Or this one: Freedom. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality, according to the dictates of the will, without other check, hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just and necessary laws and the duties of social life. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 664 Imagine that, Milton, it didn't change, by even one word, in ONE HUNDRED FRICKEN YEARS! And, do tell, what is wrong with it? Wondering what the phrase, "in the character of a moral personality" means? Let us see if these clarify, for you, what that means. Natural liberty, consists in the power of acting as one thinks fit, without any restraint or control, except from the laws of nature. It is a state of exemption from the control of others, and from positive laws and the institutions of social life. ~ Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language Natural liberty is the right which nature gives to all mankind of disposing of their persons and property after the manner they judge most consistent with their happiness, on condition of their acting within the limits of the law of nature, and so as not to interfere with an equal exercise of the same rights by other men. Buriamaqui, c. 3, § 15; 1 Bl. Comm. 125 ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 716 NATURAL LIBERTY. The power of acting as one thinks fit, without any restraint or control, unless [except] by the law of nature. 1 Bl. Comm. 125. ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 801 [Bracketed information added] "In the character of a moral personality" means, acting in harmony with the law of nature, i.e. the natural law of man, Milton, which are the only "just and necessary laws and the duties of social life".
    Suverans2 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    The background is pretty cool too!
    Samarami 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    As an old draftee of the Korean era, I often forget to be thankful to have come to "see the light" and recognize the depth of the problem of "war". The nature of state is the cause of war. The natural tendency of slaves who come to adore, worship and support their masters is the cause of war. Voting (and not recognizing the gang-mentality of "democracy") is the cause of war. From the Army Times article: The war in Afghanistan is dampening support for Obama. Support for his handling of the war has dropped significantly since the last Military Times survey in January 2010 Last time I voted was 1964. I stomped the roads and highways of Texas trying to get Barry Goldwater elected -- much like the Ron Pauliens of today (including many of my own children and grandchildren). When Lyndon Johnson trounced Goldwater I became gravely disillusioned. I had, however, not yet become an anarchist. I don't think I had even acquired the term "libertarian" in my vocabulary. I suppose I was what today we might call a "non voting statist" -- I knew there was something wrong with "My-Country", but I could not place my finger upon the problem. I was still a long way from becoming exposed to Murray Rothbard. http://mises.org/easaran/chap3.asp "Cognitive dissonance" is a term bandied about by psychiatric types today, along with "PTSD". I believe for me and a few of us here that caption could describe that space of time in our habitué when we had dipped our toes into the cold h2o of "true libertarianism", but had not yet plunged into the icy waters of anarchy -- the understanding that all political authority will always lead "we the people" into war. And the subtle distance from friends, family and colleagues resulting from their suspicion we had joined some weird political/religious "cult". Agents of state (I've quit using the reification "The-Government") are afraid of returning veterans. They know many of them are becoming like us -- "unpatriotic" types who will no longer lend support to them. Anarchists!!! Be kind to the returning vets. Sam
    rita 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    You know, reading the headline, you'd almost think that our brave troops are ready to stop the senseless killing of civilians and come home. But no, they're just now starting to wonder whether they can win the war.
  • DanClore's picture
    DanClore 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    I can't help but think of what happened when the Yippies tossed dollar bills onto the stock exchange--
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 2 years 30 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    "If you are considering going to college or going back to college, you are not being serious." I like it. ;D
    Samarami 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Gary North: "...Here it is: Keynesianism's bait and switch. Usually, it is applied to thrift. It is called the paradox of thrift. If everyone saved more, we are told, it would cripple the economy. But the point of the free market is that individuals decide. They do not make the same decisions at the same time... http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1032.html
    tzo 2 years 30 weeks ago Page gautry
    Yeah, here's a sample of the wise collectivist Chinese government in all its central planning command economy glory: http://io9.com/5790596/watch-jarring-footage-of-chinas-massive-ghost-towns
    KenK 2 years 30 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Posted twice. my bad.
    KenK 2 years 30 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul I am sorry. My tone was too harsh. It's just that in 20 or so years of on/off activism and having listened and read and personally known many anarchists, socialists, communists, libertarians, and many other political persuasions I've noticed a big gap between what they say and what they do (as in how they live). I enjoy your articles.
    Suverans2 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    He can probably kiss his political aspirations good-bye with statements like that. "To the man who tells the truth, give a fast horse; he will need it to escape on."
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Question No. 6. -- Mr. Gutier: "Are you employed?" Mr. Cooper's answer: No, I am not. I am not employed. I am not unemployed. I am not self-employed. I am not gainfully employed. In fact, I am not employable. But, I work. Besides, Arizona is a right to work State. [Mr. Gutier nodded his head in agreement and went on.] ~ Excerpted from Standard Screening Questions
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Very constructive advice, Paul Bonneau. Because I am outside the system and have had no affiliation with any governments, (hence no numbers, ID's, or licenses of any kind), for well over ten years, I have had to work myself into the "underground economy". For those who may eventually withdraw from membership in man-made governments, i.e. secede, it has been easier than what I first envisioned; (I originally thought I might not be able to survive as a non-member). And, as Paul Bonneau stated, "reputation" has played, perhaps, the most important part in it; (word-of-mouth is still the best advertising). I am paid in cash, usually on a daily basis, sometimes weekly. One fellow, who I did work for, for a short period of time, insisted on writing a check, made out to an assumed name, arranged for his bank to cash it without any "acceptable identification"; (he "introduced" me to the bank employees). To say the least, it has been an interesting journey. Oh, and to KenK, the collectivist troll, I have provided 100% of the "family nut" for well over ten years; my wife has not been a "wage-slave" since we left "the system".
  • mikehauncho's picture
    mikehauncho 2 years 30 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I believe he didn't state it because it has no bearing on the advice he gave.
    Glen Allport 2 years 30 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul, this is excellent! The mind-set of people in this country MUST change if we're to see any improvement, and mind-set CAN be the difference between getting a job and languishing in the unemployment line. The independent mind-set that helps one create an honest income also helps one see the truth of the State -- although its not a one-to-one correlation, unfortunately. Finding out what problems an employer has and just walking in and offering to solve them, showing the employer how you could actually improve their business or eliminate a problem they're having to deal with, is a far better way of gaining employment than searching the want ads or Craigslist, I suspect.
    Paul 2 years 30 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    One of the ladies on the list pointed me at my 2004 email entry (sorry, members only so I can't post it). But my recollection of it is essentially correct, although I had forgotten how emphatically some of them said that homeschooling was easier. But anyone should be able to reproduce this experiment. Just ask the same question on your homeschool list. If you do, it might be a good idea to remove from your sample anyone with some kids in school and some homeschooled, because if you have even one child in school your life is back on the government school schedule, you still have to interact with teachers and educrats, etc.
    KenK 2 years 30 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul you left unstated how much of your family's monthly nut you provide with your "off the grid" efforts and how much your wage slave wife kicks in. None of my business of course but it's a major consideration about how valid the rest of your advice is. Being a libertarian philosopher is probably way easier when you're with a partner who is regularly employed.
    Paul 2 years 30 weeks ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Great article, Alex. More down-to-earth examples are what we need, and less theoretical reasoning.
  • JoshuaPettigrew's picture
    JoshuaPettigrew 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    This may be yet another example of why historians must have a grasp of economic theory in order to do this sort of analysis: http://blog.mises.org/18371/murphy-replies-to-david-graeber-on-menger-an...
  • mikehauncho's picture
    mikehauncho 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Brilliant article, I have my fingers crossed for Social Security to fail before i get out of university.
    Suverans2 2 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    SH*T!! The PTB don't want to "track prepaid debit cards", they want to track those who use them. The "real losers", at least from our point of view, may be Individual Secessionists, people without the "mark of the beast", i.e. those who don't possess, or use, any gubbermint "tracking number", i.e. those who don't possess, or use a Taxpayer Identification Number (U.S.). The WALMART MoneyCard website already states this at the bottom of their home page: "Federal law requires us to obtain, verify and record information that identifies you when you open up a Walmart MoneyCard. We will use your name, address, date of birth and other information (including Social Security Number for U.S. citizens) for this purpose." And, the UPside Card this: "The USA PATRIOT Act is a Federal law that requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. You will be asked to provide your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. You may also be asked to provide documentation as proof of identification. Card issuance is contingent upon successfully passing this mandatory identification confirmation."
    Suverans2 2 years 31 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 31 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    And don't forget zenarchism.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 31 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    You can add eco-agorism to the list. :P www.kogwaki.com
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 31 weeks ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    I'd be interested in seeing this Slate article, being loosely affiliated with Free Staters and Keeniacs myself. Got a link?
    Suverans2 2 years 31 weeks ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    [Libertarianism] "...is the only philosophy I have found that operates in accordance with human nature, and not in opposition to it." ~ Alex R. Knight III Which kind of "libertarianism", Alex R. Knight III? Perhaps you didn't see Samarami's list on his recent comment here. http://www.strike-the-root.com/not-enough-enemies-let%E2%80%99s-create-more
    Suverans2 2 years 31 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    "That needs to be looked into by the STATE POLICE and others." ~ Alex Jones You want the fox that guards the hen house to look into it, Alex?
    Suverans2 2 years 31 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    Anyone else catch this? “Are you [Michael Allison] going to disappear into the Illinois prisons at taxpayers expense because you dare audio and video tape our owners?” ~ Alex Jones
  • david_z's picture
    david_z 2 years 31 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    I really was hoping that piece at Mises was a joke. Unfortunately, no. Then again, there are plenty of raving left-anarchists on the 'net with precisely the opposite position. Mention anything even remotely "propertarian" (even mutualism) at reddit/r/anarchism, for example, and prepare to get downvoted in to oblivion. I really hope that all of this "The world isn't big enough for more than one ideology/social experiment" is a symptom of the state, and in its absence would wither.
  • livemike's picture
    livemike 2 years 31 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    So the state is running auctions so badly that people are buying back their properties for less than they're worth without any worries that someone will come along and buy it first? And the debt on these properties is so high that nobody buys them a month before for the value of their tax debt? Wow, the state gets more incompetent every day.
    Samarami 2 years 31 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    If the truth were known (and the truth, when it comes to imperial machinations, is never known), all the items she outlines were in the planning stage awaiting a "911" event to bring them into fruition. I tend not to be a "conspiracy theorist" (I submit ALL government organizations are ALWAYS ongoing conspiracies -- especially including the weird maneuverings and gigantic expenditures required to present to the serfs those bread-and-circus affairs called "elections" to maintain the illusion of legitimacy of state); but I have difficulty believing that a phenomenon that so greatly benefited agents of state were not brought about BY agents of state in one way or another. The highest detention rate on earth (indeed, in the HISTORY of the earth) is a byproduct of empire building. Sam
    Samarami 2 years 31 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul, when I first came on the web (I'm a late bloomer -- only 5 or 6 years internet experience) I discovered Strike The Root and some other libertarian/anarchist forums. I began to compile a list of descriptors I had come across -- labels for varying schools of thought. I'll see if it will paste here: Various Libertarian and Anarchist Labels • Agorism • Anarchism • Anarcho-Capitalism (Mises/Rothbard) • Anarcho-communism • Anarcho-syndicalism • Anti-Positivism • Apriorism • Carsonian mutualism • Classical Liberalism • Collectivist anarchist • Communism • Consequentialism • Eco-Libertarianism • Eco-Socialist-Libertarian • Establishment liberal left • Explicitly anarchist, pro-decentralist libertarians (Kinsella) • Geoanarchism • Geoism • Geolibertarianism • Georgism • Green-Libertarianism • Individualist anarchism • Individualist/collectivist anarchist Individualist/collectivist anarchism • Left Libertarianism • Left-Rothbardians • Legal Positivism • Liberal socialism • Liberalism • Libertarian Populism (James Ostrowski) • Libertarian Socialism • Libertarianism • Localism and decentralization • Logical Positivism • Market anarchism • Minarchism • Modal Libertarianism • Modern Liberalism • Moral consequentialism • Mutualism • Natural-rights libertarianism • Neo-liberalism • Neolibertarianism • Objectivism • Panarchism • Plumbline Libertarianism • Polycentrism • Praxeology • Primitivist Anarchism • Progressive Libertarianism • Punkish/syndicalist/queer radical social anarchism (above two from Rad Geek site) • Queer anarchism (“sex workers?”) • Radical minarchists • Right Libertarianism • Rothbardian strain of market anarchism • Schmodal Libertarianism • Social Darwinian right-wing economics • Socialism • Socialist-Libertarianism • Syndicalist Anarchism • Utilitarianism (Friedman’s strain of Anarcho-capitalism) • Utopian socialism • Voluntarism And that's only a partial list that I tried to scratch down whenever I came across somebody using a term (often to lambast "the competition" I guess). You are absolutely correct: Humans sure are funny animals Sam
  • Debbie's picture
    Debbie 2 years 31 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I've been telling people for years that homeschooling is easy. It's only hard when parents try to force the learning, instead of working with the child's interests. Kind of like pushing to open a door when it says to pull. ;) As an offshoot to a free book I wrote about our early homeschooling experiences (which was intended to help homeschoolers relax and have more fun), I have been collecting interviews from homeschooling parents answering 4 simple questions and putting them on a blog. I have about 96 interviews up now and it's interesting to see how parents make homeschooling work for their individual families. Here's the link: http://homeschoolingisfreedom.blogspot.com/ Oh and I'm always looking for more, so Paul maybe you can tell your Oregon friends about it too.
    Suverans2 2 years 31 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    "You mean, the police LIED?" Were their lips moving?
  • golefevre's picture
    golefevre 2 years 31 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Really good stuff, Paul. I don't know that homeschooling is the best option, but I suspect it is by far better than government schooling when done in a disciplined manner. I would just add that there is still a place for learning from the masters and ideally that would be under the guidance of a parent paying for the tutelage. From a purely economic point of view, what parents pay for (for coerced "education") compared to what they get is laughable if it weren't so destructive to the moral and cognitive abilities of our children altered by government schooling. An option like what Mr. Ludlow is proposing is very appealing indeed. Thanks for your efforts and support out here in the parenting minefield.