1492
    Page Jim Davies
    "This method was a cheap and effective method of slow death. The victim was bound and buried up to his neck near an ant hill. A sweet substance, usually tree sap, was poured over the victim's head. He was then left to be slowly eaten by the ants. this method was used by Native American tribes and sometimes involved a second captive who acted as a witness. The witness would see what kind of death the victim suffered and was allowed to go back to his village to report what he had seen. This was supposed to act as a deterrent of further white settlement. However, this usually produced quite the opposite effect and angered the whites."
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    And look at what a few thousand years of agriculture did to the "Fertile Crescent." Vast cedar forests of Mesopotamia have been transformed into the Iraqi desert. Agricultural city-Statists call it "improving the land." Now that's rubbish.
    Jim Davies 4 years 21 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    John, it would be nice if an anarchist society were perfect, but I don't know anyone who makes that claim; rather, it is just by far the best possible form of society. Any time one person enforces his will upon another, there's a government in miniature. It may happen. That's why a justice industry will arise. http://www.strike-the-root.com/81/davies/davies4.html shows how I think it will function.
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    "Some say that intensive agriculture is wrong, that it "rapes the earth..." ~ Jim Davies Don't they say that because "intensive agriculture" depletes the soil, which is, in turn, propped up by the use of carcinogenic petrol-chemicals, which pollute the waters, the flesh of animals (including humans), etc.? Hasn't it been proven that the food produced by this "intensive agriculture" far less nutrient-dense than the food grown by the Amish?
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 4 years 21 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    Of course it wasn't all Garden of Eden in America before the government-loving Europeans arrived. The natives frequently fought with one another, and torturing people from another tribe to death seems to have been a favorite pastime. I am second to no one in my loathing of American government today, but must admit to misgivings about what life without government will be like.
  • Jerry J Brown's picture
    Jerry J Brown 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    This may be a great solution...http://www.getalookatthis.com/2008/06/30/radical-new-tire-design-by-michelin/
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    The idea that human minds can be swayed by information is daunting all by itself. The nature of government (a small number of sociopathic human beings exerting coercion upon the masses -- mostly non-sociopaths) is undergirded by this actuality. It's been that way throughout history. All "public media" is devised to make use of the fickle nature of the unwashed masses. But you know all that. That's part of the reason "capitalism" always reverts to "corporatism" (and why on sites like this one we who should know better are led to fight and haggle over the "evils of capitalism" -- a strange phenomenon in itself when you consider STR is pro-liberty). Media information is edited to lend support to "the state" (the real predators of society), who are dependent upon the large producers (lobbying corporatists) who rely on and seek legislation for the elimination of competition in the marketplace. I am emotionally fragile and easily swayed. At least that's the way I'm SUPPOSED to be. And sometimes that's the way I am -- but the web has opened avenues of previously inaccessible information and new doors of understanding for me. I'm not the same man I was ten years ago. In 2002 I was still clinging to a certain degree of statist mentality. But I'm not unlike many folks, I just want to be left alone. In safety. I'd like to know I can relax at home and ride my bicycle without fear of (non government) predators. The internet has shown me the main threat to my families' and my safety is government predators. Therefore the internet MUST be smashed. And it WILL be smashed. State parasites will see to that. Laissez faire must not be allowed into the heads of the proletariat in anything other than a negative light. It is essential the masses chant slogans of freedom; but they must not be allowed to catch a glimpse of freedom. Watch the video. It tells a valid story. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Guest Editor
    Story strike
    Evan: If WI, or any other dissenter, is banned then I will lose a lot of respect for STR. I'll second Evan's observation. If I can't learn from dissension without projecting threats or rudeness I might need to find another milieu. Sam
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    War Street Journal's usual plea for the Owner Class. War, rape, and plunder of Mother Earth and her Non-Owner children must not stop for anything. This reminds me of the Libertarian crap about smoking not causing lung cancer, in defense of the brave tobacco heroes. They'd rather murder the planet, somewhat like Ayn Rand stupidly killed herself with smoking.
    KenK 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    About a decade ago when I lived in WA the idea was floated in the state leg that high school grads should have to take a test that would indicate "objectively" [sic] what they really knew or had competence of and that the test scores would be put on the grad's diploma for all the world to peruse. Then some suggested that the members of the state leg should have to take this test also and have their scores next to their line on the ballot. Heh. The enthusiasm for mandatory tests with published scores idea quickly faded. More to the point I think it would be a great idea to have not just politicians but cops, bureaucrats, military types, and all corporate bail-out recipients take and have published drug and alcohol tests. Corporate welfare recipients are just as worthy of that sort of scrutiny as the single mom who gets food stamps, eh? We could call it the "What's in your bloodstream?"Act modeled after the Capital One credit card ads ("What's in your wallet?"). Fair is fair, eh? Why should one group of welfare recipients be singled out for humiliation but not the others?
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    The drug war protects The Owner Class' privation property values against you-guess-which-race "aggressors." "In short; RACIALIST SCIENCE is properly not an act of aggression or a cover for oppression of one group over another, but, on the contrary, an operation in defense of private property against assaults by aggressors." ~Murray Rothbard "Cops must be unleashed, and allowed to administer instant punishment ... unleash the cops to clear the streets of bums and vagrants. Where will they go? Who cares?" ~Murray Rothbard
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    George Carlin made excellent points and died an untimely death. The things I believe need to take place for one to be free of the matrix, however, are two: 1) Recognize that which is seen and that which is not seen. The "real owners" have ALWAYS been "that which is not seen". Not so much back in the days of the monarchy and the king, perhaps, but certainly with the advent of the genius scheme of "democracy", which created the illusion of participatory government so that the concept of "state" could become a tool of unseen but gigantic wealth for the few who understand how to play one factor against another. Thus you have corporatism -- the vying for political connection to declare perpetual war against competition and genuine profits. Understand ALL monopolies are set up BY predators under the guise of "our government". The old "anti trust" scam was just that -- scam. Quit blaming "free markets" when the state is organized to quash such a phenomenon in the bud. 2) Cease playing into the matrix. Don't volunteer for anything having to do with state. Don't "register". Don't vote. Don't voluntarily "file" thievery....er, tax "returns". I've been on the US federal books as an "illegal tax protestor" for 34 years, since 1978. Go ahead and take "your" social security and/or government and/or veterans' pensions. If you can't steal from thieves, whom the hell can you steal from, I say. I'm not taking "your" tax money -- it was stolen from you and gone from your hands long before I ever laid my greedy eyes on "it". But I never sign "petitions" or contact parasites of "congress" for additional "benefits". And, since I'm an "illegal" (tax protester, that is -- although I've never "protested" any taxes that I know of) I don't get "stimulus checks" when they bribe the sheep with resources originally stolen from them. In fact, I recommend you practice recognizing the language of statism and slavery and start utilizing the vernacular of freedom: America does not incarcerate more citizens per 100M than any other "nation" on earth -- America is the threat against the freedom of all natural persons. Gangsters (agents) OF America lock natural persons away for victimless "crimes". If you're going to be sovereign and free you've gotta act free. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Social Cooperation
    Web link Westernerd
    This guy laments about the absence of a "free market": http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B_FncAQsAJg#!
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    OK, Indian. I'll agree that over the years I've felt compelled to engage in "semantic game" of a sort to become free in my head. As a matter of fact that was what was required, I think, to finally break through and declare myself as "...a sovereign state.." States exist. They have borders. They have armed and often psychotic gendarmes to enforce the borders they have chalked out for themselves. Now the white man in this part of the world (referred to as "The U S") has taken it upon himself to build a gigantic (and laughable) fence down in my neck of the woods -- typically encroaching upon property "rights" (as though anybody had such things as "rights") and dozing across "private" ranches to build the fool thing -- to impress the masses that he is "taking action" (ha ha ha). Poor soul(s). "Get-Out-The-Vote!" I am a sovereign state. I have borders. My border enforcers are not psychotic and they are not armed, but those internal border guards do exist. They will react decisively when and if one tries to cross my borders without my explicit permission. But I quit "...rebelling against the State..." once I saw the light to declare sovereignty. I recognize the advisability to live in peace with the "family of nations" that surrounds me. Like the folks in a place called Switzerland, I have no need to be at war with the individuals of any other nation. I'll agree with Dr. Paul on that score -- why go to war when you need to make ends meet at home? And I do appreciate the compliment(s). Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Social Cooperation
    Web link Westernerd
    Indian: But you're not free in the holistic sense of the word. You're definitely not free to gambol about plain and forest to live a millions-of-years successful Non-State lifeway. You and I agree in that. I might NEVER be free to "...gambol about plain and forest to live a millions-of-years..." First of all, I'm 76. I'm gonna die one of these days. Now if you're of a religious bent you might say that if I'm "good" I'll be wafted off to "heaven" and live forever on streets paved with gold...(why gold? -- don't ask). But I'm more realistic than that, and that's why I ride a bicycle everywhere when I could well afford to drive a nice automobile. It keeps me from being enslaved in a nursing home. Second, there's precious little "...plain and forest.." on which to gambol about. I've got to be content with the ice-covered and snow-packed streets of the city for now. I've given thought to moving back down to my native Fayette County, TX (500 miles south of Dallas) where the streets and highways stay clear year-'round, but I choose to stay in Ioway close to family and friends. That's the price of free choice. I call myself the richest man in our town because few 76 year-olds are in as good physical or mental condition as I. That's why the "I AM THE 1%" bumper stickers on my bikes. I work because I want to work, not because I have to work. But I do see your point -- and it's well taken. There are and will always be limitations to my freedom. If no other infringements to freedom I'll have family responsibilities that keep me from always doing my own will. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Social Cooperation
    Web link Westernerd
    I need to add one more thought: I get the feeling from your posts, Indian, that you have a general mindset that states that nobody can be free without changing the behaviors of others. That I cannot be free living within the boundaries of what has definitely become a police state -- with government incursions on our right and government incursions on our left. My understanding of your posts hints that, due to the egregious and tyrannical behaviors of all those who engendered "Agricultural City-Statism (civilization)", and due to the fact I live within the fictitious boundaries of those tyrants, I cannot be free. That due to "corporate greed" I'm a slave. That's where you and I disagree. "Corporate Greed" is an interesting term when you analyze it. It fits the classic example of state agents concocting a "problem" then creating the illusion with the shapeless masses they are "on it" -- that they are working diligently to solve the "problem" (they created in the first place). "Just vote for me and I'll work to expand government to regulate them bastards!" The poor working bloke never comes to understand s/he would be better off if s/he would Abstain From Beans (and stay out of unions that are incestuously yoked with "the government"). Remember: the idea of "corporation" or corporate status is a government sponsored enterprise (GSE). Corporations cannot exist without government franchise and the political connect and favoritism that goes along with it. That's what corporatism is all about. And I am powerless to change it. But get the poor sheep chanting, "Corporate Greed! Stop Corporate Greed!" While they piddle away their productive efforts into the coffers of the concordat between government agents and politically connected "business" (men). I'm personally convinced -- and I could be 'way off base on this -- that genuine freedom comes to the individual who recognized his or her powerlessness to change ANYBODY. I can exchange information and opinion with you. And if I'm willing to keep an open mind I can gain deeper insights and make internal changes from the posts you write. But change you? Unless you showed an openness to change I'd do better attempting to shift the north wind. "If it's going to be, it's up to me". Through the mutual (and free) exchange of ideas and information we might -- and certainly do -- have an influence one upon the other. But my freedom is not dependent upon you or your approval or agreement. Be free. Sam
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Neoteny. You don't show much. (That's a compliment, Sam.) Now look around you. If you aren't familiar with the word, it's defined and analyzed well in the following article: "...Humans from domesticated cultures also show the same neotenous behaviors so often found in other domesticated animals..." Re-Wilding Humans by Jason Godesky | July 30, 2007 http://rewild.info/anthropik/2007/07/rewilding-humans/index.html
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Social Cooperation
    Web link Westernerd
    Indian: There is no "free-market" in civilization that isn't founded on lots of aggression. Agricultural City-Statism (civilization) is built on a pile of skulls and leaves a Trail of Tears. Sounds like a tale of woe to me. But that's no doubt the way you see it, and if that's the way you see it, that's the way it is. For you. On the other hand, in any "society" there have been free men and women. There were Jews in Nazi Germany and in the Warsaw Ghetto. They're the ones who wore no yellow arm bands, engaged in no "uprisings", neither made pacts with the enemy nor turned in or narked on fellow Israelites. Some eventually escaped, many died. But death is not a symptom of a lack of freedom. 100 years from today you and I will have died. I will have died free. I don't know about you. As long as you put the term "free market" in quotes, I presume you may not die free. Angry, perhaps, but not free. Sam
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    States, cities, crews, bands, marriages, pods, troops, and other social relationships are not fictions. All primates, and all mammals, most vertebrates, are social animals. It's just a silly semantic game to say social relationships do not exist in any specie. You're rebelling against the State because agricultural city-Statism (civilization) forces egalitarian-evolved humans into a hierarchical Mass Society to which less completely domesticated humans like you (that's a compliment, Sam) are poorly adapted.
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    From "Non-State and State Societies (pdf) linked by Indian: Today less than 0.001 per cent of the world's people live outside of the direct control of state societies. Now I see I'm gonna need to change the bumper snickers on all my bikes (I became car-free a couple years ago). Instead of the: "I AM THE 1%" they will need to read: "I AM THE 0.001%". Doubt if I can ink that in. Will need to have 'em reprinted. Indian: Q: How many humans in history have felt compelled to go around informing everybody that they're somehow free? I don't know if you are referring to me, Injun; but if you are, I'm not "compelled to go around informing everybody I'm somehow free". I might suffer from indwelling compulsion, but I'm not going around anywhere. I'm sitting right here telling you I'm free. Notice I didn't say "somehow free". I said free. There is a distinct difference between being free and being somehow free. Ask me about that difference some day. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    I'm a believer that in each of us is a smidgen of hope. Anthony is young yet -- he may yet see the light and change his writing style to reflect the illegitimate nature of "the government". "The government" is a fictitious entity when you think about it -- only individuals ACTING in the NAME of supposed "government" exist. But as I typed a few minutes ago on another thread, many of them are dangerously armed in addition to being sociopathic. I always believe a sociopath with a gun. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Social Cooperation
    Web link Westernerd
    Indian: Capitalism is white TAKER (thievin') culture. "Free-Market" is a masquerade to whitewash brutal aggression. I'm convinced ALL "ism" fits that category. When you put "free-market" in quotes I'm assuming you are implying "free" as overshadowed by predators claiming to be agents of state. That's "bond". Individuals mutually consenting to exchange -- whether items or ideas -- tend to avoid aggression (although I recognize there can be thieves walking around freely who do not sport state costumes, tin badges, and are not dangerously armed and touting claims of legitimacy). Free-market thieves (those without the costumes, tin badges and claims of legitimacy) are easily distracted through cooperation between consenting marketeers. I might be wrong. Challenge me. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Indian: Without cities, there is no state; with no state, there exists no cities. States and cities are imaginary -- illusions. Borders are fictitious lines in the sand. State does not exist. Only agents claiming to BE state exist. But they are dangerously armed. I always believe a man with a loaded gun. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Ah, yes, Indian. But drug dealing (along with prostitution) are about the only free markets left. Long live the pushers and the ho's!!! Once you deal with the fuzz, the rest is marketable. Sam
    Suverans2 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    One of the technical problems, even with these new upgraded programs, like the one we have here, seems to be that they cannot follow/comprehend/differentiate concepts very well. For example the one we have here cannot seem to follow/comprehend/differentiate the simple difference between "not being a member" of a gang, and "being free" from attack by the gang. Pretty lame. (Now, it will probably "screen scrape" the word "lame" and lob it back, because, after all, it is an "abuse" program, obviously.) Anyway, thanks again. It is easier to ignore it, knowing that it is just a poorly written abuse program. (Watch it "screen scrape" the word "abuse", now.)
    KenK 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    I am surprised to even see this on STR. These SOTU propaganda spectacles can't be of that much interest to anti-state types like gather here. Nice to hear from Anthony though.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Dogs are valuable property; drug dealers diminish property values.
    rita 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Funny the public uproar when a cop shoots a dog, but when a cop shoots a suspected drug dealer, nobody seems to care.
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Pot, kettle, black. Mr. Gregory is a consummate Statist himself, vigorously defending city-Statism (civilization) in previous articles. Thus, he holds a contradiction; I recommend he check his premises.
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Guest
    It's interesting that state media types came up with terms a few years ago in their endless "subliminal" quest to defuse grumbling about the thievery by predators of state: "sectors". We're often treated with deep discussions pertaining to the "private sector" vs the "public sector", etc etc. Ever so often I think they talk about other "sectors", but I couldn't tell you what they are. But if you take just a cursory look, there are two sectors: a producing sector and a parasitical sector. Franz Oppenheimer would say a "work sector" and a "robbery sector": There are two fundamentally opposed means whereby man, requiring sustenance, is impelled to obtain the necessary means for satisfying his desires. These are work and robbery, one's own labor and the forcible appropriation of the labor of others. . . . I propose in the following discussion to call one's own labor and the equivalent exchange of one's own labor for the labor of others, the "economic means" for the satisfaction of need while the unrequited appropriation of the labor of others will be called the "political means". . . . The State is an organization of the political means. No State, therefore, can come into being until the economic means has created a definite number of objects for the satisfaction of needs, which objects may be taken away or appropriated by warlike robbery. Franz Oppenheimer, The State (New York: Vanguard Press, 1926) pp. 24-27 http://www.franz-oppenheimer.de/state0.htm Sam
    Suverans2 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Hello Sam, Yeppers, independent thinkers are definitely mentally ill, in fact, that is what I told the psychiatrist, more or less.
    Suverans2 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Thanks, Dennis. I checked out ELIZA at wiki but I've not yet played around with it like Sam did. (That was then, this is now. I tried it out. Pretty basic, but cool, nonetheless. Thanks.) So, basically I've kinda been "talking" to myself. I better go check in with the Computer Therapist. lol
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Suverans2, I appreciate the link to "psychopaths", but having just climbed off a truck from a long day's trek I'm going to shelve it for now. I have to stay with light stuff when thinking in terms of the psyche, like this. Or my old friend Wendy. After that I can go a little deeper, such as Thomas Szasz's The Myth of Mental Illness. (Thanks again for the HTML help, Suverans2! Now let's see if they work :-[ ). As you can see, I tend to eschew the psychiatric hand-wringing for cases like mine. This guy's bottom line seems to go along medical party line thinking: medicate, incarcerate, psychoanalyze (over and over until death do us part). We're all here 'cause we ain't all there. Right, Injun? I'm veering away from "ism's" (like "libertarianism"), or "ian's" (like "libertarian"), and ist's (as in "anarchist"), and simply staying with freedom. White Indian has helped me focus on steering clear of ism's and ian's and ist's. They end up representing a target for name calling and grouping and tagging. I don't have time any more for that -- I'm gettin' old, gentlemen! I'm free. Anybody wants to debate that I can't be a truly free man in an occupied land, be my guest. You're probably saying more about yourself than you are about me when you try to dispute that point anyhow -- you ain't me. If there're any psychopaths about, just whittle out a few essays or posts here at STR. That'll cure ye. Eventually. I think. Regards, Sam
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Dennis, I did the ELIZA skit. Pretty cool for 60's technology. But I think I had the little gal in the box pissed. Kept turning the questions back at her. She didn't know how to handle old farts like me playing with the program. Reminded me of a few psychiatrists I faced before I finally quit drinking and got off the white man's "paper". Regards, Sam.
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Sam, Suverans, Try out the ELIZA link I provided. ELIZA was programmed 50 years ago. AI has come a long way since then. See the wiki link for details on how far. The reason you get no real answers is because you are "talking" to an updated version of ELIZA, complete with screen scrapers, extensive data bases and AI "learning" tools. Even so, the methodology is easy to see, especially if you spend some "quality time" at the link, "talking" to ELIZA. Is Jim Davies around? His IBM background should be able to back me up on this. Dennis
    Suverans2 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Sam, Notice the inflammatory word, "parrot", in the TROLL's reply. 7. Trolls do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy. And, when someone, wearing the masque of TROLL, consistently breaks the basic rules of "etiquette" and "common courtesy" when communicating with me, I eventually tell them to "gfy". But, evidently, lacking the human quality commonly called "empathy", (the ability to understand how someone feels because you can imagine what it is like to be them), they cannot understand why anyone would 'say' that to them.
    Suverans2 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    G'day Sam, I know exactly how you feel. Am I mistaken, or was your simple question, "Who would you include as being part of the "in" group at STR?", not answered?
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Indian: The in-group at STR is just like a Fundamentalist congregation. I'm curious. Who would you include as being part of the "in" group at STR? I ask this as one who has spent much of his life feeling like a man on the outside looking in. Eventually I had to get sober. Sam
    KenK 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Guest
    Good point.
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    And, the sad truth about Ron Paul, (as much as I like many of the words that come out of this man's mouth), is that he promotes the idea that if the citizen/subjects of the realm elect him to wear the PRESIDENTIAL masque, he can be their "political saviour".
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    "The danger with [all] modern State of the Union addresses is...that they encourage the Wilsonian view that ...presidents are political saviors...." ~ Peter Ubertaccio [Taken out of context for the purpose of emphasis] Thanks for the article and this link, Emmett Harris. The Sad Truths of Internet Trolls: 1. Trolls enjoy using shock-value statements, [and bald-faced lies], to get angry responses from others. 2. Trolls gain energy by you insulting them. 3. Trolls gain energy when you get angry. 4. Trolls are immune to criticism and logical arguments. True trolls cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how sound your logical argument is. 5. Trolls do not feel remorse like you and me. They have sociopathic tendencies, and accordingly, they delight in other people having hurt feelings. 6. Trolls consider themselves separate from the social order. 7. Trolls do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy. 8. Trolls consider themselves above social responsibility. 9. The only way to deal with a troll is to ignore him, or take away his ability to post online. gfywi More information can be found here: What Is an Internet 'Troll'? ~ About.com Internet for Beginners [Amended]
  • WhiteIndian's picture
    WhiteIndian 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    "Dangerous speech." What is "dangerous" about speech? Is it about blasphemy? Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! "Dangerous Speech" is the first systematic treatment of blasphemous speech in colonial Mexico. This engaging social history examines the representation of blasphemy as a sin and a crime, and its repression by the Spanish Inquisition. Dangerous Speech: A Social History of Blasphemy in Colonial Mexico Author: Javier Villa-Flores Publisher: University of Arizona Press (November 15, 2006)
  • Emmett Harris's picture
    Emmett Harris 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    Thanks, Jim!
    Jim Davies 4 years 21 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    Excellent, Emmett - thank you! Funny thing, but I didn't hear a political party SOTU response anywhere close to this clear.
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Here is a direct link to a current version of ELIZA. Not as sophisticated as what we have seen here on STR, but the responses are immediate. http://www.manifestation.com/neurotoys/eliza.php3 Give the link a try. The Artificial Intelligence (AI) field is quite advanced from this early effort. Dennis
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 21 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    It confessed that it is ELIZA. Indeed, it is a child version of "ELIZA" and "Abuse" computer programs with natural language processing. It screen scraped "Abuse" and "Eliza" along with generated non-sequiters from its prior post link and the person who put the program on "STR" adds an update tweak here and there to muddy the water for all we know.
    Samarami 4 years 21 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    When I attempt to define terms I know little about I'm only engaging in "grouping and tagging". I do some of that, I'm sorry to say. Usually when I've had a bad day or can't convince the world (whatever that is) to think as I believe they should think. To some, "anarchism" means "No authority. Period." regardless of "arch" content of the word. OK. Have it your way. To others, libertarians "sift out the authority above them that they rebel and rant....." OK. No problem. Some might even be guilty of that behavior at times. All I know is this: I'm free. I'm sovereign. I've fielded every argument from every brand of serf and slave in town. And I remain free. For an old timer, that's money in the bank. (No, I don't mean federal reserve notes.) Sam
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 21 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    Seems to fit pretty well. Wow. I looked at the wiki link for ELIZA and found: "There are many programs based on ELIZA in different programming languages. For example, in 1980, a company called "Don't Ask Software", founded by Randy Simon, created a version called "Abuse" for the Apple II, Atari, and Commodore PCs, which verbally abused the user based on the user's input. Other versions adapted ELIZA around a religious theme, such as ones featuring Jesus (both serious and comedic) and another Apple II variant called I Am Buddha".
    Samarami 4 years 22 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    From the article: The word ‘anarchy’ in Greek means "no authority." Anarchists’ central belief is that “no man is good enough to be another man’s master,” Anarchy is defined as having no political authority. The definition does not indicate no parental authority -- or even no community (common law) authority. Read John Hasnass' The Obviousness of Anarchy: http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/Obvious.pdf As I see it, when even well-meaning writers (such as Hanan Solayman of the Egypt Daily News may be) becloud correct definitions they change the perception of the reader. Mis-definition is the hallmark of politically correct -- and politically connected -- media, as most of us know. Egypt’s anarchists are anticipating a crackdown before the first anniversary of the January 25 uprising. They are perceived as seeking chaos; villains who want to bring down the state, defy authority and spread lawlessness . (emphasis mine) It is my observation that true anarchists do not join or support "movements", steer clear of mass "protests", have no reason to wring their hands and lament the tyrannical but predictable evolution of organized states. There is a distinct need on the part of governmentalists to redefine anarchy. Indifference is the anathema of functionaries of civil government. The real anarchists are not included in the photo in the article. They are at home, quietly but effectively influencing their families and their neighbors. Some may even be editing a response to STR. Sam
  • DennisLeeWilson's picture
    DennisLeeWilson 4 years 22 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    I've been away from STR for some time. It looks like the site has been invaded by an updated ELIZA program... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA