• traysea413's picture
    traysea413 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    sorry. he was born january 2011.
  • Tsunseyu's picture
    Tsunseyu 4 years 24 weeks ago Web link Little Alex
    I would agree with your judgment that it is human to be just. As the movie portray's by the sky people, we must be careful what society tells us is just. I also would say, that many people make an almost primal connection with the underdog characters, to a way of living that we used to have.. so simple and free... that has long since died off. You can see people's attempt to return to these simpler times in both the eco and minimalist movement. People are finally starting to revolt against excess consumption and environmental plunder... perhaps we will finally start living.?.?.
    Jim Davies 4 years 24 weeks ago
    To Govern and Enslave
    Page Jim Davies
    Sorry you were confused, Mark. The "two verbs" were of course "Govern" and "Enslave", in the title. Agreed, treatment of slaves no doubt varied a great deal. But the threat of being whipped was the sanction available, and it was used. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASwhipping.htm has some graphic proof.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 4 years 24 weeks ago
    To Govern and Enslave
    Page Jim Davies
    "in this country--the most free developed society in the world" [citation needed] By what measure is the USA the "most free?" What compels even radical libertarians to parrot that myth?
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Very good, Paul. The only thing I might give constructive criticism on is this, "(or not at all, if anarchists)". I may be picking nits ;) but most so-called "anarchists", I have 'met', are lip-service anarchists, and are, in fact, full-fledged members of the STATE. It would be more concise to say, in my opinion, "(or not at all, if one is self-governing)", i.e. in harmony with the "Natural Law of the human world".
    Mark Davis 4 years 24 weeks ago
    To Govern and Enslave
    Page Jim Davies
    Jim, the first sentence is a little confusing as self is a noun. I think you were contrasting self-ownership and self-government? The analogy with slaves pre-1861 is closer than you may believe. The Hollywood version of slaves walking out to the fields in chains as drivers whipped them is a myth; obviously they would not be very productive. Of course, some slave owners were cruel just as some owners of livestock are cruel to their animals; but most slaves were considered valuable assets to be taken care of. Many were also brought up as part of the family raising children, etc. But most were left to work plots of land like serfs. On average about 50% of what they produced went to the owners and 50% to the slaves. Some were even able to use their spare time to work for money which was how many were able to purchase their freedom. When chattle slavery ended and the system morphed into "share-cropping", very little changed. The perpetual debt incurred from trying to work leased farms left many former slaves even worse off than before when they couldn't pay rent. If they tried to skip out on the rent then the sherriff went after them. I think this is a very similar situation to today where taxes and debt payments to pay off money created out of thin air is more than 50% of what we produce, on average.
    To Govern and Enslave
    Page Jim Davies
    I think that it is a matter of semantics. Noah Webster (c.1828) clearly demonstrates that with his definitions. SLAVE, n. 1. A person who is wholly subject to the will of another; one who has no will of his own, but whose person and services are wholly under the control of another. 2. One who has lost the power of resistance; or one who surrenders himself [voluntary] to any power whatever; as a slave to passion, to lust, to ambition. [or to those who call themselves "master"[1]] 3. [Not applicable to our discussion.] 4. A drudge; one who labors like a slave. [for himself, his family, and/or those who call themselves "master"] I believe that Jim is using definition number one, while you and I are using definitions two and/or four, (or a slight variation thereof), when we claim that one can voluntarily become a slave. However, if we were to use only definition number one, in its strictest confines, we would probably agree with Jim. Believing that to be the case, I have given up debating the issue. "The truth or falsehood of all of man’s conclusions, inferences, thought and knowledge rests on the truth or falsehood of his definitions." ~ Ayn Rand ___________________________________________ [1] MAG'ISTRATE, n. [L. magistratus, from magister, master; magis, major, and ster, Teutonic steora, a director; steoran, to steer; the principal director.] A public civil officer, invested with the executive government of some branch of it. In this sense, a king is the highest or first magistrate, as is the President of the United States. Your "...highest or first magistrate [master]...is the President of the United States", IF you are a United States citizen (See the 14th Amendment to your Constitution).
    Jim Davies 4 years 24 weeks ago
    To Govern and Enslave
    Page Jim Davies
    Thank you, Scott! And no, I instanced Walter to suggest that somewhere on the 18th and 19th Century cotton fields, there was probably a man with the ability to become an Econ Prof, had he not been enslaved. But I think you knew that :-) Yes, S2, you're right; 100% slavery would mean being "wholly subject to the will of another."
  • Scott Lazarowitz's picture
    Scott Lazarowitz 4 years 24 weeks ago
    To Govern and Enslave
    Page Jim Davies
    This is a very thought-provoking article. Regarding the notion that an individual couldn't be a slave voluntarily, while I believe in free will and your points make me think a little more about the issue, I still believe that, in a voluntary contract between an individual and others with 100% consent from that individual, he could voluntarily be someone else's slave. And yes, re-education is the key to de-brainwashing the servile, obedient, government-schooled masses, to convince them through persuasion that they would probably be happier and more fulfilled in a land of freedom rather than under the dictatorship of central planning that we have now. Also, are you saying that Walter Williams was a slave of the 18th or 19th Century? Is he THAT old? And, you wrote, "Governing brings such a rush of intoxication that men spend fortunes to get elected." Yes, in 2008, Willard Rmoney spent over $42 million of his own personal wealth to lose in the primary, and he's spending more now to lose to Obama in November. And in 2010 in Commiefornia, Meg Whitless spent over $150 million of her own wealth only to lose to her fellow communist, Jerry Moonbeam.
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    Interesting, traysea413; you posted the following on July 12, 2010 "I am diligently searching for information that will help assist me in refusing the birth certificate/and or the social security number for the new baby I am having in January." Now you are telling us that your son was born in "january 2010".
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    "People served by Medicaid are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents..." ~ Wikipedia http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1643 Would you mind rewording this question, "are there any statutes or laws that can have a private health care deny him insurance"?
  • Xerographica's picture
    Xerographica 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    This is a really great article. If you get a chance I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on allowing people to directly allocate their taxes. By far the most common critique of this proposal is along the lines of other people being idiots. So, given this article, I figured this proposal would be right up your alley. Here are a few especially relevant entries from my blog... http://pragmatarianism.blogspot.com/2012/01/unglamorous-but-important-th... http://pragmatarianism.blogspot.com/2011/12/taxpayer-division-of-labor.html
  • traysea413's picture
    traysea413 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    I do not have a social security number or a birth certificate for my son that was born in january 2010. we live in virginia and i have recieved the laws governing vital statistics. my question is this.... can medicaid deny benefits for him not having a social? also, is there any statutes or laws that can have a private health care deny him insurance. any help is much appreciated!! thank you
  • traysea413's picture
    traysea413 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    G'day Jim Davies, I am not familiar with the chemicals used in this "highly chemical process", so I cannot say, at this time, whether I object or not. But, I can say that I would only object if these growers are violating the natural law, that is to say, if are they contaminating their neighbors, (such as with the highly dangerous "FrankenFoods"[1]), and/or if they are they contaminating their neighbors air and/or water supply. One can only be held to be "harmless", according to the NAP (non-aggression principle), if one, WITHIN REASON, causes no harm, either intentionally or through gross negligence, to one's neighbors, in my opinion. ___________________________________________________________ [1] A little bit of knowledge can be a VERY DANGEROUS thing. I liken "genetic tampering" to teaching a child how to take the safety off and how to pull the trigger, without ever teaching them what the end result might be.
    KenK 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Good article Paul. Internet based communities are a good first step but in the end you have to have real-time, meat space communities in the traditional sense of the term. "Boots on the ground" as the military sorts call it. It is better perhaps essential that you have a thousand persons in one place rather than have ten thousand scattered all over the rest of the country. Even radical individualist Stirnerites can't stand alone.
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    The answer to your second question seems to be here: 3. We were able to get a passport for our child absent the Slave Surveillance Number and birth certificate by obtaining a "certificate of no found record". We got this by the normal application for a birth certificate from the state department and since it doesn't exist the "certificate of no found record" establishes proof that our child has no state issued birth certificate and therefore is not a ward of the state. In this way you can assert your right to travel for your "American National" (not citizen subject). I say, "seems to be", only because, having never done it, I have no idea if that is correct or not.
    Jim Davies 4 years 24 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    No, S2, I'd not call this one a "nit" :-) I don't have figures so could be wrong but my impression about the relation between government and the organics fad is opposite to yours. I see organic veggies being "pushed" at high prices in supermarkets, and the wealthier the neighborhood the harder the push. I have the firm impression that limousine liberals are promoting it, and they are in bed with government. A year or two back I made a foray into the fruit trade and explored importing some from central America. One eager exporter there after another was quick to assure me that his plant practised "sustained" agriculture - as if I cared. All that mattered to me as a prospective importer was quality and price. Other growers told me that they had offered organic products but could not sell them into the US - the demand was not such as to compensate them for the much less efficient growing needed. So yes, it may well be that Big Ag favors chemical assistance, but I have no problem with that - on the contrary, it seems to me what has enabled the Earth to feed a dramatically growing population, and which will continue to do so. My fingers are far from green, but I understand that a very efficient way to grow things is by hydroponics; a controlled environment (eg plastic greenhouses) and growing beds of gravel through which water is circulated, in which are dissolved specific nutrients. Clean healthy food results - but it's a highly chemical process. Any objection to that?
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    NATIONAL A person owing permanent allegiance to a state. 8 USC [Title 8 of the United States Code] ~ Lectric Law Library's Lexicon
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    Definition of NATIONAL 1 : one that owes allegiance to or is under the protection of a nation without regard to the more formal status of citizen or subject ~ Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 11th Edition The word "or" makes this definition a little intriguing, to me. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language states that the following three words are synonyms for each other, so I am wary of all of them. "And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you..." SYNONYMS: citizen, national, subject These nouns denote a person owing allegiance to a nation or state and entitled to its protection: an American citizen; a British national; a French subject. As an individual secessionist, I consider myself an "American, since America was, (according to my Father and Mother et al, the land of my nativity, but I am not a U.S. citizen". Earthling has a nice ring to it.
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    G'day Akkarin, According to Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), at page 1024, a "national" is... A person owing permanent allegiance to a state. 8 U.S.C.A. § 1101 The term "national" as used in the phrase "national of the United States" is broader than the term "citizen". Brassert v. Biddle, D.C.Conn., 59 F.Supp 457, 462. Not much help at all, I'm afraid. If I find anything more definitive I'll pass it along.
    Suverans2 4 years 24 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Exactly, jd-in-georgia, I don't, for one moment, believe that the so-called BIBLE is "The Word of God"; but I refuse, as so many do, to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are still pearls in those books, even after the CHURCH thought that they had "sanitized" it enough for the commoners.
    KenK 4 years 24 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    I have seen that lame TV program Dallas SWAT and I have always been appalled at the way they casually do thousands of dollars of damage to people's homes. Okay I get that they are looking for fugitives; quite dangerous ones in some case. But even so on their own TV show which they control to show themselves in the best possible light the tapes shows regularly hitting a suspect's girlfriend's mother's house, or an empty house and busting out all the windows or pulling the doors out of the wall with their armored vehicle, only to discover that their informant's tip was BS. The person they were looking for isn't or wasn't there at all. I can't even watch that show i get too angry.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 24 weeks ago
    Origins
    Page Jim Davies
    Jim makes an interesting point about defenders vs attackers http://www.strike-the-root.com/1492#comment-5381 which referred me to this article. And following on Jim's "Based on the precedent of the Slippery Slope, my advice to anyone reading this in, say, 2079 is to be very wary of the word "we." I concur Do not discount the "I". Challenge the premise of "We". Oui! There is *No We*: Challenge the Premise. http://zerogov.com/?p=2334
  • jd-in-georgia's picture
    jd-in-georgia 4 years 24 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    It is funny, Sam, how the church DID want obedient followers yet at the same time DID NOT want people to know how to read. Otherwise the "sheep" may come across something like this: For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it. ~Ecclesiastes 7:12 KJV or better yet, this verse is very pertinent to the evils of copyrighting: The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit. ~Proverbs 14:8 KJV I know not what others may believe, nor am I attempting to evangelize. But as far as I can tell, God wants us to read unhindered so we can decide for ourselves what to like and dislike, and to believe or not believe.
  • jd-in-georgia's picture
    jd-in-georgia 4 years 24 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    The best things in life are free... especially ideas. Imagine if everyone could think for themselves? As long as there is a manipulative monopoly on information dissemination, real progress will always be flowing with the rapidity of a glacier.
  • Akkarin's picture
    Akkarin 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Scarmig
    What is the difference between National and Citizen? I have been trying to figure this out without seeing any good definitions other than that Citizens are also nationals. Also, what paperwork did you submit to prove your child was born in the US for a passport? I will be doing this for my child soon.
    Samarami 4 years 25 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Worth glancing through all the parts to the piece. Most of us know this, but the essay outlines the history of the incestuous yoke of governmentalists and religionists from the beginning of written history. The control of how the minds of the proletariat are shaped and controlled has been the obsession of all agents of both state and religion. Copyright encapsulates that joining-at-the-hip. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 25 weeks ago Web link Guest
    I don't know about we killing people -- I know I have no intention of doing so. After 60 years I still have nightmares about the old M-1's and "tracer" ammo -- the newest technology when I was a kid enslaved to murder for state agents. Sam
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    I love the way Atlas Shrugged Jsu Garcia (as Francisco d'Anconia) dropped the "e" and the "s" on his name. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFK7b5Io_s Atlas Shrugged Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcyYjmjcPj8 Antonio Buehler is wearing a T Shirt with d'Anconia Copper emblazoned on his chest. Who is Antonio Buehler? See "From the Right To Resist the 'Duty To Submit' by William Norman Grigg" as it relates to "Austin Police Brutality Against Army Ranger Captain--[Antonio Buehler]--For Taking Photos Of Cops Abusing Woman In Cuffs" (Posted under the caption "Armed trolls do NOT like to be photographed").  http://tinyurl.com/Troll-Watch
  • Darkcrusade's picture
    Darkcrusade 4 years 25 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    EMPLOYment is a term of art meant to ensnare those who are beguiled. (I think S2 could have enlightened that subject, if he had wanted to.) Would you have me to argue over what i have submitted in an earlier posting? http://www.strike-the-root.com/entanglement-of-compassion-and-liberty#co... Perhaps we ought to consider the Law of Necessity? http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3843/inalienablepolicepower.jpg Is the caged monkey free to not pull the handle to get the sustenence? (and starve? maybe?) Maybe that is the wrong question,but i think we are advancing. We are all victims of what information we have been exposed to. The studies have been done and we are likely to conform to a consensus. This braintraining can start with parents,to teachers,and than what we are exposed to from the manipulated media(movies,books,press &c. all manipulated information.) We are all a product of this mind/information controll, that is why the world is in the situation it now is.The killing fields seem to be on the very Horizon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDx5g9ql1g We are stupified at the elephant chained from youth who is now fully grown and still thinks he cannot pull a little stake out of the ground;but that is the nature of the training(mind konTROLL).It would be a major misconception to think that we do not suffer from this same defective atitude.(although we may rage against it.) “The populace will not be allowed to know how its convictions were generated. When the technique has been perfected, every government that has been in charge of education for a generation will be able to control its subjects securely without the need of armies or policemen." - Bertrand Russell, "The Impact of Science on Society", 1953 “Education should aim at destroying free will, so that, after pupils have left school, they shall be incapable, throughout the rest of their lives, of thinking or acting otherwise than as their schoolmasters would have wished." A revolt of the plebs would become as unthinkable as an organized insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton." - Bertrand Russell, "The Impact of Science on Society", 1953, pg 49-50 Empire does RULE the LOYalist. Moses is said to have been inspired to write that Scripture. I submit that ''the money [will again] faileth'' in your lifetime, so you will not be many years in Re-learning that lesson of history. See> http://www.amazon.com/New-Money-None-Willard-Cantelon/dp/0882703889 The folk song points to the ''indentured servant'' another term of art. > http://www.amazon.com/They-Were-White-Slaves-Enslavement/dp/0929903056/r...
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    Hi Jim, If you go to private messages, click on "Write new message", at the bottom of the text window you will see the html tags that can be used here on STR, to close one of these where you want to, you simply use the same html tag but with a backslash in front of the html letter, letters or word. The word "strong" is bold, "em" is italicized, "a" makes your text blue, and ul indents the paragraph. If this isn't clear enough let me know and we can do a bit more by e-mail. Also, there's a trick to embedding a link, so if you'd like help on that, just let me know. p.s. Almost forgot; if you create your post in that private message box you can preview what you have done, by clicking on, yep, "Preview message", then copy and paste it into the comment box when you are satisfied with it. For some weird reason there is no "Preview message", with "Comments". You can, I believe I have already mentioned earlier, go back and "edit" your comment.
    Jim Davies 4 years 25 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    Paul, this is explored in my article on "Origins" [of government] at http://www.strike-the-root.com/92/davies/davies5.html You say that theft is easier than farming, but as I see it theft (the mounting of a successful raid on defended stores) would be prohibitively difficult. That's because in warfare, attackers need about a 3:1 advantage in resources, over defenders. Yet a village or other community that had diligently accumulated resources and had time to spare as a result of the agricultural surplus would have enjoyed a substantial resource advantage over potential attackers who, by virtue of being hunters and gatherers or herders living from day to day, had nothing in reserve. True, during the period of growing and before harvest-time, that might not be true. But at those times, there would be no harvest to steal. In addition, there is the ethical question. If mankind can turn on a dime from being honest hunters to being dishonest thieves (ie, original sinners) then I suggest there is no hope whatever and we might as well give up. I don't. There is a rational (non-superstitious) basis for ethics, and it is that self interest is best served by acknowledging the self-ownership rights of everyone else.
    Jim Davies 4 years 25 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    Never mind "my opinion", S2, just consider the reasoning. Is it sound or not? What I said was that no human being (no reference to "living being") can be enslaved totally (not with respect to "time", but with respect to his nature.) Yes. And yes, thank you, it does follow that he cannot therefore be 100% enslaved, regardless of whether or not he volunteers. This is quite a discovery! Total slavery is impossible. This fits well with the accounts of people who have been tortured, yet survived. The tyrant took everything but their spirits, their inner persons. However, I can't see that the converse is true - that 100% freedom isn't possible. Indeed, it certainly is possible! All that's required is that the enslavers (yes, the "system") vanish. Let's help them do so. BTW, you and others manage to use _emphases_ in STR forum posts - bold, italics, etc. How do you do that? When I see a window to post, the only option seems to be Notepad-like text. '
    rita 4 years 25 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    OMG I'm a terrorist. (Please don't tell my parents.) OMG they're terrorists too. (Okay, don't tell my children. OMG.
    Suverans2 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Woke up way-y-y too early this morning and had trouble getting back to sleep, so y'all are stuck with me for awhile. lol Okay, here goes... ETYMOLOGY [of the name JESUS]: Middle English, from Late Latin Iesus, from Greek Iesous, from Hebrew yesû'a, from yehôsûa', Joshua ; see Joshua1 (Source: American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language) ETYMOLOGY [of the name Joshua]: Late Latin Ioshua, from Hebrew yehôsûa', Yahweh [sic] (is) salvation; see hwy in Semitic roots (Ibid.) So? Where is this leading? Technically yehôsûa' should be translated "halloo Yah", which means, "call upon the name of Yah", which in turn is idiomatic[1] for, "call upon the authority of Yah" NAME, n. ...8. Authority; behalf; part; as in the name of the people. When a man speaks or acts in the name of another, he does it by their authority or in their behalf, as their representative. Here is where this is leading. The PTB in the Roman Empire of that day, (just as the PTB of the Roman Empire today), did not want anyone calling on any authority but the CAESARS...they are jealous gods. Sound familiar? ;) Act 5:27 And bringing them, they stood in the sanhedrin. And the high priest asked them, 28 saying, Did we not command you by a command that you not teach in this name? And, behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine and intend to bring on us the blood of this man. (Literal Translation of the HOLY BIBLE translated by Jay P. Green Sr.) And what was this "doctrine"? Act 17:7 "...these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king..." Man, this is fun!! And what is the ONLY decree we read of in the so-called New Testament? Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world [the Roman Empire] should be taxed. What these "high priests" were afraid of is that the CAESAR would catch wind of their "doctrine" and they too would be nailed up on a stake for sedition[2]. Act 24:5 For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world [the Roman Empire], and a ringleader of the sect [party] of the Nazarenes... Basically sedition is kind of a 'catch-all charge'; it's what your government may try to charge you with some day...when they can't really find any evidence to charge you with anything else. I'm taking the time to type this all out, in the hopes that at least one of you will read it. Sedition. Communication or agreement which has as its objective the stirring up of treason or certain lesser commotions, or the defamation of the government. Sedition is advocating, or with knowledge of its contents knowingly publishing, selling or distributing any document which advocates, or, with knowledge of it purpose, knowingly becoming a member of any organization which advocates the overthrow or reformation of the existing form of government of this state by violence or unlawful means. An insurrectionary movement tending towards treason, but wanting an overt act; attempts made by meetings or speeches, or by publications, to disturb the tranquility of the state. See 18 U.S.C.A. § 2383 et seq. See also Alien and sedition laws; Smith Act. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 1357 _____________________________________________________________ [1] idiom noun ▸an expression whose meaning is different from the meaning of the individual words. For example, “to have your feet on the ground” is an idiom meaning “to be sensible.”
    Suverans2 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    We should not attribute Paul's writings (e.g. The Epistle to the Romans) to the man called Jesus [sic]. Matthew 20:25 But having called them, Jesus said, You know that the rulers of the nations exercise lordship over them, and the great ones exercise authority over them. 26 But it will not be so among you. (Literal Translation of the HOLY BIBLE translated by Jay P. Green Sr.)
    Paul 4 years 25 weeks ago Web link Guest
    Always wonderful to hear we can now more efficiently kill people we shouldn't be killing.
    Suverans2 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    Thanks, Paul. This is for those "not very smart parasites": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dMBKgSlUPg
    Paul 4 years 25 weeks ago
    I Can Do It; You Can't
    "Every state constitution... contains language that refers to the people as the source of all political power, which is derived from them." Mere propaganda, to make slaves more comfortable in their slavery. This is similar to calling politicians "public servants" or saying "they work for us". They don't, and never have.
    Suverans2 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    At the risk of ruining your reputation, that was, in my opinion, a very good assessment and suggestion!
    Paul 4 years 25 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    "I can see no reason why government should have followed the establishment of farming" I suspect it was the presence of accumulating surpluses, fixed in place. And the fact that theft is easier than farming. So yeah, the association of government (big parasitic government anyway) with agriculture makes lots of sense. And that association will continue until countervailing factors (such as personal firearms and communications tools) break that association. Also, there is protection. Say you are an early farmer and you have planted a field in wheat and vegetables. Come harvest time you find both deer and humans have raided your fields so your harvest is reduced. You hire a "protector" to keep them out. Eventually your protector owns you, because protection implies submission. Rather than asking why government resulted from agriculture, we should wonder whether it was even possible for agriculture to fail to produce government.
    Paul 4 years 25 weeks ago
    Dictates to the Union
    Page Emmett Harris
    People actually listen to state of the union addresses??!
    Paul 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Douglas Herman
    "The sickest part is that there is no _written_ law that compels such conduct." Completely irrelevant. This is, after all, blatant theft; something government constantly engages in, and MUST engage in to survive. One does not ask a mugger to produce documents proving his right to take your wallet. I thought I was being smart, putting some money in 1mdc (a digital gold currency). Little did I know this was backed by e-gold, whose gold was located in the United States. This country stole all assets in 1mdc by raiding e-gold. And really, it doesn't matter where it was located since the US claims jurisdiction over the entire world these days. A mattress is a better bet. Another good bet is not having too many assets in the first place; assets attract thieves. What I don't understand is the defective self-interest of the parasite class. If they had any sense they'd keep their depredations to a low roar. When the entire society is impoverished because no institutions can be trusted, we won't be able to support that many parasites any more. They must not be very smart.
    Paul 4 years 25 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Yeah, it might be a bit of a stretch to call Jesus an anarchist; although there are interpretations of Romans 13:1 not so subservient to government authority, e.g. http://www.freewebs.com/macinta/AO.html "You reap what you sow." This cuts both ways. Perhaps Christians have been antagonized enough by libertarians making fun of their beliefs, that they were less inclined to be charitable to the only libertarian on the stage when he said this. "...they rail against abortion while turning a blind eye to the mass murder of innocents committed by the US government overseas..." There is no inconsistency here, but just another case of misunderstanding Christians. Being pro-life does not turn a person into a pacifist! If I'm not mistaken, Christians believe all these wars are defense, and guess what? In defense you are allowed to kill somebody. Their error is not inconsistency in being pro-life, but in buying the line that invading other countries constitutes defense. Of course defensive war is fought only in one's own territory. We should stop whacking Christians for being inconsistent (which only shuts down any conversation with them), and start asking them what "defense" means.
    Suverans2 4 years 25 weeks ago Web link Guest
    This seems to be an appropriate place to put this: "The Venn Diagram Memes" by Stephanie Herman, Geke.us I believe it will give newcomers a real "feel" for the term "corporatocracy".
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    As I understand it, it is your opinion that there can be no such thing as a "slave", because no living being can be controlled, in every respect, 100% of the time. Using this same rationale, would we not then also have to conclude that there is no such thing as a "free man", because no man can be "free" in every respect, 100% of the time? I am not, in every respect, a "free man", I am not, in every respect, "free of THE SYSTEM", the simple truth of the matter is, I do not consent to be a frickin' "member" of THE SYSTEM. Therefore, in every respect, 100% of the time, I am not a "member" of THE SYSTEM. "What would We the People be like if all would take the high road of walking away from our evil would-be masters?" ~ Claude Armstrong
    KenK 4 years 25 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    Hmmm. Frito pies have been the downfall of many a weight loss or fitness program. But they are so easy to make and they taste really good too. Not especially good for you though.
    Jim Davies 4 years 25 weeks ago
    1492
    Page Jim Davies
    S2, as I perceive it such a promise would be fraudulent. You _could not_ become a voluntary slave. I tried to spell this out in the post above (locate it with a search on "Bylund") by noting a human being is a selfowning person. That which would hypothetically get transferred in such a deal would therefore necessarily still be a selfowning person. Yet you would be representing yourself as being a non-selfowning person, ie someone owned by your wife's caretaker. Sorry if I can't express it clearly enough. Best I can do is to repeat that a person is not two entities, "I" and an owned "myself", but a single entity that is _permanently_ self-directed. Perhaps we can try to imagine what it would be like. We're through the looking-glass, now no longer selfowning but controlled by another, as if our own brain had been bypassed by wiring that led directly to that of our new owner. May we speak? - only by permission. May we think? - likewise. This is impossible; we will think thoughts whether the owner allows it or not - whether he even knows it or not. Consider: even black slaves, although enslaved in practice in most respects, were still selfowning human beings. They had their own thoughts, they spoke and sang with each other, worshiped, had kids, developed a culture - and one with a strong influence on America. None of that activity was directed by those who had stolen them. They were viciously restricted human beings - but they were still human beings, selfowners. One other thought: you suppose a person might "sell" himself into slavery. Okay, so he has a million bucks as contracted, but now he's enslaved. Oops! Being a slave, should his owner require him to return the fee, he must do exactly that. Or should he wish to spend it, he must obtain his owner's permission for every penny. Or if the deal is to become a slave in exchange for care for one's wife, what recourse does he have if the wife is not cared for as promised? - being a slave, none at all.
    Movie Quotes
    Web link Sharon Secor
    They should have had, (IMO), several from the movie The Matrix. Here's one of my favorites. Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around. What do you see. Business men, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it.