• Zhenyi Li's picture
    Zhenyi Li 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    One day last year a daughter of Earl Spencer (who is therefore a niece of Princess Diana) called a taxi to take her and a friend from her family home at Althorp in Northamptonshire to see Chelsea play Arsenal at football. She told the driver “Stamford Bridge”, the name of Chelsea’s stadium, but he delivered them instead to the village of Stamford Bridge in Yorkshire, nearly 150 miles in the opposite direction. They missed the game.Essay Help|Expert Paper Writer|Write My Essay For Me|Get Free Essays
  • Serenity's picture
    Serenity 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Sam; your most welcome. I believe you are correct as well. The misunderstanding is on my part not yours. Hence the reason i am a better editor then a writer.lol. you hit it perfectly with the up coming ritual to entertain the masses called ''indepedence'' day. Serenity
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Serenity: "...The only thing i might differ with you on is the nature of the beast being better at one time of history. It never has been a good thing. History proves out its nature to be blood thirsty savages..." I think the reason for possible difference lies in my choice of words rather than any actual disparity between you and me. You and I both agree on the basic premise: all political action is always based upon monopoly of violence; all monopoly violence (where the aggressee is prohibited by law and/or "popular constraints" from defending himself) is brutal savagery. In analogizing "the state" with malignant carcinoma I suspect both you and I see it as an accurate parallel -- except that in the early stages cancer might be treatable. "State" offers no treatment due to the acceptance of most within its area of influence. Look, for instance, at the political holiday coming up in a day or two. Everybody will celebrate (except me, and possibly thee). What? "Independence!" Independence from what? "That terrible king of England!" (Old King George would roll over in his grave if he could get a glimpse of the egregious police state and the evil obamarama "his" colonies have morphed into since he admitted "defeat" and brought his red-coated war-slaves back home). South of the fictitious line in the sand it's "Cinco de Mayo" -- "independence" from "France", etc etc etc -- everybody has an "independence day", thanks to Big-Brother. It's an ingenious tactic by predators to whip the docile little sheep into fervent celebration of war and legitimization of state. Back to Entito Sovrano -- he ends his essay: "...Ideas are then lumped into a strict dichotomy of ‘American/un-American’ ideas whereby the ‘un-American’ are derided for simply ‘being’ un-American, without any further inquiry. Apart from the fact that this approach dooms one to poor historiography, this is also how nationalism metastasises into fascism... "The quicker that that history is laid to rest as history and nothing more, the faster those freedom-seekers will realise that there are new and better ways forward..." So the state is a diabolical malignancy no matter in what stage the victim discovers it. Last time I voted was 1964, after my hero Barry Goldwater was soundly trounced in the bread-and-circus promotion ("election") of the time. Later Harry Browne and a few others gently led me toward libertarian principles (some were more gentle than others, I should add). Then along came the internet and STR and other anarchy forums, where I could actively exchange ideas with Mark Davis and Jim Davies and many other top promoters of liberty. Statism was forever behind me. Many right now are dipping their toes into the icy h2o of anarchy -- some due to having been unemployed and desperate and finally awakening to the underlying cause of the malady -- monopoly violence. Others -- many others -- will come into our midst once the real crunch begins to unfold. I want the hand of liberty to greet them as they come over. Thanks again for submitting Entito Sovrano's article. Sam
  • Serenity's picture
    Serenity 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    I agree with you. Entito is a true anarchist and a brilliant writer. His take on things from an anarchist position are brilliant. Rank right up there with Lysander Spooner in my humble opinion. I admire those who can articulate what I think but cannot put into words. i agree with you that predators seek power but that is the nature of those who seek to prey on their fellow human being. power attracts the worst element of society not the best of it. The only thing i might differ with you on is the nature of the beast being better at one time of history. It never has been a good thing. History proves out its nature to be blood thirsty savages. Ironic that the reason for enslaving the indians was they were so called ''savages'' yet the state was the one who turned savage and still is. It has been brutal from its beginning. Washington used it to subdue farmer Shay and his whiskey rebellion. This monster has never been good. Only good at brain washing those who worship it and give it legitimacy. That is my opinion for what its worth. Thank you for your comments.
  • Serenity's picture
    Serenity 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Thank you Sam. I am very familiar with De La Boettie's work. Brilliant suggestion.
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Windsor Heights is a small suburb of Des Moines. It is said that if you are not white, driving a Chrysler and voting Republican you will be stopped by funny but dangerously armed clowns in costumes with tin badges as you drive through Windsor Heights. You'd better know what you're doing, 'cause those kids will try to shake you down for anything you have. Then, when you get to "court" down at the county court house you'll be shook down again by a little beady-eyed "judge" who "hears" only Windsor Heights traffic allegations. You will be "found" guilty. All police patrol cars in Windsor Heights bear bumper snickers that say something like: "This Car Paid For By Forfeited Assets". I'm often tempted to ask one of the young guys or gals suited up as "police" if they're proud to wear the overt label of "thief" for all to see. But Mama always admonished me to leave sleeping dogs lie. I came into being just after state predators ended alcohol prohibition. It had occurred to them they could steal more openly and easily ("tax") with less flak if they simply legalized alcohol (the vast majority of "public opinion" [ha ha] agreed). Plus they needed revenue to augment the inflation they were administrating to fund the war they were manipulating "us" into. This was before the gangster Roosevelt discovered he could steal all the gold from "the citizenry", making inflation much more accommodating. The "War-On-Drugs" was genius for the thieves and predators of state. They could steal AND subjugate citizens; many of whom, like sheep to the shearing pen, cheered them on. "Gotta go after them child-molesting drug dealers! Yes sir ree, Bob!" Few indeed could see that "drug dealers" were created and kept in place by government edict. They could "win the drug war" tomorrow by simply letting Walgreens and other merchants market drugs. Never, never try to make sense out of the egregiousness of representatives of monopoly state. Sam
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Another excellent "Strike", Serenity! Here's what I recommend: Everybody take 20 or 30 minutes and read this: http://tmh.floonet.net/articles/laboetie.html Then come back and read Sheldon's review of the NY Times column. Étienne de la Boétie wrote this almost 500 years ago, and it still exceeds most of today's writer's assessments of where the problems lie. In my humble opinion. (Humble? -- never heard of it.) Sam
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Entito Sovrano is a true anarchist. I appreciate your "digging him up", Serenity! Too many individuals sentimentally cling to the past. It's hard to give that up. It's not easy to clear the hurdle to anarchy -- even for those who truly want anarchy. I suspect many who talk a good libertarian game secretly fear anarchy. Predators, having ascended to "power", understand this quite well. The Jeffersons and the Hamiltons are only the progenitors to the Obamas and the Bushies. All government is brought about by sociopaths and follows the road to tyranny. All government is exactly like virulent cancer. It matters not at what stage the scourge appears, or how innocuous the first thefts from A to give to B seem. The malignancy of "government" or "the state" will always eventually consume "Our-Great-Nation" or "My-Country-'Tis-Of-Thee". That segment of the populace who have not been mentally prepared to understand what was going on and who have made no preparation for the final consumption will find themselves standing out in streets, wringing hands, hungry, looking for another Bush or Dr Paul or Hamilton or Washington to lead them out of perdition. Sovrano: "...it is said that in previous times, life was generally better for those that appreciate their own liberty and autonomy. Thus, the conservative believes that if we can ‘return’ to the values and institutional structures of that time, we will be able to achieve what they believe to be an ideal state of being..." I'm old. It's easy for me to fondly look back to my youth (before predators of state had even envisioned farm "subsidies" [thievery from A to "give" to B]) -- prior to one of the sociopaths' wars (WWII) -- and to remember when much of the farming was done with horses and single or two row plows and drop-planters and cross-cultivation of row crops (gasoline was extremely scarce until after 1945). The most one efficient farmer could manage was around 100 to 160 acres. Many fed large families on farm revenue from 40 acres. They were the "rich" -- "the 1%" -- during the major ("great") state-bestowed "depressions". Today I am the 1%. Not due to assets, investment or "money" in any banks. But because I see clearly and unmistakeably the anarchist principle: "If it's going to be, it's up to me!" Sam
    Glock27 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    Your remarks here have stimulated the growth of an idea. I recognize that the representatives, senators, and etc., are merely people with power to harm me in some manner, but I am garnering information to engage the enemy. Although many will deny the governments existance, in reality it does. One person can make a difference. I realize that the course I am about to set upon will, for all intents and purposes, I recognized will be futile, but at least I can feel like I tried to do something and that's write, write and write to reps, sens, bueaucrat heads, committie heads, etc. Thanks Sam.
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    Years ago I learned: never get into a pissin' match with a woman! Sam
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "...until I looked at it this way, flag-waving made no sense to me. But the people who attach themselves to these mental landmarks have great difficulty questioning them, even though some might be false or misleading..." Today was interesting for me in light of your essay and this particular thought therein. I love my family. I accept every opportunity to be with them and the grandkids (they have nine -- 9!!!). I'm rather of a "lame-duck", since the older children are now capable to ride herd on the little ones, eliminating much of what had been "grandpa duty". They are caught up in Ron Paul, flags, 4th of July parades and the idea that a good state must be a good thing (now all we need to do is work toward a "good state" -- oxymoron of oxymorons, but whom am I to judge???). They have homeschooling neighbors, the husband of whom is candidate for political office (state senator). Since I'm a "Korean Vet" they dutifully asked me to march along with them in the float all the homeschoolers had worked so diligently to construct for today's parade. I discreetly declined. Dave, my son (6th of my 7 children) knows I oppose the aggrandizement of war and I refuse all endearments bestowed upon "veterans" for the purpose of legitimizing predators of state and their waring agendas. Dave knows that I would never participate in such a spectacle. But he had to ask, knowing I had to decline. Gently. I compromised and drove the shuttle bus to meet them at the parade's terminus, returning them to their van. I fueled the bus and busied myself elsewhere during the parade. Afterward I took them all out for dinner and we enjoyed family time together. I realized, as did my family, that we live in a waring, nationalistic mentality. I can non-caustically side-step involvement. They've been around Dr. Paul enough to know "we" have no business interfering in the internal affairs of foreign political entities. I let them know in no uncertain terms that the US Military is and has always been a threat -- not a contributor -- to peace in this part of the world. Never insult me by thanking me for serving. I served nobody. Sam
    rita 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    Only men? This is a clear-cut case of sexual discrimination. I want a talking urinal in MY bathroom, too! (Where's the ACLU when you need 'em?)
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    "...I am ballistic over what is happening and I just cannot comprehend within my withering mind how even libertarians and anarchists can sit back and pretend to be so cool about everything that is happening..." For me it is important -- before I allow a thing or an action to overwhelm me -- that I examine that which is causing me concern, and ascertain if it is something I can change. I must not waste energy (like you, I have limited energy left) on entities or actions I do not have the power to change. For example, I can share my thoughts and my feelings and my opinions with you. I cannot change you. If, by examining what I've said, you change and later tell me your life has been improved by that change our conversation brought about, so much the good. I feel I've helped a friend, and in so doing MY life has improved also. Because I feel much better about myself when I know I've said or done something that has improved the life of a friend or neighbor, and feeling better about myself amounts to a life improvement. I, too, often become frustrated. I wish all you guys would just straighten yourselves out and think like I do (just kidding :-]). But to flail away at "the government" is a fools' game and an invitation to depression and grief. Government is an abstraction -- it does not exist. Men and women exist, often claiming "rulership" over the likes of me with the hope I will "voluntarily comply" with their machinations. I have sent no cowardly drone missiles over strange places to do harm to women and children of other lands. I am not responsible for the fact there are many cowards carrying titles and claiming to represent me who will gleefully do so. I will soundly deny culpability for their actions -- I oppose that behavior vehemently. They are not acting in my name. No matter how I slice the cards I'm aware that I am ultimately responsible for my own well-being and my own behavior. No human being claiming a "title" has authority over my life or my actions as long as I refrain from aggressive behavior toward them. I am not responsible for the behavior of others. To expect sanity out of governmentalists would have driven me insane years ago. I avoid allowing myself to bemoan anything done by collectivists, because I cannot reason with that mentality. That would be insanity. I am a sovereign state. Sam
  • Brian Mast's picture
    zygodactyl 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    Hello Glock 27, I understand and agree with your passion, but voting will not change anything. I trust that you remember how over 90% of the voters opposed the TARP bailout, yet the congress and all but one of the Presidential candidates figuratively flipped us the bird and passed it anyway. It is said that about 50% of the public is receiving a regular government check, so there was never a chance that Ron Paul would ever have become President. But even if he had won; the congress would have blocked his every move, and he probably would have been assassinated. This country is going down! We can only hope that many more people will continue to wake up, and/or for divine intervention if such a thing is possible. Back when I was young and ignorant; I served in the Army for 8 years believing I was defending the U.S. from the Russians during the cold war. There are other military veterans here as well. When Obama first passed the Health Care bill, I read somewhere that veterans do not have to pay for the insurance because all veterans are eligible for a partial VA coverage amount based upon income and whether or not the employer provides health insurance. I verified this information at the VA website and then I enrolled for the sole purpose of avoiding the mandated insurance payments. I do not ever intend to use the government doctors because I don't trust them, and I will not take vaccinations or flu shots ever again. I'm interested in switching to the Primal Diet and natural remedies just as soon as I get away from my travelling job early next year. All we can do is to tactically plan for the worst and hang on the best we can. Brian
    Glock27 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    I deeply appreciate your reply. Thanks. You have given me a lot to think about here alone. I was raised in West Virginia and parents were democrat. I use to be too, but then switched to republican, then when obama became president I didn't know what to call myself because I have no compassion for the repubs, nor dems. I started calling myself a "Constitutional Patriot" because I believed that if the Constitution were followed as written we would not be in the mess we are. I am just horriably frustrated, I am autistic because when my world changes on me I can't stand it. I guess my fear is that this nation is definitely going to evolve into a Faciest state and americans will be told more of what we shall and shall not do. We will line up at bread lines and be defending our homes from those too lazy to stand in a bread and cheese line. I have over 5000 rounds of ammunition and just this week I bought a Mossberg 930 JM Tactical 12 guage shotgun (semi-auto) Right now I might have about 500 rounds of shotgun shells. I am paranoid. I want to be left alone and these sons-of-bitches will not leave me alone. I have recently committed myself to the fact that I will refuse to give up my arms just because the UN and obama want them. They will have them when the actually pull them from my dead hands. Hell. I don't have that many years left anyway. Excuse my mumbling but I am ballistic over what is happening and I just cannot comprehend within my withering mind how even libertarians and anarchists can sit back and pretend to be so cool about everything that is happening. It makes as much sense to me as putting a Jack Russell terrier in a microwave and setting it on hi. Sorry this isn't a little more intellectual, I am not sure I can talk about the Federal Government in an intellectual manner because they do not conduct themselves in an intellectual or at least common sense manner. I just discovered this so I don't know how much I have been missing and how many people probable think I am a jerk for not responding. Thanks again Sam. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort in trying to sort this nightmare out. (Glock27)
    Samarami 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    Glock27: "...I think what is being missed here is that we now, no longer have a exective branch, nor a legislative branch, nor do we have a judicial branch of government as was once established..." Glock, in order for me to respond with a lesson in anarchy it is necessary to issue a word of caution. When you use the word "we" you are always including some folks who have no desire to be included. Read this article (especially watch the video unless yours are ears that are sensitive to what some consider "bad language"). Here's my reply: You may no longer have an executive branch, nor a legislative branch nor a judicial branch of government. I do. I think there might be one or two or several others on this site who will also acknowledge having those Branches, but I cannot speak for them. They will need to speak for themselves. That's the nature of anarchy. My President is responsible for the rotation of the earth on its axis. You'd better be thankful to my President. If He were to shirk His responsibilities and allow the earth to stand still for just a short time all the folks on one side would fry and the folks on the other would freeze -- at least as I understand it. But I really don't know that much about it other than hearsay evidence -- having read scientific articles, etc., (many from theft -- "tax" ha ha -- funded universities). And I never "voted" for my President. I think He "voted" for me, but that, too, is totally a mystery to me. I'm not a religious man (at least I'm not "religious" as most folks perceive religion -- but again, I can't speak for "most folks") -- I attend no churches, synagogs, temples or groups of any kind. My Representative does not reside in or around the District of Collectivism...er, Columbia. He is the Chairman of the Committee on photosynthesis. If you think about it, you should probably be thankful to my Representative every time you take a breath of air. But He does not need your "vote". My Judicial Branch judges based upon on Natural Law. As I understand it, that Law was once inscribed upon two tablets of stone and presented as a contract ("constitution", if you will) to a family of people who rejected it and its promise to provide superb rule: government of the President, by the President, and for the people. I'm told the very first politician (translated "serpent" and "satan", but more accurately would be "whispering enchanter" from the original Hebrew) had previously convinced "Their-Founding-Fathers" that they could have government "...of the people, by the people and for the people". The story is encompassed in an all-time best selling Hebrew tomb, the mention of which raises the rankles of not a few on this site. And that decision, my friend, I truly believe was (to quote your last paragraph): "...the clarion call, the trumpets that will bring down the walls of freedom and liberty..." As I said yesterday, the berobed nerds that are venerated by all the serfs as the US "Supreme Court" did not make any "decision" -- they merely ratified a forgone conclusion. They know who supplies the oats for their nose bags. You ain't seen nothin' yet! (I think that was Yogi Berra's favorite). Many, many this next November will figuratively be standing out in the streets, wringing their hands, weeping and moaning, with great hope, awaiting the mummery called "election returns". Neither you nor I need be among them. Political action is a fools' game. Sam
    KenK 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    The cure in this instance would be as bad as the disease it purports to remedy. How about instead we just abolish all military formations other than local militias entirely?
    Natural Law
    Web link Serenity
    THANK YOU, Sam!! It is the first time that this treatise on the law of free men has gotten two ten-star votes.
    Glock27 5 years 29 weeks ago Web link Guest
    I think what is being missed here is that we now, no longer have a exective branch, nor a legislative branch, nor do we have a judicial branch of government as was once established. Jonah Goldberg in his excellent book "Liberal Facism" points out that the development of Facism in the US developed from the "Social Progressive Agenda" nearly a Century ago into what we have today. I was horriably disheartened when the gereatric SCOTUS retardates turned down most of the Arizona "Imigration Bill", and nearly wept when those morons upheld obamaCare (small "o" used on purpose, as well as a small "p" later on). All of what we are getting is what we have permitted to happen. This is one of the contentions I have when persons bolster the idea of not voting on some moral high grounded principle they have invented. It is my opinion that every libertarian and every anarchist, hobo, bum, poor, bottom class, middle class and etc., must vote regardless of how useless you think it will be. I know these are bitter, nasty words to see for many, but the near future for this country and its limited freedom will soon be gone. With president obama's obama Care act, every American citizen will be required, by law, to buy insurance, and f you fail to do so you will be fined and fined and fined. We have Facism ready to explode in our faces, however, I am less fearful of obamas contender for the position. How many of you want the government looking at your private medical records and making decisions as to whether you should be able to continue treatment. An act of Government Genocide is readying itself to happen and the failure to vote will give greater odds that obama wll be re-elected. If he gets a second ticket to ride the second amendment will be gone. obama can write an executive order to have all firearms confiscated from the American populace. Many of you have issues with the Constitution and the men who wrote it, but now is the time to put those toys away and get serious about the here and now, these battles can be picked up later. If any of us here have any interest in living a free life, to have that liberty we so cherish it is time to set aside the drinking horns and do some very difficult things. If you honestly believe in freedom and the liberty to choose your way of life so do all Americans. Now is the time that at least one of the roots can be stricken and removed. The obamaCare Mandate having been upheld is the clarion call, the trumpets that will bring down the walls of freedom and liberty. I am neither prophet, or seere, but an observer and a listener.
    Samarami 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Mark, you certainly did Strike the Root in this comment. I wonder if Sheldon Richman slipped this old Read article in The Freeman to see how many were paying attention. I enjoy Leonard Read as a writer. But he scuffed up the boot on this one. Sam
    Samarami 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul, I always look forward to your essays. You have the capability to calm the h2o even while stirring up the troops. Flag-wavers, religionists, conservatives, liberals -- none present a threat to us when our own houses are in order. Seems the ambience of libertarianism has to do with presenting our message of liberty without ourselves being rude or unkind or combative. Plenty of time (we hope) for many of those who fit the above categories to turn around and pursue freedom and liberty and put their hands out to us for help. When that occurs I want the hand of our fellowship to be there for them. Sam
    Samarami 5 years 30 weeks ago
    Natural Law
    Web link Serenity
    Natural Law Submitted by Serenity on Mon, 2012-06-04 01:00 in Anarchism I second the accolation submitted by Suverans2. Spooner had the ability200 odd years ago to truly "strike the root", and I'm a believer in working with the basics when my head gets all confabbed with the stupidity of the day. Example: yesterday's US supreme court "decision" ("foregone conclusion" is the better term, since we all know those berobed nerds know who supplies the oats for their nose bags). "...Honesty, justice, natural law, is usually a very plain and simple matter, easily understood by common minds. Those who desire to know what it is, in any particular case, seldom have to go far to find it. It is true, it must be learned, like any other science. But it is also true that it is very easily learned. Although as illimitable in its applications as the infinite relations and dealings of men with each other, it is, nevertheless, made up of a few simple elementary principles, of the truth and justice of which every ordinary mind has an almost intuitive perception. And almost all men have the same perceptions of what constitutes justice, or of what justice requires, when they understand alike the facts from which their inferences are to be drawn..." Spooner had in his time what platform virtuosos today can only wish for. Thanks, Serenity. And good to see you posting, Suverans2. Sam
    Mark Davis 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    The comment I posted at FEE is copied here: "This raises a whole series of related questions about how you see the nature of government and what you’ve learned, if anything, from our collective experiences with it. I see the ideal government as America’s founders did—in the words attributed to Washington, a “dangerous servant” employing legalized force for the purpose of preserving individual liberties. As such, it is charged with deterring violence and fraud and keeping itself small, limited, and efficient. How can you profess allegiance to peace and nonviolence and at the same time call for so much forcible redistribution?" Indeed Mr. Read, what is the lesson here? When I saw the title I first thought that the article would be a principled stand against the state, but, alas, it is just a utilitarian argument against a bigger state. The state is a monopoly on the use of force, which is institutionalized violence. This barbaric system can not be used for benevolent purposes, as expressed well above, yet you then still fall back on the old canard that it must be used for “preserving individual liberties”. What?! Why? How? We need to set of a system based on tyranny to protect us from tyranny? What is left to “preserve”? Wishing and hoping that somehow, someday, the democratic process will result in high-minded, selfless leaders that won’t be corrupted getting elected to wield this “fire” is utopian, at best; I’d say hopelessly naïve. Throwing out the popular myths about the “Founding Fathers” reinforces my belief in the naivete of that position. When society is organized based on the principles of non-aggression and equal freedom, voluntary institutions must evolve based on competing providers of security, dispute resolution and protection of property rights. Preaching to statists (that the free-market can take care of the needs of society when it comes to food, shelter, health care and all other goods and services) will fall on deaf ears for good reason as long as you insert the Big But (security and judicial services). Free-market principles apply to all goods and services, including “preserving individual liberties”. That’s why it’s a principle. Once you compromise it, all bets are off trying to put the Genie back in the bottle.
    Samarami 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    John: "...I'm coming to believe that people learn only when they're willing to learn, and that it's useless or even counterproductive to try to convince them of something they aren't ready to accept..." I'm in full agreement on that score, John. I try to always remember the old childhood jingo-jangle: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". Sam
    Samarami 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    From Dr. Mercola's article: "...I strongly urge you to invest the time to educate yourself about the potential benefits and risks of each vaccine prior to vaccination, and to make educated decisions based on what you conclude is likely to be the best course of action for your child..." As I attempted to analogize from my experience some years ago: "...vaccinations are a lot like snake bites. If you survive the snake bite you may have developed an immunity from venom poisoning. But you'll probably never know for sure, because the learning experience you gained from the snake bite will have taught you to stay out of the woods without snake boots, and you'll never stick your hands into places you can't see clearly." In that sense we might conclude that vaccinations might work, or they might not work. We'll never know for certain. Sam .
  • roark1979's picture
    roark1979 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Dear Paul, The ruling class does not rule without at least tacit popular support. Your neighbor is at least partially responsible for oppression. As far as the "voluntaryists" are concerned on facebook, what aspect of the non-aggression principle have they failed to respect? Is it their inability to communicate why the NAP should be adhered to? Last that I checked, no violence had occurred. I say make 'em feel guilty for wanting others to steal from you for their government cause of the day.
    Samarami 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Although I'm not an ardent fan of Mercola, here's a link from his website quoting an article you won't find a trace of in mainstream media: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/25/mmr-vaccin... Sam
    Natural Law
    Web link Serenity
    Natural Law Submitted by Serenity on Mon, 2012-06-04 00:00 in Anarchism "in Anarchism", the perfect place for this "Classic by Lysander Spooner", since a true anarchist has no human ruler; he is a natural person[1] not affiliated with a man-made government, who, as a consequence of his political status, (or lack thereof), may enjoy his natural rights[2] and his natural liberty[3], provided that he obeys the natural law, the science of justice. ___________________________________________________________________________________ [1] NATURAL PERSONS. Such as are formed by nature, as distinguished from artificial persons, or corporations, formed by human laws for purposes of society and government. Wharton. ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 802 [2] Natural rights are those which grow out of the nature of man and depend upon personality, as distinguished from such as are created by [human] law and depend upon civilized society; or they are those which are plainly assured by natural law (Borden v. State, 11 Ark. 519, 44 Am. Dec. 217) ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 2ND c. 1910), pg. 1038 "Among the natural rights...are these: first, a right to life; secondly, to liberty; thirdly to property; together with the right to support and defend them in the best manner they can." ~ Samuel Adams [3] Natural liberty is the right which nature gives to all mankind of disposing of their persons and property after the manner they judge most consistent with their happiness, on condition of their acting within the limits of the law of nature, and so as not to interfere with an equal exercise of the same rights by other men. Buriamaqui, c. 3, § 15; 1 Bl. Comm. 125 ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 1st c. 1891), pg. 716
    Natural Law
    Web link Serenity
    "The natural law is, in essence, a profoundly “radical” ethic, for it holds the existing status quo, which might grossly violate natural law, up to the unsparing and unyielding light of reason. In the realm of politics or State action, the natural law presents man with a set of norms which may well be radically critical of existing positive law imposed by the State. At this point, we need only stress that the very existence of a natural law discoverable by reason is a potentially powerful threat to the status quo and a standing reproach to the reign of blindly traditional custom [common law/judicial decisions] or the arbitrary will of the State apparatus [statute law/positive law]. In fact, the legal principles of any society can be established in three alternate ways: ...by slavish conformity to custom [common law/judicial decisions], by arbitrary whim [statute law], or by use of man’s reason [natural law]". ~ Murray N. Rothbard A true "strike [at] the root". Thank you for reviving this, Serenity.
    Glock27 5 years 30 weeks ago
    E-Prime and Freedom
    Page Craig Russell
    Since I am nothing special, and never have been since I left home 50 years past, and been to college, and earned a Masters in Learning Disabilities, and, and, and so on. I have to say, since I have been a member of this site, I am learning stuff I would never have expected. All I must accomplish now is to learn how to read, not just look at the words. Thanks.
  • Sir William Blackstone's picture
    Sir William Bla... 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Entito Sovrano
    You're right, the founding father worshipers are obsesive, however those do not substitute as arguements against the Constitution itself; I point that out because that was the main topic of your paper, at least as far as I could tell. The example of the Constitution being trampled on by the Alien and Setition Acts was interesting, because it was nullified by two states because of their Constitutional authority. It was populary opposed and led to a lot of bums being thrown out, and the government went back to normal. It's also interesting how you point out that there were many failures of the government under the Constitution. This is true, but there are problems with every government, it is government after all. Can you come up with a more successful system government that lasted for hundreds of years though? It seems to me that if there were no Constitution, tyranny would still would've resulted just as much. I don't mean to attack you by the way, I too am a lover of freedom, it's just that this article doesn't make sense to me. I'm open to hearing your views however.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Watch out, Paul, or you'll get purists like Per Bylund on your case! But perhaps he's moved on to greener pastures; I haven't seen much from him here lately about how anyone who admits that there MIGHT be justification for a small government should be shunned. I've wrestled for some time with the issues you raise. On a train trip not long ago I sat at dinner with three other people, all of them pleasantly spouting what I consider to be statist nonsense. For some reason I didn't feel moved to put forth even a mild objection to their assumptions, and afterward I berated myself for not doing so. But more and more I'm coming to believe that people learn only when they're willing to learn, and that it's useless or even counterproductive to try to convince them of something they aren't ready to accept. Of course we should not be silent at all times, but it's a judgement call, with considerations not easily quantified, as to when it's productive to speak up. And definitely you're right in saying that it's silly to write off people with whom we have philosophical objections: that road leads only to isolation and marginalization.
    Glock27 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Excellent point. I have chronic pain and have been on narcotic pain meds for about 7 years now. My body has acclimated, but the need is still there as it does continue to help some. My Dr., just this past week lowered my dosage by one per day. That's 30 pills gone. I had a hard time with the 6 per day. I asked why, he said it came from DEA. I discovered he is a F*&%ing lier. Contacted my Fed House Rep. They said DEA has no legal right to tell a doctor how to treat their patients or how many pills they can or can't perscribe. I do hope that Dr. get the temerity to do as you suggest, but it's not gonna happen.
    KenK 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    If the medical practitioners that specialize in pain management and research had any balls they'd pull a Galt and just announce that until the DEA and the rest back off they'll refuse to treat or medicate any cops, feds, narcs, DAs, prison hacks or their families until they do.
    Jim Davies 5 years 30 weeks ago
    Dickens, Reconsidered
    Page Jim Davies
    Thank you, John. Discipline in the household, reinforced by a cane, yes; but that was not unusual for the time and place. And the day when complaints by small boys about bossy big sisters can be classified "psychological abuse" will be the day the world's psychiatrists dance in the streets.
    Mark Davis 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    There is no reliable scientific evidence showing that vaccines work, much less do more good than harm. The pharma-state complex has done a masterful job selling the myth of drugs and vaccines while capturing fully its state regulatory bureaucracy. Don't show me government statistics rigged to tell you what they want you think. I mean a real scientific study. Isn't one. The Polio Vaccine promotion was a very successful scam. By first expanding and then contracting the definition of polio (changing the names of similar inflictions), these slick shysters make billions while herding generations of children through their shot mills; the harm done was swept under the rug. Blasting babies, with weak developing immune systems, all at once full of poisons is criminal.
    rita 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    And actually, there's a huge difference between legal drugs and illegal ones -- legal drugs don't list "paranoia" and "a criminal record" as possible side effects.
    rita 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    "Drug abuse" is a legal term, not a medical one. By labeling all illegal drugs "drugs of abuse," the drug warriors have succeeded in labeling all users "drug abusers," less than human, our lives not worth living and therefore suitable for destruction.
    Glock27 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Entito Sovrano
    "The clear failure of the Constitution" I presume statements of this nature implicates the idea that the Russian or Chinese, or South African (as R.B. Ginsberg applauds) would be the perferd choice maybe. "Enabled usurpation" If that were true this Nation would already be a tyranny or a monarchy which Adams desired. "No one today is suppose to approach their Brilliance..." From my stand point this is a very accurate statement. Would you call the president more brilliant than Jefferson, and etc. Among the common mass they were and are and will continue to be. Now. They were not perfect and I have noted each in one way or another have made this clear. And my G_D look at Biden, Reid, Pelosey, then there are some dumb assed Republicans too. They could not hold a candle to these old gentelmen. "...founders trampled document way back then." Can't argue that--anyway, I am not arguing, just making observations. However, the abuse today is far worse than it was in the beginning. I get the impression that you and a few others are far smarter than the framers. I am not convinced of that. What I am seeing from you are emotional knee jerks to the Constitution "...handfull of might than a bag full of right.." This seems to tag you as an aggressive anarchist. If you have a gun in your hand you have all the right you want. You have argued the Constitution is flawed and maybe even bad, that even the founders started to deflower it, yet you offer nothing. I don't hear anything from anyone here who has anything to offer in its exchange except good old Ruth Bader Ginsberg. What I see are some of the most ignorant pricks running for office and know little to nothing about the Constitution and the the sheep vote for these morons. I believe the Constitution has a solid foundation that could work, and seems to work up to a point. If the social animals would be honest and abide by the Constitution, it might honestly work the way it was intended to work. The current president and his bozo are amatures. You blame the Constitution, I blame the sheep and the pricks. Every society has some form of guidelines for the pack. Every pack will have a leader either througs concent or by force. Since I recognize this, and know that we are going to have a government come hell or high water, I want it by concent, not by force. Please note. I am merely making observations because I am neither a libertarian nor an anarchist, though I do have somewhat of a bent towards anarchist points of view. Too frequently we see, but do not observe. I think Sherlock Holmes said something like that.
    Paul 5 years 30 weeks ago Web link strike
    Sorens had asked me to help with his 2009 version of this study, presumably because I had worked with him in the Free State Project state selection spreadsheet. I declined for a variety of reasons, some personal. One reason was the immense amount of work required, which I certainly respect with these studies. Another though, was that I had become a bit disenchanted with the notion of grading states with a spreadsheet. Some things are just hard to quantify. Liberty is more than just laws on the books; it is also whether those laws are vigorously enforced. It is "horizontal" enforcement. It is how bad the jails are once you are unfortunately caught in the system. And there are other such things. Montana for example often comes out poorly in such studies, but I "feel" pretty free when I am there. Maybe I just don't see that many cops, and the few I do see are respectful. How do you quantify respect among police? So I think these studies can be used as rough guides; I believe New York and California really are bad, and South Dakota and New Hampshire really are good. But I am doubtful about drawing too fine a conclusion from them. Another problem is that the studies reflect the things that the authors think important. In the FSP spreadsheet users got to weight the factors themselves, according to what they thought were important. Here, that is not so. I'm guessing weights come from those participating in the study. For example, not too many of them are gun nuts, I'd wager.
  • GregL's picture
    GregL 5 years 30 weeks ago Page Entito Sovrano
    I had to look up "heteronomy", but nice article.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 5 years 30 weeks ago
    Newt's Letter
    Page Jim Davies
    I'm sure you're right in saying that congressional bozos want to forbid mere citizens from communicating in any way that they (the bozos) can't intercept and comprehend. In the late 1990's, Newt was smarting about the fact that the government had failed to indict Phil Zimmermann, the author of PGP, for "exporting munitions". The issue died down some between then and now, but I have no doubt whatever that government thugs still want to have a back door into everything we do, and that a law mandating such access will be passed in the next few years. When that happens, I'll probably start giving away the steganography programs I've written. Let the bozos prove there's data hidden in the photo or music file I send you!
    KenK 5 years 31 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    The point I tried to make is that there is no reliable scientific evidence linking autism and vaccines. Lancet (the English medical journal that started all this BS in 1998) retracted their article publicly some time ago. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/02/02/the-lancet-retracts...
    Samarami 5 years 31 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Whenever I hear someone use the term "debunked" I wonder if they have a clue as to who might be the debunker, and who would be the debunkee. I know this: I ceased cow-towing to the parasites who chirp the vaccination slogans ("have you had 'your' tetanus shot?" -- Why they feel it's a better sale by using the second person possessive I know not). Last shot(s) I had was in the military 60 years ago and I almost died from them. I got kicked out of an emergency room for refusing to dutifully take "my" tetanus shot -- then two docs got into almost a fist-cuff and the second one took me back in and sutured my injury. Of my 7 kids, only 2 are "believers" and force their children to have "their" shots. The other 5 have had various confrontations with those who believe everybody should be vaccinated (under threat of violence). If one of my grandchildren even has a sniffle in the presence of sociopaths who push coerced inoculations the parents understand they will face dire consequences from the governmentalists/medicalists/pharmacologists and their czars. But that's a risk they're willing to take for health and freedom. They're homeschoolers, so aren't as egregiously exposed to enforced medicine; but there are always some who try to enforce their will upon others (even though logic would tell you that if the enforcers are "immunized" they shouldn't have a worry in the world from exposure to my grandchildren. Logic doesn't fit that school of thought). I did become immunized once, I should add. I carelessly let myself get snakebit and my arm and neck swelled up to the size of my leg. But the doc afterward told me I was now immune from snake bites almost killing me. So all immunizations ain't bad. Just the enforced ones, and it's hard to argue with rattlers. I just leave 'em be. Sam
    Samarami 5 years 31 weeks ago
    Let Go, Live Free
    Web link Westernerd
    "...Stop asking for permission! The state is just a large criminal organization, you do not need its permission to do anything. Of course, you will have to avoid their henchman from time to time but it is mostly in the west where the state really has much power and people actually adhere to their extortion and edicts..." Jeff pinpointed the crux of the problem and he gave us the solution in just three short sentences. But he needed an essay. The pay for three sentences is not as good as the pay for an essay. Ever hear of Sameria? I thought not. I'm the only inhabitant. But I'm free. I am a free, sovereign state, as a matter of fact. And I did not have to move to Cambodia or Thailand or New Hampshire or to a floating platform out in the Pacific (I can only imagine what a tyrannical nightmare "The-Government" out there might develop into once a few sociopaths get themselves settled in and start to manage and control their neighbors). Wherever on this earth I move, my freedom will depend solely upon what's between my ears. Liberty is not the purveyance of parasites who make up the local governments around the earth. If it's gonna be, it's up to me. Sam
    KenK 5 years 31 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    This bullshit has been debunked for a long time now. The "vaccines cause autism" crowd has now taken their place among the rest of the sad assortment of anti-modernists. Welcome to the gang: Flat earthers, creationists, Elvis lives, JFK murder conspiracies, 911 truthers, UFO-ologists, just to name but a few. And if these dumbasses are really willing to subject themselves to the deadly consequences of polio, and other deadly virus vectored diseases please, let's encourage it. The sooner the ignorant bastards die off the better IMO.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 31 weeks ago
    The God Question
    Page Jim Davies
    Per Darkcrusader: "a God small enough for your[--anyone's--]mind, []would not be big enough for your[--anyone's]need [to research and counsel others]....." This is self-refuting. So "do a little research"? On Darkcrusade's own terms "research" is ALL things being caused by Darkcrusade's god--including the refutation of the need for his god's own existence provided in this thread. That is doing "little research" indeed! Thanks for PROVING again that no combination of logic or facts is effective against a deeply-held belief." --Chris Martenson But again as I posted before, this issue of a "need" for a god or not or a person's education and rationality is a non-issue as long as he respects the non-initiation of force principle. I would rather continue to focus on the following since it is more relevant, productive and profitable to me and those around me. If Darkcrusade and his god issues are at odds with this then why? Minimum requirements for living peacefully amongst other people do not require a person to be "fully rational". Education levels vary enormously as do levels of rationality! The basic or minimum requirement is understanding and adhering to the Non Aggression Principle (NAP), a very simple MORAL/ethical concept that is even readily apparent to children. But sometimes moral statements are not sufficiently explicit or not easily applied to particular situations. Because of varying education levels, understanding the full consequences of moral statements and/or applying them consistently can become problematic. Enter from stage right: The Covenant of Unanimous Consent. [ http://tinyurl.com/Index-to-Covenant-Articles ] Best Regards AtlasAikido
    Jim Davies 5 years 31 weeks ago
    Gary Johnson: Statist
    Page Scott Lazarowitz
    Excellent analysis, Scott. There may be some argument for the LP to nominate a "star" likely to attract media and voter attention even though his libertarian credentials are less pure than one would like, but Johnson is not even stellar. A few months ago I took a quick look at the other candidates running, and found only Lee Wrights of any interest at all. He did come in second in the poll, a long way behind the winner. This is, as you say, a direct and damning reflection on the Party. In any case, it is false logic to suppose that participating in force can ever abolish force. Even Rothbard got suckered on that one. An anecdote: years ago, I took part in a Town anti-tax group and we paid a visit to the mayor of a nearby town who had won election on a platform of chopping taxes. We complimented him. Within five minutes, however, we realized we'd been naive. He made it clear that this time, an anti-tax platform had been his winning strategy but that next time if the wind blew from the opposite direction, he would gladly campaign to raise them. He had no principles at all, except to win. And, due respect to John, but how does any politician "create jobs"? - if he does it by slashing taxes and regulations so that investment money can flow more freely and so stimulate business and the hiring that may come with expansion, fine - but let's compliment him on the slashing, not on the creating. They claim that ability, but let's not give the claim any legitimacy - it has none. The best they can possibly do is to undo damage previously done. They create nothing; only the market does that.
    Mark Davis 5 years 31 weeks ago Page Mark Davis
    Thank you for the kind words and keen observation dhowlandjr. State courts/prisons are a pox on society.
  • dhowlandjr's picture
    dhowlandjr 5 years 31 weeks ago Page Mark Davis
    Hi Mark, I really enjoyed your article. It resonates with me. Your conclusion really sums it up eloquently and succinctly. I personally would not have written "second degree murder and should go to jail", but would have tried to opt for a phrase that communicated that justice should be done without implying that the state's edicts are legitimate or that imprisonment is what a free society would choose as a remedy. But that's just a small observation, I'm really commenting here mostly because I think the article is very well written and a propos. Thank you for a great read!