• braindead0's picture
    braindead0 4 years 29 weeks ago
    The Jones Plantation
    Web link Serenity
    Yet another clear..step by step analysis of the situation... that will be completely ignored by most people. Larken has a knack for explaining this, however most people (IMO) have a knack for ignoring logic.
    Samarami 4 years 29 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    "Not all such heroes of liberty have the theory straight. But it's on the shoulders of men of such raw practical courage that we now stand." Raw courage is accurate. I learned much from each -- inversely. Both were fraught early in the game with fatal fallacies: the idea that, if presented with reason and sound law, minions of state might respond with justice and fairness. Totally irrational when you consider what "The State" is. State is obfuscation. The higher the rank of state agent ("judge"), the greater the indwelling subterfuge. I never met Mr. Schiff in person, but spent many hours in conference with him at .65 - .95 per minute long distance, depending upon time of day. This was long before cell phones or "prepaid minutes" -- when a silver dollar was still a buck, and I had precious few -- poor as a church mouse and hounded by predators of state ("IRS" parasites). I met Mr. Hess several times in and before 1964 during the Goldwater campaign. He taught me (conversely) how to become a sovereign state: "Do what I say, not what I do. Quietly." Sam Sam
    Suverans2 4 years 29 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    "...liberals portray themselves as 99 percenters when they are really 1 percenters. They’re simply running a deceitful rope-a-dope, aided by the mainstream media*, on the American people." Nothing new under the sun. This deception has been going on for decades. "Capitalists have been at the heart of liberal and Social Democratic coalitions. Liberalism, Social Democracy, is still capitalism." ~ Excerpted from today's article entitled Dump the Statist Monkey Off Your Back by Kevin Carson _____________________________________________________________________________________________ * "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers*." ~ Thomas Jefferson * The "mainstream media" of Thomas Jefferson's day.
  • Bnewfield's picture
    Bnewfield 4 years 29 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    It's no surprise that the government is getting used to the idea of seeing the military around large civilian population centers. Did you see that video of the troops doing "maneuvers" in a suburban Minnesota neighborhood? Did you know that the Israeli Mossad is training our small-town cops now? The Posse Comitatus act has prevented the military from being used as law enforcement, so they've found a clever way around it: make the police INTO the military! This is just one piece of the bigger picture showing that the US is headed for martial law... Check out http://www.martiallawusa.com. It explains it all pretty well.
    Jim Davies 4 years 29 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    Thanks Thunderbolt. Your short post sets a fine example by being packed full of good valuable info.
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 4 years 29 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    I suspect, Jim, that Bitcoin will solve some of these problems. As the Gestapo has gained in strength, bitcoin has become more attractive to those with honest employment. The Gestapo does not recognize Bitcoin as being a currency. Bless them. One might simply insist on being paid for services via Bitcoin, the ultimate black hole of the universe. Mullvad provides a nice proxy server, and reputedly Cryptohippie is good. Exchange services have become available at Black Market Reloaded and Silk Road. One must avoid the dominant exchanger called Mt. Gox., which might seize your coins on a whim. As Frank Chodorov pointed out, the IRS is the root of all evil. Bastiat argued that the key to freedom lies in removing support for tyranny. May all the gods bless technology. And a special good word here for The Online Freedom Academy.
    Instead of Politics
    Web link Don Stacy
    "Do you ever get the feeling the government isn’t listening? If you’ve ever written your Member of Congress, you just might get the idea that while they’re 'keeping your views in mind,' they really don’t care what you think." ~ Excerpted from What does writing your Congressman accomplish?
    Glock27 4 years 29 weeks ago
    Instead of Politics
    Web link Don Stacy
    I think we have reached the "event horizion". Once there it's all over. I believe desperately in a third party system; hopefullly , sooner than later, but to expect all of these ideological concepts to suddenly meld into a reality I do not believe will ever happen. We are not going to get rid of the state, nor the federal government. I believe the only hope we have is to unite forces to affect some minimal change. Since the Constitution and Bill of Rights have been violated right from Washingtons time up to Husain Obama's fantasy land. Don and too many members on this site I believe are asking for and expecting entirely to much to happen at one time. This is the "vibration" I garner. There seems to be no singular focus. Right now, being a Libertarian is ineffectual. It all sounds too much like a Men's Club where everyone sits around smoking their Cuban cigars, sips brandy and reads the Daily Wonka while warming their feet by the fire. While doing this the politics of the day continue to amass against the greater good of Liberty and Freedom. What do I have to offer? What am I doing? Well, first I am not a Libertarian, but a person who believes in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, a person who would dearly love to have my Liberty and freedom in its originally intended form, I am a person who wants the whole of government out of my life (but that will never happen simply because of the two parties in control will never permit it to be so). What I am doing though is hammering my legislators daily with letters, e-mails and phone calls. I share with others I know to try and network them into reaching more people to assault the legislators. I find it astonishiing that the politicians can not see what is happening. Many democratic seats have been lost. Americans are showing that they are not going to continue to tolerate the political idiocy thats occuring in our Nation. I notice on Don's site that he contributes heavily to any and all Libertarian causes--certainly his right to do so. Your money your right to do as you see fit, but I would suggest at least to support some other causes that are actually in on the ground work of trying to get a hold of our nation in an effort to save its "soul". It is not for me to suggest another cause to support, only support one that is actually doing something that relates to all Americans, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, non-political. Please note that this is not a criticism, but rather an observation. Right or wrong, this is what I see. I hope I am wrong here and that every participant of this site is actually out doing something the assist in recapturing our nation. Philosophies can come later for there is a far greater mission afloot here, and don't believe in the concept the non-voting is striking at the root. If you do you are delusional. As much as I hate it I vote for the least offensive candadate. It is my belief that voting is crucial and probably the main reason our nation is in the situation it is in. Even if you are a non-voter, at least go vote and write your own name in for the position. I've said too much already. Gotta go and write some legislators.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 29 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Sam, I especially enjoyed Phinn's comments (paraphrased below). "...[Ron Paul's]...relevance, effectiveness, and significance is based on the fact that he’s using the outward appearance of an electoral campaign to run a media operation — to promote Austrian economics, and mention the Constitution on air a few times. Media is powerful. Voting is not..." Excerpted from Walter Block vs. Wendy McElroy vs. Stefan Molyneux vs. Ron Paul http://blog.mises.org/18150/walter-block-vs-stefan-molyneux-vs-ron-paul/... And after reviewing ALL of Phinn's beautiful points I found this companion piece: The Irrelevance of the Impossibility of Anarcho-Libertarianism by Stephan Kinsella on August 20, 2009 Mises Blog Posts www.stephankinsella.com/2009/08/the-irrelevance-of-the-impossibility-of-...
  • Darkcrusade's picture
    Darkcrusade 4 years 29 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    The Man and the Wood A Man came into a Wood one day with an axehead in his hand, and begged all the Trees to give him a small branch which he wanted for a particular purpose. The Trees were good-natured and gave him one of their branches. What did the Man do but fix it into the axe head, and soon set to work cutting down tree after tree. Then the Trees saw how foolish they had been in giving their enemy the means of destroying themselves. and> An Eagle was soaring through the air when suddenly it heard the whizz of an Arrow, and felt itself wounded to death. Slowly it fluttered down to the earth, with its life-blood pouring out of it. Looking down upon the Arrow with which it had been pierced, it found that the shaft of the Arrow had been feathered with one of its own plumes. "Alas!" it cried, as it died: Moral of Aesops Fable: We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.
    Suverans2 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    "Government is an organization that consists not only of those who are "given the mandate" to assume authority, but also of all the "citizens" who support the imaginary enterprise. The citizen is just as integral a part of the definition of government as is the King, President, Parliament, or whatever other fancy label some of the participating humans choose to affix to themselves. All governments must have citizens in order to exist." ~ A Theory of Natural Hierarchy and Government by tzo [Emphasis added] "Those who are 'given the mandate' to assume authority", can manage without votes* and (being armed with a printing press) taxes**, but they cannot manage without someone willing to be managed. * Thank you for that admission; it has been a long time coming. ** And, there goes the "tax evaders".
    Jim Davies 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    Thank you, Sam! Karl was remarkable, indeed; one of a kind. I met him at a small meeting in CT at which he spoke, dressed in a curious rust-colored cloak he had woven himself. Burdened with a 100% IRS levy on all he earned, he (a distinguished former newspaper editor and Presidential speech writer) lived in a dwelling carved from a hillside, vacated the money economy as far as he could, and earned a little cash by welding trailers and plows for his neighbors. I saw him last when he addressed a Libertarian Party meeting, in Chicago I think, wracked by pain and breathlessness from a failing heart. Can't recall what he said, but I do recall that the entire audience gave him a prolonged, standing ovation. Irwin persists in prison, now elderly and with impaired eyesight, which hinders his ability to write one magnificent legal brief after another, to show why the government should release him early. I fear it will not, in which case he will strive to keep living until 2016 and then emerge in triumph. Not all such heroes of liberty have the theory straight. But it's on the shoulders of men of such raw practical courage that we now stand.
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    I liked Kevin's last fusillade: "...The system can’t work when too many people notice the man behind the curtain..." Sam
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Sam, I understand and concur. Ron Paul, LewRockwell (Austrian Economists) and this site have been making it possible to see thru the political myths men have lived by since Neolithic times. Making it possible to understand that liberty is the mother of order not its daughter and that If revolution comes by violence and advance of light the struggle will have to be begun again. Paraphrased from Morris and Linda Tannehill's "The Market for Liberty" Book review--Freedom Naturally http://alpha.mises.org/daily/5305/Freedom-Naturally As in literature and economics Bankruptcy is the solution at this point. John Galt turned down the post of Economic Czar in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" for all the right reasons and left--(a direct alternative as opposed to an indirect one as Harry Browne points out in "How I Found Freedom In An UNFree World". The beast is indeed out in the open and at the very same campus Ron Paul spoke at recently in a prior link... May 08, 2012 Nasty as They Want to Be The Crackdown on Occupy by KEVIN CARSON http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/05/08/the-crackdown-on-occupy/
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Jim Davies
    Another hit for extra bases, Jim! This essay is definitely on target for me. I see the Ron Paul supporters and enthusiasts to be today where I was in 1964 (I and Karl Hess -- I see you linked to his "Death of Politics" http://mises.org/daily/3768. Karl was one of my favorite people, along with Irwin Schiff, all fellow "Illegal Tax Protesters"). None of us were born anarchists. It took what it took for us to see the root so we could strike it (or at it in my case :-[ ) Good work! Sam
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Atlas, please don't misinterpret my feelings on this Ron Paul phenomenon. Two of my sons and daughters-in-law and their families have worked their hearts out securing Iowa delegates to the Ron Paul entourage at the Repub convention. I love and support my family. I've met Dr and Mrs Paul and many of their children. They are genuine, delightful people. I would not hesitate to refer my girls and/or my "grandgirls" to his care as a GYN physician. I support and am greatly pleased at Dr Paul's dedication and that of his huge following to expose the fraud that all political action is. Dr. Paul is not a fraudster. I strongly doubt that he can be elected -- not that I'd want a dear old honest gent who is a few months older than I (and that's old, my friend, and tired!) to be thrust into being the top target of the evil that is labeled Government. Because target is all he would be if indeed elected. Even if "we" (US central government, that is -- which does not concern me except to whet my guerrilla survival skills) were to magically revert to a monarchy with Ron Paul at the helm I doubt that he could indeed convert a sow's ear into a silk purse. You and I, Atlas, are in tune on this. I'm indeed delighted to have been privileged to live in good mental and physical health long enough to see the beast that is political government exposed for the fraud that it is. I often wish Harry Browne could have lived to see this thing come into fruition. I'm glad Pamela Browne has. I am genuinely grateful to the Ron Paul's of the world and their supporters for sticking to their guns and seeing this thing through. I have a vested interest in seeing parasites and predators that make up what we know of as The-State "hoist on their own petards". Ron Paul activists believe there are rewards for mankind in political action, and that's what galvanizes their resolve. I do not. But I intend to show love and support to my family and all their friends who are working so arduously to make "Ron Paul Happen!". Sam
    Jim Davies 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Good job, Leonidas! Delightfully fresh approach. Clearly your piece had a major effect on the crisis fabricators. No sooner did it appear than the CIA foiled another bomb plot! See http://yonkerstribune.typepad.com/yonkers_tribune/2012/05/cia-foils-unde... They don't know yet where exactly the briefs were to be worn and exploded, nor where the wearers are, nor who sewed them together; but they sure didn't include any metal so even more rigorous airport screening will be needed in the future. But the story is not bad, given the short time you gave them to concoct it.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    It is an educational struggle and this is why I think Lew Rockwell's point is well made: "Ron Paul [has] already won the election" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F35AVbsFRU&feature=related Speak up, speak often and don't worry about those that at this point can not understand as they can never *un-hear* what we tell them." ~ Ron Paul An idea whose time has come and what that means: Ron Paul - 5000+ Crowd - UC Davis CA. - 5/3/2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmKVKs-m7kI&feature=related A *Reality Check*: Bound Delegates May Not Be Bound After All http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6lUuHCb1oY&feature=related This IS wonderful as is Mary Willison a Ron Paul supporter: Ron Paul victories upsetting the Republican establishment? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=N9sQ3DQeVow AtlasAikido PS RNC Cheats Ron Paul and "The Unit Rule" UNBINDS ALL DELEGATES! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTlAusSVZiI&feature=related
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Exciting, ain't it? And tempting. Almost enough to make a feller wanta believe Walter Block when he sez all "true" libertarians should get on Dr. Paul's bandwagon. And I'm being sincere when I say I truly admire Ron Paul and all his supporters for bringing the lie that is political action out in the open. Tempts a man to want to run with the crowd -- the Ron Paul Crowd!!! Not. Abstain From Beans. Sam
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Glock27: "We have no Liberty nor do we have freedom..." Don't know who you mean to include in the "we", Glock. But I have liberty and I have freedom. Of course I am a sovereign state. When you're writing "...our political system..." I think you must be referring to YOUR political system, because I have no "political system". My President is in charge of the rotation of the earth on its axis. I suspect few on this site understand that. I could be wrong. There might be more than I think. Sam
    Suverans2 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Like this (2) "They possess the power because the majority of Americans are lazy, and get their political perspectives fed to them by the 'Tonight Show', 'SNL' and other comic programs that attempt to proport [sic] themselves as journalists in some delusional degree. They think they have the truth and we don't."
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    There is something really big going on that is NOT being reported by the media... . Subject: 'Ron Paul’s Mega Crowds… No Media Coverage!' Date: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 7:34 PM Ron Paul’s mega crowds… no Media coverage! by Jacque Fresco Saturday, May 5th, 2012 Veterans Today Did you honestly think the Ron Paul revolution would be televised? Here’s a check on reality as to who is really the #1 presidential nominee for 2012. Whilst the supposed front runner Romney barely gets over 100 people to a rally, Gingrich and Santorum dropped out after talking to empty rooms of 30 people, one man has been pulling in the masses. That man is Ron Paul.Ron Paul is the only one in polls who can and would beat Obama, the NWO puppet. “Freedom is popular” – Ron Paul His message of individual liberty and freedom to all is growing a worldwide following. People are taking heed to the liberty movement as Ron Paul and others expose the criminality of our governments and institutions that have enslaved us for so long. He has the #1 support from not only the troops who no longer wish to be at war, he also has the support of the youth. The intellectual revolution has begun… http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/05/05/ron-pauls-mega-crowds-no-media-c... __._,_.___ Ron Paul Rallies Feb-Apr 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2e_FUy-3eo&feature=player_embedded __._,_.___ Ron Paul Delegates in Oklahoma Fight Back and Win!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttaZOoW0nA&feature=g-vrec
    Glock27 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    Nice piece and clearly entertaining along with sharp wit and literary skills. As I see it, the piece is an opinion. As much could be said of Strike the Root. I am in 100% agreement that our government cannot be trusted and it does not make any difference what group is in the lead. I think this was clear in the very beginning when the debates began at the "Constitutional Convention". Then, as now, there exists no guarantee for freedom or Liberty although it might be implied. Our political system is nothing more than a "Game of Thrones", melded with the "Borgias". I am wondering if it might have been easier to have just flatly stated "don't trust the government", as a premises and then make a few catagorical remarks with cites to substantiate the claim. Still a nice article, but it seems to me that the same thing is simply being said over and over--just in a different literary style. We have no Liberty nor do we have freedom. Each carries a proposition that to live in some degree of harmony we must be willing to give something in order to achieve that goal. Honestly the government, especially the one in charge now, just don't give a s*^# what we think or believe (but they might want to keep track of us since the FBI is working to get Google and etc. to not resist the bill to provide them a back door into their systems so they can keep more tabs on me, you and everyone else). They possess the power because the majority of Americans are lazy, and get their political perspectives fed to them by the "Tonight Show", "SNL" and other comic programs that attempt to proport themselves as journalists in some delusional degree. They think they have the truth and we don't. I agree that it is nice to have a site as this to bleed out the anguish each of us feel Militia group that would be intellectually honest about being ready to resist a totalitarian take over of our Nation (NOTE: No Terry McVeigh style of cognition). Good and fun article a solid 8 stars
    Glock27 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Guest Editor
    Story strike
    Wow! I have been looking for the guest for today "Serenity", but can't seem to figure out how to land on the article profile site. Maybe I don't get the joke and the whole idea is to be serene today. I keep getting kicked back to my profile island. I have a 2012 Dell inspirion5 laptop running windows7 home premium. Is it my machines fault I can't get to the guest post? Can someone out there set me free.
    Suverans2 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    You've got that right, Sam! Here's the exact quote and a helpful link. "The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, 'See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk'." ~ Harry Browne http://strike-the-root.com/quotes
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Yesterday's STR front page quote from the late Harry Browne went something like: Agents of state know one tactic and one tactic only. They break your legs, hand you a crutch, then urge you to chant how happy you are "to be an American". This story substantiates Harry. Sam
    Suverans2 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    Macmillan Dictionary (legalize) verb ▸to make something legal by creating a new law Wow! That's some "victory for freedom", your massa gives you permission to use a naturally occurring herb.
  • Kent McManigal's picture
    Kent McManigal 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Hein
    You might appreciate a video I made on this very topic: Theft by any Other Name
    Suverans2 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Leonidas
    I'll give this... "Every time any government agent makes a claim, no matter how innocuous, your default belief should be that the claim is a bald-faced lie until proven otherwise." ~ Leonidas ...ten stars!
  • mcgoverntm's picture
    mcgoverntm 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Interesting story, but there's no date for the martial law exercise. That seems to be a big omission.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Agreed! Disinformation On Every Front by Paul Craig Roberts PaulCraigRoberts.org http://lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts346.html
  • Paul the cab Driver's picture
    Paul the cab Driver 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    I would be very careful about what the Washington Post says. It has long been a mouthpiece for the establishment.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Hi Sam, As Dennis Wilson points out: "something better [than the Liberty Amendment] is needed...something that has a COMMON ROOT of everything that each of us considers to be important with regard to *interpersonal relationships*". And that was the *Second Part* of the post I provided prior to Sam's post. Quoting Dennis Wilson in a response to Jim Davies: "I look for those INDIVIDUALS ONLY who have already indicated by word and especially be deed that they are thinking and acting in a manner I can admire and possibly help or support with what I have learned. Minimum requirements for living peacefully amongst other people do not require a person to be "fully rational". Education levels vary enormously as do levels of rationality! The basic or minimum requirement is understanding and adhering to the Non Aggression Principle (NAP), a very simple MORAL/ethical concept that is even readily apparent to children. *But sometimes moral statements are not sufficiently explicit or not easily applied to particular situations. Because of varying education levels, understanding the full consequences of moral statements and/or applying them consistently can become problematic. Enter from stage right: The Covenant of Unanimous Consent. [ http://tinyurl.com/Index-to-Covenant-Articles ] *The Covenant of Unanimous Consent is a Political statement [ http://tinyurl.com/Political-Statement ] explicitly derived from the Non Aggression Principle, which is a Moral statement. A characteristic of political statements--and a reason why they exist--is that they are more explicit and do not depend as heavily on education level as do moral statements and they are less subject to "interpretations". *Education is a wider, more encompassing thing than is religion (i.e. religion is a subset of a person's education). And education continues throughout an individual's life and is a primary cause of behavior changes during that lifespan. *Free State/county/town movements are examples of people with varying levels of education--and varying religious views--agreeing to conduct their interpersonal relationships by the simple principle of live and let live. Personally, I am disappointed that NONE of the "popular" movements has adopted some EXPLICIT political pledge such as the Covenant provides. The closest thing to a pledge of personal conduct has been the Shire Society which needlessly plagiarized the Covenant and then REMOVED what I consider the most important part for a Free State/county/town movement, the Supersedure section! You, me, Paul Bonneau, Darkcrusade and many (most?) of the contributors to this site--without resolving ANY of our differences--COULD conceivably agree to the entire Covenant and live in close proximity to each other in a "Supersedure Zone" and even trade with each other, without engaging in physical conflict. This is possible because the contents of the Covenant are the COMMON ROOT of everything that each of us considers to be important with regard to interpersonal relationships. AND, as I pointed out in my article [ http://tinyurl.com/Objectivism-to-Agorism ], people who--for whatever reason--refuse to sign the Covenant, could still live amongst us and trade with us, knowing full well what to expect should THEY (the non-signatories or "dissenters") violate our Covenant's Precepts in their dealings with us".'
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    This thread has turned out to be a classic stirring of libertarians into proposing solutions (they ain't none, friends, IMHO) to "the religious conundrum". If I were in charge of entering a bottom line, I'd word it like this: Presuming there be an all Powerful and all Authoritative Referee in the sky poised to execute a ball toss, I'll tip the ball to Paul Boneau: "...So . . . criticizing religion connects people? If I had a nickel for every time I heard or saw libertarians taking a whack at religion, I’d be a rich man. Hell, some, like Molyneux, spend half their time doing it..." Paul saw the storm a'brewin' and wrote what I consider to be an excellent essay to quell it. I agree totally with his theme on this issue. Then along comes Jim Davies with this essay, written with his intuitive, jocular, persuasive style that I've respected for many years. I'll tip my hat to him, but not the ball. I don't agree with Jim's premise that there is a need to quash or denigrate what we in our arrogance might consider "superstition" -- but he once again displays that perception that stirs the troops into stopping and thinking about just what liberty is. I'll never back away from considering Mr. Davies to be one of my prime mentors on the web just because we disagree on this one little nuance. As Dennis Wilson wrote and Atlas linked: As long as "libertarians" allow themselves to get sidetracked into false issues such as religion, abortion debates, marriage definitions, "illegal" immigrants, Islamic terrorist "threats" and now the North American "Union", they will be successfully diverted from the one, single political issue that has a ghost of a chance of making a difference, The Liberty Amendment I'm not a proponent of political action, but if I thought (against my better judgement) that an unadulterated "Liberty" amendment had the chance of a hayseed in hell of being enacted by agents of state I might utter a rather weak "amen" -- but I would never register with the white man or vote in hopes of bringing it about. Atlas linked this morning to Dennis Wilson's column which reproduced Chris Date's recent essay, "There Is No 'We'" (originally posted in ZEROGOV, a site I think originated with our friend, Jim Davies): The fear of criminals is still rooted in collectivist thought. The fear of the other guy, makes us turn to the other guy. How many criminals are really out there? I’d say about 1% of the human population are actually psychopaths, and capable of real horror. Does this mean we should create an incubator for more psychopaths known as the state? We make more criminals out of our fear of criminals. This ties to today's STR quote by the late Harry Browne (paraphrased): "Agents of state know how to do one thing well: cut off your legs, hand you a crutch, then glow about how thankful you should be to "our troops" for letting you walk again" All I know is this: I want those warmongering bastards hoist with their own petards before they have the opportunity to force my grandsons and great grandsons take the bullet like I was enslaved to take the bullet 60 years ago. Of course now they're also lusting after the girls to train to be murderers: let "our" girls not only get blown to bits, but gang-raped to boot. So whatever it takes to enlighten the masses to Abstain From Beans, count me in. Sam
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    These complex problems regarding so called preferable behavior have a simple, premised and practical solution. I would suggest "com[ing] back" to this post and progressing and brainstorming that...I refer to DennisLeeWilson's, post on April 02, 2012 "Jim, I understand the "shock" of "being wrong". I thought *I* was wrong once, but luckily I quickly realized that I was in error to think such.... >>"But still, why does it matter?" >>"It matters because the prime task of those wishing to bring a free society about is to move our statist neighbors away from their belief in the need for, and efficacy of, government;..." It DOES NOT matter to me because MY prime task is BEING FREE. [ http://tinyurl.com/Individual-Sovereignty ] I don't need a "free society" in order to be free. What you are describing is at best, a SECONDARY task for me. I would NEVER reverse the priority of the tasks. MY secondary tasks can never be sacrificed to MY primary task. It is actually not even a secondary task to me, nor a "huge" task. It is an UNnecessary task. See below. >>"This can only happen when our statist friend begins to think straight; ..." >>"It is of paramount importance that people _begin to think straight_. Otherwise, they will never, en masse, ditch their absurd, superstitious belief in government." But THIS (understanding that government is a myth) is ALREADY happening! And it is happening without statists (not MY friend) changing their thinking "en masse". It is happening partly because of other things that YOU have written. >>"We have to change their _mode of thought._" Arrrgghhh. The "WE" thing again. NO! WE do NOT have to change their mode of thought. "Billions of humans making trillions of decisions could never be harnessed or thoroughly theorized by even the most brilliant voluntaryist thinkers or free market economists." Chris Dates [ http://tinyurl.com/There-is-NO-WE ] And, as I point out below, it doesn't matter to me what a man thinks or how straight or convoluted his thinking, as long as he respects MY right to exist as per the five Precepts by which I deal with other humans. I have NO desire whatsoever to meddle with the way most other people think. It is like wrestling with pigs. You ALWAYS get dirty and it only annoys the pig. I spent many hours as a youth attempting just what you recommend--and learning about "pigs". To paraphrase your own statement in Help Wanted, It is futile and a thankless waste of my time "...to try to impose ["MY version of what *I* consider to be rationality"] on people who do not want it and who made their preference lethally clear.". I look for those INDIVIDUALS ONLY who have already indicated by word and especially be deed that they are thinking and acting in a manner I can admire and possibly help or support with what I have learned. Minimum requirements for living peacefully amongst other people do not require a person to be "fully rational". Education levels vary enormously as do levels of rationality! The basic or minimum requirement is understanding and adhering to the Non Aggression Principle (NAP), a very simple MORAL/ethical concept that is even readily apparent to children. *But sometimes moral statements are not sufficiently explicit or not easily applied to particular situations. Because of varying education levels, understanding the full consequences of moral statements and/or applying them consistently can become problematic. Enter from stage right: The Covenant of Unanimous Consent. [ http://tinyurl.com/Index-to-Covenant-Articles ] *The Covenant of Unanimous Consent is a Political statement [ http://tinyurl.com/Political-Statement ] explicitly derived from the Non Aggression Principle, which is a Moral statement. A characteristic of political statements--and a reason why they exist--is that they are more explicit and do not depend as heavily on education level as do moral statements and they are less subject to "interpretations". *Education is a wider, more encompassing thing than is religion (i.e. religion is a subset of a person's education). And education continues throughout an individual's life and is a primary cause of behavior changes during that lifespan. *Free State/county/town movements are examples of people with varying levels of education--and varying religious views--agreeing to conduct their interpersonal relationships by the simple principle of live and let live. Personally, I am disappointed that NONE of the "popular" movements has adopted some EXPLICIT political pledge such as the Covenant provides. The closest thing to a pledge of personal conduct has been the Shire Society which needlessly plagiarized the Covenant and then REMOVED what I consider the most important part for a Free State/county/town movement, the Supersedure section! You, me, Paul Bonneau, Darkcrusade and many (most?) of the contributors to this site--without resolving ANY of our differences--COULD conceivably agree to the entire Covenant and live in close proximity to each other in a "Supersedure Zone" and even trade with each other, without engaging in physical conflict. This is possible because the contents of the Covenant are the COMMON ROOT of everything that each of us considers to be important with regard to interpersonal relationships. AND, as I pointed out in my article [ http://tinyurl.com/Objectivism-to-Agorism ], people who--for whatever reason--refuse to sign the Covenant, could still live amongst us and trade with us, knowing full well what to expect should THEY (the non-signatories or "dissenters") violate our Covenant's Precepts in their dealings with us. Dennis Lee Wilson Signatory: The Covenant of Unanimous Consent. Undo 'Like this' (3) reply"
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Two things. Actually three. I and another poster already provided Two links. One: An Article: http://tinyurl.com/First-Cause-article AND Two: A Definition: http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/existence.html And in a prior post I *excerpted* the definition, which has (three) short supporting paras posted with ** emphasis to what you excerpted in your post...And it would appear you have not read them given your response. I see that you posit circular reasoning as a flaw when in-fact the definition is a http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tautology as already explained and teased out in a prior post. The article is also VERY short, clear and to the point and Dennis Wilson walked thru the issues with Jim Davies....And it looks very favorable...so far. I point that out because that is where I would go back to address any issues (if I was wrestling with this). The article AND definition are in the prior posts on this thread and only a few day old...carried forward from the beginning of this thread. Three: I see no refutation from you on the article nor the definition. No definition of existence as you are using it and how it is different than what I provided nor an article supporting YOUR position and how that is different. Best Regards my friend, AtlasAikido
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Leave it to Fred to see through the intellectual bamboozlement. Fred and I both cut our eye teeth on sorghum cane stocks -- many, many years ago. Gary North made an astute observation on what I've come to call "intellectual blackmail" in his essay, Why Economists Love the Federal Reserve: I am not saying that the banking system is the only cartel that has Kings-X protection from the economists. One other does: university education. These two exceptions can be explained in terms of the fundamental economic category of individual self-interest. It is not in the self-interest of salaried economists teaching inside the educational cartel to apply the economics of cartels to their employers. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Every Ph.D.-holding academic has paid a high price for his degree: years of forfeited income, the struggle to master obvious intellectual piffle, tuition fees, textbook fees, and groveling for years to their professors to one degree or another and for one degree or another. Like apprentices in some medieval urban guild, they seek above-market income through entry into a cartel. Once in, they do not want the guild to lose its ability to enforce barriers to entry. To lose this power would be to face free market competition. They have worked too hard for too long to accept this outcome. Academics are, in the language of mainstream economics, rent-seekers. As I said earlier, the arguments over abject intellectualism vs ridiculous religiosity provides an excellent tactic to divide and conquer anarchists and insulate the masses from the anarchist message of freedom -- and the exposure of the illegitimacy of state agents. Keep 'em fighting over "existence vs non-existence" and similar detritus and we won't have to worry about their distracting** our voters from doing their civic duty. Sam ** Well, Suverans2, for some reason I can't get Jim's link to embed. Here it is: http://www.strike-the-root.com/82/davies/davies8.html
    Page Jim Davies
    G'day AtlasAikido, Is this what you are referring to as a "definition" of the word existence, my friend? "Existence exists—and the act of grasping that statement implies two corollary axioms: that something exists which one perceives and that one exists possessing consciousness, consciousness being the faculty of perceiving that which exists..." ~ http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/existence.html If so, maybe I am "just hopelessly stupid", as you seem to be implying, because to my mind that definitely does not define the word existence, rather it tries to explain the statement "existence exists". If not, please, show me where you have defined that word, I must have missed it.
  • Tony Pivetta's picture
    Tony Pivetta 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Great point on the quasi-religious devotion surrounding Darwin's theory of evolution, Sam. Fred Reed has a hilarious take on it in his essay "The Metaphysics of Evolution": "My favorite example, which does not reach the level of plausibility, is such artifacts as the tail of a peacock, which obviously make the bird easier to see and eat. So help me, I have several times seen the assertion that females figure that any male who can survive such a horrendous disadvantage must really be tough, and therefore good mating material. The tail increases fitness by decreasing fitness. A Boy Named Sue." Evolution is a dogma in the Church of Darwin. Its disciples have no shame shoehorning sensory-sensual space-time data into their preconceived notions.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Is this what was done to you? IS the above what passes for intellectual honesty in your book and your reference to "existential willie" in a prior post? And the link you supplied with it? Frankly I am not interested in your unsupported conclusions. Where is the support for your conclusions? You might want to hold yourself to the same standards you attempt to hold others to. Apparently the exceptionalism card works for you. Not for me. If you really don't know what "existence" is perhaps you should tell the strikers here why the definition I clearly already provided does not make sense. And why your definition does! And the same with the article I clearly provided. Best regards, Atlas Aikido Loneliness, Hatred, Reason, Revolution - Freedomain Radio Listener Emails http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsgCep9INQ
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Voluntaryist, I've been gone for a time and just saw your response to my simple question, "why"?. What I was getting at back then was the danger of focusing on things I can't control. Your belief system would fit that category. If you espouse a belief that I label in my brilliant, all-knowing, libertarian head as "superstition" I'd make better use of my emotional energy going out and shouting at the north wind in January than I would attempting to "reason" with you to change to conform with what I know is "logical". At least I won't insult or offend the north wind -- she'll just keep a'blowin'. Blowin' is what north winds believe in. I think. If it turns out you're new around here and just testing the libertarian h2o to see if there's any veracity to it, and I ridicule and/or offend you, that will probably cost me my chance to be an example for you in the event you're sincerely trying to achieve what we here at STR think we "have". You'll throw me out with the baby's bath water. Doesn't mean I should be a pansy and fail to speak boldly about what I believe. I believe, for instance, that as long as there are elections in which even a small portion of "eligible voters" participate there will remain ensconced out in the District of Collectivism agents of state ("elected officials" -- presidents, senators, et al.) who will claim the election as their "mandate" to take our sons and daughters to war. In my case it's grandchildren and soon my great grandchildren -- thankfully all 4 of my boys missed being enslaved ("drafted") like happened to me when I was as a dumb kid in the early 50's. Like the blowin' of the wind, that's what agents of state do -- they make up excuses to send "their" young men and women ("citizens") to war. And I've spent 60 years unlearning the killer mentality instilled by my enslavement. Abstain From Beans Sam
    Suverans2 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Hein
    Just walk away.
    Page Jim Davies
    I refuse to "play along with the pretense" that that makes sense, though some may think me "just hopelessly stupid". So be it.
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    And thank you, eugenedw, for your astuteness. Beliefs cannot hurt you, or me, or Jim Davies. We all have them, as a matter of fact. Beliefs are what make up each of our unique, individual personalities. Some beliefs might be vestiges from youth that, as I've come to see liberty and libertarianism (I dislike using "ism", but there it is) and anarchy, I've abandoned or modified to certain degrees. But if there is a hallmark in our ideology it has to be openness to each other and prospective "Strikers of the Roots" to believe what they believe in freedom -- without being ridiculed by others of us. What's it to me what you believe as long as you don't commit aggression upon me as a part of your "practice". On the other hand, if you want to be rude and unkind and ridicule beliefs I'll support your "right" (whatever that's supposed to mean) to be so. Come back, White Indian. Sam
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Some miss the simplest application of logic let alone the excerpted definition and article *I* provided in the prior posts. Not what to think, but how to think IF one wants to work things out for themselves.... Those that say they need a "dictionary" to *exist* and a referent to refer to. But ask what is existence? How does one address a non-entity (they tell us they do not know what existence is)? This is demanding I tell them how they can have their cake and eat it. This is just another variant of what statist and religious supporters do. Replacing one authority with another... Dear Reader, no wonder, no worries, they count on those around them to fill in their blank outs for them. Living in a world, universe, (existence) they cannot intellectually grasp by their own admission--but for their ex post facto stories, quaint little homilies and mixed premises they use in place of non-contradictory thinking.... THANK YOU, Darkcrusade, AND Suverans2 for providing PROOF that Paul Bonneau is right and Jim Davies is wrong regarding the ability--and the need--to convert religious people to rationality. "God" is really the fear of others...(that others will ostracize one for pointing out the emperor (god) has no clothes). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVI4kzoZmy0 Proofs for God Destroyed by a Philosophical Atheist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4vi6gRM70&feature=relmfu Agnosticism -- The Incomprehensible Halo... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isk6Tf5JyM4&feature=endscreen
    Paul 4 years 30 weeks ago Page Paul Hein
    We will have to introduce Paul to the gun culture. :-) Anything that is called ".38 caliber" is going to be a revolver, usually shooting ".38 S&W Special" ammunition. A ".380" on the other hand, aka ".380 ACP" is an "automatic" (which is a common but poor name for a pistol) but its actual caliber is .355 inches. Maybe he meant a .380 ACP pistol.
  • eugenedw's picture
    eugenedw 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    And thank you Samarami, for illustrating my point a second time: if we are going to insist that anarchism has to be atheistic, then we are going to alienate who knows how many potential supporters. Personally I couldn't possible care less what other people believe. Without a state to ram their beliefs down my throat, I am safe from their beliefs, and they are safe from mine. That way we can all live in peace.
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago
    I, Pocket Knife
    Web link Westernerd
    My comment (on Independent Institute comments page): "I am not even angry at the TSA employee. I am angry at the TSA." What futility! The “TSA” doesn’t exist. It is a concept — an abstraction. Only employees — functionaries — OF “TSA” (“Your-Tax-Dollars-At-Work”)exist. Your only hope that I see would be to encourage your fellow jack-knives to Abstain from Beans — assuming pocket knives could become eligible “voters”. Not at all impossible the way “votes” are counted these days. http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_abstainfrombeans.htm Sam Samarami | May 5, 2012 | Reply
    Samarami 4 years 30 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    eugenedw: sooner or later you run into a creationist. More astounding than that, eugenedw, is the fact that you will find people here on STR who accept "evolution" whole-hog -- without much question. In my mind that takes considerably more "faith" than the acceptance of creationism. Because virtually all "science" and intellectual blackmail that gives rise to the evolution superstition is funded by thieves of state -- in government ("public" ha ha) universities. But the religion controversy in "libertarianism" is a great divide-and-conquer tactic. On that we will have to agree. Keep 'em fighting over religious crap so they don't have time to expose the illegitimacy of state. Good thinkin'. Sam
  • eugenedw's picture
    eugenedw 4 years 30 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    This article is typical of the shallow and sensational style of reporting one finds all over the media nowadays. It doesn't really tell us a thing about what exactly it is that the Egyptians did. Only that because they may have happened to notice a regular pattern, this means they had to have known the exact inner workings of that pattern as well. It is like claiming that since they knew blocks of marble are heavy, they must have understood Newtonian gravity thousands of years before Isaac himself. What does all of this have to do, I wonder, with striking the root of anything?