Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Mosquito: "...Consider this query: where has anarchy worked? ..... First, what does “worked” mean? Worked for whom? Worked how?..." John Hasnas has what I deem to be the best rather brief treatment of "anarchy" in his "The Obviousness of Anarchy". You can read the PDF version here. I recommend, Glock, that you study the first couple pages, then go back to our old and late friend Harry Browne, before coming back to Hasnas. Hasnas can get intense where Harry was skilled in making the obvious simple and easy for us dull-headed old farts. But Harry rarely used the scary term "anarchy" -- he just spoke of ...Freedom in an Unfree World... Same thing. Sam Sam
    Page Jim Davies
    I believe you will find that that link came from AtlasAikido.
    Glock27 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Things are always easier said than done. My ultimate freedom, I guess, will come when my heart stops beating and my breath ceases. Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
    Glock27 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Greetings Sauverans2, Just posted Bionic Mosquito to my desk top to try and get to. I have so much reading that I am not sure I can even get to all of it. Reading is becoming overwhelming. Thanks for linking.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Truth of that quote was borne out by what I came to dub Constitutional Trolls at But Wouldn't Warlords Take Over? Mises Daily: Thursday, July 07, 2005 by Robert P. Murphy. http://mises.org/daily/1855#idc-cover Constitution Trolls misdirect by attacking anarchy (or personal contracts or whatever) hoping no one will notice that there is The Swiss Model. Which is CERTAINLY not what the US has! Freedom vs Force Why The Failing US and EU Should Follow the Swiss Government Model! http://www.lewrockwell.com/holland/holland14.1.html PS If a Constitution Troll points to the Swiss Model they might perhaps have some credibility. But to do so would make it glaringly obvious that the US system is but a *"Hologram of Liberty"* (See James Royce's book). It is not consent they need (certainly not Unanimous Consent) but the pretense of such and the complicity and sanction of victims (divide and conquer). And as a consequence ALL they know boils down to force, and more force...
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    The above reference links with commentary are in AtlasAikido comments to "But Wouldn't Warlords Take Over"? Mises Daily: Thursday, July 07, 2005 by Robert P. Murphy http://mises.org/daily/1855#idc-cover Recommend using Latest Activity button (as Mises site does not have Strike the Root ease of localizing a post).
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    AH! YOUR FREEDOM Most books dealing with freedom present an involved plan that depends upon the support of other people. These usually urge you to pass the book on to others, sell the idea to a great many people, and gain the support of the public in order to be free. **This isn't that kind of book. If you were holding the only copy of it, and if no one else could read it or accept its conclusions, the ideas would still be useful to you**. [I concur] **We'll be dealing ONLY with your freedom. Whether the ideas would work for others is unimportant; what you have to decide is whether they can work for you**. **You won't have to convince anyone else of anything. Every idea in the book will depend solely upon your own action**. I can assure you that I didn't achieve my freedom through long hours, articulate oratory, or mysterious powers of persuasion. And yet I am free. [Aha] More than for ANY other reason, I'm free because I've chosen to live that way. I've concentrated **upon the things I control, and used that control to remove the restrictions and complications from my life**.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Glock27, But back to Harry. I cannot remember how long it has been but many many years until I started actually using this technique... THE BIG DECISION Throughout this book, we've considered many possibilities and alternatives that can enable you to live a freer life. Now we've finally come to the important question: What do you do about it? The only sensible answer is to eliminate from your life whatever isn't suited to you, acquire the freedom you've craved, and start living your life as you want to live it. The **starting-from-zero technique is an essential means of getting from here to there. If you use your present life as the starting point, you have very little chance of getting what you want—you can find too many justifications for hanging on to each part of your present routine**. You have to go back to zero and start there, asking yourself what you'd do if you weren't involved as you are now. Only in that way can you see a clear, realistic picture of the life that would make you happy. Then you can determine the relevance of each of your present activities.... Atlas
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Bravo Sam! indeed TINA (“There is no alternative”) is a lie forced upon the majority of the world’s population by the oligarchic elites. But it t'aint so. It t'aint so. Thank you Harry Browne for sharing how YOU found freedom in an unfree world! Cheers, Atlas
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Hi Glock27, I look to the UNSEEN power of not no rules but self rule (anarchy. It has not always been legible but the oral is spoken and becoming legible when it needs to. http://bionicmosquito.blogspot.com/2012/03/anarchy-unknown-ideal.html This is NOT even the half of of it...(I will find the links for the following)... Iceland (Still has no State); 90 million do *not vote* in USA; Sagra Model In Russia (200,000 law enforcers jobs taken off market, crime drops significantly, individuals protect themselves, ward off Drug Lord etc); Wenchou Province Model (Anarchic) spreading around the world etc etc. Not to mention the hidden (legible) that is now seeing the light of day...I will post that in my reply to Sam... Best Regards
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Suverans2, Yes indeed! Nice summation. Hmm link works for me.
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    "Everyone who hasn't embraced anarchism is a statist to one degree or another"...~Gary Gibson Minutes after posting my reply I scrolled over to "Dollar Vigilante" and read Gibson's ideas. Interesting take on the same line of thought. Sam
    Page Jim Davies
    And, greetings to you, too, Glock27, You wrote, “every person in the state has an obligation of make any sacrifice necessary for the good of the state”. To clarify that, “every person who is a voluntary member [citizen/subject] of the state has an obligation of make any sacrifice necessary for the good of the state”. If one is a “stranger to the covenant” he is a “stranger...to [its] transaction[s]” and is therefor not “liable for the debt”. “Strangers' are 'Those who are in no way parties to the covenant or transaction, nor bound by it, are said to be strangers to the covenant or transaction. See also Stranger.” Okay, well will. A “Stranger” is “one who in no event resulting from the existing state of affairs can become liable for the debt, and whose property is not charged with the payment thereof and cannot be sold therefor”. (Source: Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1421) Respectfully, Suverans2, Stranger to the Covenant
    Page Jim Davies
    It's called "job security". It all hinges on how one defines "free". If you believe, as Jim Davies apparently does, that you are not free until you are "exercising 100% control of one's own life", then you will most likely never be free. Other people define "free" to mean having enough purchasing-power to do almost anything they want. They don't particularly care if they are groped by men calling themselves 'TSA', or taxed by men calling themselves 'STATE', as long as there is enough left for them to basically do as they please. Still others, like myself, define themselves as "free" when they have dissolved the political bands which have connected them with man-made governments and assumed among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them. Does that mean that we are "exercising 100% control of [our] own life", without interference? Not just no, but hell no; there will always be gangs and bullies in the world trespassing, or attempting to trespass, upon our natural rights, that must be evaded or overcome. One thing it does mean, it means that we are free from membership in the gangs doing the trespassing, and to a few of us that means quite a lot. ____________________________________________________ Why does the link you gave us, after it is already up and one has begun reading it, continually bounce to "Oops! Page Not Found Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found"?
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Atlas, neither you nor I will ever make the "Who's Who" columns. Fer sure, fer sure. But we'll be free. There'll be a few -- even right here on the STR page -- who will argue, "No! You're a slave! You're NOT free!..." and on and on. They might point to the fact that we possess a state-issued drivers license or a social "security" card. Their insinuation will generally be that we MUST join their movement(s) or remain in slavery. Not to be of concern. I see attempts by good friends all over the web on various libertarian forums to "...bring about a free society..." Ain't a-gonna happen. Unless you want to accept my premise that the world ("society") revolves around MY belly-button, not yours. My world. And I am a free, sovereign state -- whether you agree with that statement or not. The summation of my above argument is that YOUR world revolves around YOUR belly-button (you don't have to admit that if you prefer). Knowing that is what keeps me free. I don't have to worry my head over your understanding of my premise(s) of "freedom". My neighbor across the street, Ako, is a "mover and a shaker". He's in Who's Who columns all over this part of the world. He came over and welcomed me to the neighborhood last year after I bought this place. A pleasant, good neighbor. That's the last we've actually visited, except a nod and a wave as I bike by (I'm car-free -- bicycle everywhere -- keeps me out of the nursing home), but I remember his cordiality. Think I'll ever proselytize Ako into any freedom "movement"? Not likely. Possibly, however. By the example I set I MIGHT breach his egocentric, statist armor -- just a tad. I often review Mr Davies' essay, "A Dollar In Peril" from four years back, because that's the paradigm I'd like to perfect. Don't think I'll start with Ako, though. But I will say this: presuming Ako is still "running" for some parasitic or predatory "office" over at the state house ten years from now, I will not have wailed or gnashed my teeth over my failure to have made an anarchist out of the guy. I think that's what you, Atlas, and our old and late friend Harry Browne were trying to get across. Sam. .
    Glock27 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Greetings Sauverans2, Me thinks you have just demonstrated a fact that the U.S. government is a sister to facism(?). My last understanding of facism is that the "state" is the ultimate and every person in the state has an obligation of make any sacrifice necessary for the good of the state. As the years pass I have observed that this tends to be the cognitive perceptions of all legislators regardless of how stupid some are. Enjoyed your comment and I need to keep this aspect in mind because of my obsessive compulsiveness to write to legislators. I expect at some point I will have the CIA, FBI and locals come hammering at my door and drawing me away as a terriost threat. Respectfully, Glock27
    Glock27 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Greetings Atlas, Don't shrug too soon. It appears as if you have or are reading Henry Brownes book "How I found freedom in an unfree world". When I hit that part it exploded in my face regarding all the efforts I have attempted to alter the worlds point-of-view. Sadly though I am compelled to participate, obsessive compulsive. I realize what I do is a useless effort since only about one or two percent of the population votes. That's a guess. My notes to legislators anymore are more heavily into this ideology, they don't own us, they don't own me and they need to begin recognizing this. That is my futile hope at this point in time. Anyway it is certainly a fine book. I owe a great amount of gratitude to Samirami for recommending it to me. Despite the text and its burning issues I have always felt that there would never be an excape from our current system, although [o]bama has certainly made great efforts to change the whole structure and turn us into a third world nation. Evil, I believe ,is part of the Human Condition. Respectfully--
    Glock27 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link Serenity
    In the end I could not tell if this was made up or a fact.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    According to Jim, I and you Dear Reader will NEVER be free until Jim's Burning Issues are satisfied. Nope! THE BURNING-ISSUE TRAP is the belief that there are compelling social issues that require your participation. You can *enslave yourself by assuming* a responsibility to observe, judge, and correct any social problems. For the problems will continue indefinitely. They’ll never be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. The demands upon your time, energy, and money can never cease... Campaigns for social change are excellent examples of the indirect alternative—*working through others to get what you want*. Your success depends on the responses of literally thousands of people. Your control over the situation is minute. *The existence of evil isn’t a claim upon you*. “Evil” will always exist in the world. To accept as a principle that you must fight something because it’s evil is to believe you must fight anything that’s evil. *There’s no end to the number of evils that could command your attention*. Is that all your life is for—to spend it fighting evil? Questions: But you can get a better perspective on the issue if you ask yourself a few questions: http://www.ultimatefreedomquest.com/harry-browne-burning-issues-trap/
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    Bein' "allowed" to blow a reefer would spoil half the high of it. Sam
    Suverans2 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Yes, and the "human health aspects" are going to be much more difficult to document, I fear, because of all the other toxins introduced into our environment thanks to the "chemical revolution". "The majority of the more than 2,000 chemicals that come onto the market every year do not go through even the simplest tests to determine toxicity." (My thanks to Enviro Woman)
  • Melinda L. Secor's picture
    Melinda L. Secor 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    And then you have the human health aspects of GMO. They have been rushed to market without any long-term studies on health effects, and there is mounting evidence that there are, indeed, health effects to be concerned about.
    Suverans2 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    Better be careful, Sam. If evidence can be produced to show that you call yourself a "citizen of the United States", (a.k.a. a 14th Amendment citizen), in order to get benefits/privileges, your parent (parens patriae) may not allow you to smoke marijuana.
    Suverans2 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Good to see someone posting news like this, Melinda L. Secor. As far as 'unintended consequences' -- We ain't seen nothin' yet! This is only the tip of the iceberg, as the saying goes. Thanks “It turns out the widespread use of Roundup has led to the evolution of far-tougher-to-eradicate strains of weeds.” ~ Businessweek Which, of course, will mean the use of MORE herbicides made by...you guessed it, Monsanto, the maker of Roundup. The Wall Street Journal reports that western corn rootworms are developing a resistance to crops genetically engineered with Bt to combat pests. Which, of course, will mean the use of MORE pesticides made by...well, you get the picture. Rodale Institute’s Farming Systems Trial — ongoing for 30 years — has shown that, "Traditional plant breeding and farming methods have increased yields of major grain crops three to four times more than GM varieties despite huge investments of public and private dollars in biotech research."
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    Who'da thunk it? Roll me up another reefer, mates! Vitamin T -- it's good fer me! Sam
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link Anthony Gregory
    But you guys gotta agree on one thing: "democracy" was a stroke of genius for those originating vultures who had organized themselves into states or nations or countries to subjugate the productive and peaceful inhabitants therein. What was plain to them took centuries for their intellectual sycophants to label "Stockholm Syndrome" They could see, for instance, that ordinary, decent, stoic individuals could be led easily to cheer for and participate in bread and circus events called "elections". And that each individual who participates in an election and votes will lend legitimacy to the pathology outlined by Mr. Gregory. Abstain From Beans, lads. That will be one of your few chances to truly make a difference. Sam
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago
    The State of Freedom
    Page tzo
    I've carried a 1921 Morgan silver dollar since before 1950 -- I think I was around 14 when a now long-gone aunt gave it to me. In the late 40's in Texas that silver dollar would buy around 10 gallons of gasoline. Today that same silver dollar (were I to accept an average offer of 35 or so frn's for it) will still buy around 10 gallons of gasoline. The culprit: faith. Faith that predators organized as "government" will not steal. Faith that "Our-Forefathers" were not robbers. Faith in Our-Great-Nation and those perceived rulers who are trying once again to take our children into one of their wars to divert our attention from truth and keep us clapping and cheering and shouting nationalistic songs and slogans. Faith that those smiling, waving gangsters now filling the airways and coliseums in attempt to garner your "vote" this fall will continue to be seen as legitimate stewards of your productive capabilities. Abstain From Beans. Be Free. Sam
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    I wish I had known this when I was a teen. . . I feel so stupid going into the world with an IQ of only 143 - I'm now amazed that I was able to get through Jr High and High School without taking the short bus every day.
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Jim: "The SOA is of huge importance. It makes nonsense of the entire theory and practice of government. Suppression of the SOA is the garbage-in, that leads to the garbage-out of which you can read in today's headlines. If each human being has the right of self-ownership, nobody else does--not voters, not governors, nobody..." Let's not forget "guv-think": Let's say some morning you are walking along a rural New Hampshire road enjoying the peaceful New England tranquility. I pull by you, stop the truck, walk back and say, "Jim! Do you understand I just saved your life?" "What makes you say that, Sam?" "Well, a few seconds ago your life and your safety were strictly in my hands. However, I stuck to 'my' side of the road! Had I swerved just a few feet I could have mowed you down. You'd now be lying dead back there!...Aren't you grateful for my courage and my prudence and my wisdom and my dexterity???..." Let's face it -- that's almost how governmentalists reason. And they move a large number of our neighbors, friends and family members along with them. If liberty's to be, it'll start with me. I am a sovereign state. I attribute a sizable wedge of my liberty to your guidance over the past ten or more years. I mean that. You've written many articles and essays that have had powerful influence in the way I perceive "freedom". I hope you'll never stop writing because you feel rejected by the vast majority who charge you off as "extremist" ("dangerous extremists" is how media try to influence most folks to consider anarchists). Sam.
    Samarami 5 years 45 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Jim: "Now consider the third variety: opinions formed on the basis of one that can't be denied. There are not many of these. The one I like best is the premise “I exist.” Is that deniable? No. If you try to deny it (while applying it to yourself) you will use your power of reasoning to do so. Yet if you truly don't exist – you're just a figment of imagination in the possible mind of some ephemeral entity – then there is neither a “you” nor a “power of reason” in play." But, Jim, you have to consider the Chinese story: "Once I dreamed I was a butterfly -- flying and flitting about, for all intents and purposes a butterfly. Then I awoke, and there I was, myself again. "I'm now not certain whether I was then a man dreaming he was a butterfly, or if I am now a butterfly dreaming he is a man..." Sam (PS: Your essay is good fuel for deep thinkin')
    Mark Davis 5 years 45 weeks ago
    The State of Freedom
    Page tzo
    You are the master tzo!
  • mhstahl's picture
    mhstahl 5 years 45 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    And now I know why I no longer know everything. ;) The "study" is flawed for a whole host of other reasons. For one thing, it's a statistical study done over the course of 40 years with a tiny (1000) sample group from an obscure location(Dunedin, New Zealand.) The article does not provide much more statistical data-such as an R2 or even SD-so that the strength of the correlation(s) can be determined-so one would need to get access to the journal(which is not devoted to psychiatry, biology, medicine, or pharmacology, but is instead 'multi-disciplinary'-another red flag)that it was published in. I had attached a caption to this originally that read something like, "They've studied it, mmmKay? Stop whining when they shoot your dog." that was somehow lost in translation... I really wish the media would stop confusing very limited statistical fishing expeditions designed to bolster a political point like this with actual science-they won't, but it would be nice.
    Suverans2 5 years 46 weeks ago Web link mhstahl
    "...“persistent users” who started as teenagers suffered a drop of eight IQ points at the age of 38, compared to when they were 13." Oh, for cryin' out loud, this test is flawed!! Everyone knows that 13-year-olds know EVERYTHING, so it's bound to be downhill from there.
    Suverans2 5 years 46 weeks ago Web link Anthony Gregory
    "...all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves..." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Glock27 5 years 46 weeks ago Web link Anthony Gregory
    In Gregory's comment about there being no difference and inability to tell how either will react to future events tells me he either missed the facts regarding both or choose to ignore them seems bothersome. If one looks at [o]bamas background and Romney's I believe it is clear as to how each will react to future events. A persons background, history, associations, ideological perspectives and etc., do play a part in how one will react to future events. Each and every person on this site, unique unto himself or herself will react differently to events. That is evidenced by the reactions posted here daily. [o]bama is definitely not a man I would trust and he has demonstrated his untrustworthiness. Romney would not be my perfered but clearly a choice over [o]bama. Regardless of how you feel, I have to believe no one here wants to see our economy collapse and become another Greece, or to be usurped into a totaliarian rule. I will vote. It may be worth nothing, be a waste of time and effort. I guess I would rather have the status quo for the moment until this Nation evolves into something better. I may respect and appreciate Natural Law and Natural Rights, but for the moment no legislator gives a good crap about it and it is worthless under this present system of guiding principles. Why would they want to change it? They loose everything that has evolved over the past 200 plus years, while the people have everything to gain. Why is it that Anthony Gregory cannot see that there is a difference and a uniqueness exceptionalism to each person. I contend that you can see a clear difference between [o]bama and Romney just as you can see the difference between right and wrong. If my thoughts are misguided about this then someone here should take the responsibility to assist me in seeing the error of my fault. I am right until I recognize that I am wrong. PM me with respect.
    Suverans2 5 years 46 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    "I am unable to accept the idea that I should be an obedient subject of a gang of corrupt, unprincipled thugs who pontificate about freedom while enslaving the population." ~ John Pugsley I DO NOT CONSENT TO BE AN OBEDIENT SUBJECT OF A GANG OF CORRUPT, UNPRINCIPLED THUGS WHO PONTIFICATE ABOUT FREEDOM WHILE ENSLAVING THE POPULATION AND I WAIVE ALL MEMBER-ONLY BENEFITS. MY LAW IS THE LAW OF NATURE.
    Jim Davies 5 years 46 weeks ago
    The State of Freedom
    Page tzo
    Fabulous, Tzo! Back in '78, I was a greenhorn. Having just arrived, I really thought this was a free country. Then I had to "queue up" for a tank of gas, and knew something was badly out of whack. I searched high and low; Business Week, Time, Newsweek, NY Times, WSJ... I have an Econ degree but could not make head nor tail of what the experts were saying in explanation. Then the LP placed a full-page ad in one of them, offering a copy of the "Libertarian Review" for July/August 1979. Every word in that magazine made sense. I have it in my hand now, as I type. The real cause of the gas lines was shown there to be just as you say. That got me started. So I owe the excitement of the last three decades to Richard Nixon, who imposed the price cap on oil - and to Jimmy Carter, who raised it. How can I repay them?
    Page Jim Davies
    "The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves." ~ Dresden James "Citizens" are members of a political community who...have...submitted themselves to the dominion of a government... (Herriot v. City of Seattle, 81 Wash.2d 48, 500 P.2d 101, 109) ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 244
    Mark Davis 5 years 46 weeks ago
    WTF, Max?!
    Page Mark Davis
    Paul - Its not like gambling because when you buy a lottery ticket the seller tells you that you could lose your money. When you deposit money in a fractional reserve bank the banker promises you that your money is always available. This is fraud. It may be a matter of semantics that Suverans2 can straighten us out on, but quasi-transparency doesn’t change the fundamental scam of creating money out of thin air. A free-market with competing money scams is an improvement over a monopoly money scam, but it still harms innocents. Free-market counterfeiters are no better than monopoly counterfeiters other than the fact that you can avoid them if there are 100% reserve bankers to do business with. This is, of course, why the bankers set up the monopoly (Fed) to begin with: because they would be put out of business by honest bankers. In addition to the fact that maybe one out of a thousand people really understand fractional reserve banking, there are the people in the economy who will be harmed by the credit money inflation that causes malinvestment booms and busts. And when it comes unraveled everybody in the community suffers. It doesn’t become a scam when a bank run finally reveals it, because it was a scam all along that a lot of people were profiting from. Just because I understand FRB and will take out a loan from people printing money out of thin to get a better terms doesn’t change the basics of the scam, it just makes me one of the scammers getting in on the con.
    Paul 5 years 46 weeks ago
    WTF, Max?!
    Page Mark Davis
    Well, Keiser is a loose cannon. It doesn't take a lot of time to figure that out. Take him for his entertainment value more than anything. As to fractional reserve banking, perhaps I'm mistaken, but in a free society both fractional reserve and full reserve banks will exist. Fractional reserve banking is not fraudulent if the people who use them know what they are getting into, any more than lotteries are fraudulent. It's only when they are covered by central banks (i.e., resources supplied involuntarily by taxpayers) that they become evil.
  • wkmac's picture
    wkmac 5 years 46 weeks ago
    Anarchist’s Progress
    Web link Westernerd
    Absolutely Paul, couldn't agree with you more.
    Paul 5 years 46 weeks ago
    Anarchist’s Progress
    Web link Westernerd
    A wonderful, charming article. Everyone should read it.
    MinGovia
    Page Jim Davies
    "Government is an organization that consists not only of those who are "given the mandate" to assume authority, but also of all the "citizens" who support the imaginary enterprise. The citizen is just as integral a part of the definition of government as is the King, President, Parliament, or whatever other fancy label some of the participating humans choose to affix to themselves. All governments must have citizens in order to exist. If one calls himself a citizen, then he is actively choosing to participate in the government organization." ~ Excerpted from A Theory of Natural Hierarchy and Government by tzo As far as government employees, (which includes "citizens", in my opinion), quitting in large numbers -- "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." ~ Upton Sinclair
    Page Jim Davies
    "No, let's say I have the right to own your life, in whole or in part; you are my slave. But from where did I acquire such a right?" ~ Jim Davies You could only acquire such a right ["just claim"] to my life from my consent, (be it express, implicit or tacit), as the original owner of my life, which, of course, supports the Self Ownership Axiom. And, for the record, Jim Davies, I DO NOT CONSENT. "If each human being has the right of self-ownership, nobody else does--not voters, not governors, nobody." ~ Jim Davies Unless, of course, the original owner, who has the right, [authority via "just claim"], to dispose of his own life as he sees fit, consents to let, or allows, another man, or other men, to have dominion over him. "Citizens" are members of a political community who...have...submitted themselves to the dominion of a government... (Herriot v. City of Seattle, 81 Wash.2d 48, 500 P.2d 101, 109) To submit is "to yield to the will of another", it is an unwillingness to stand up and loudly proclaim, "I DO NOT CONSENT TO BE A MEMBER OF YOUR POLITICAL CORPORATION AND I WAIVE ALL MEMBER-ONLY BENEFITS." This unwillingness to rebut the presumption that one has tacitly consented is nearly always based on the refusal to let go of those "member-only-benefits" inside the "monkey trap" called government; but to admit this, is to accept responsibility for one's own condition, and this is a not a very popular concept. I have had a few men, a small handful, say something to effect of; "What you say makes perfect sense, but I could never do that. I'd lose everything I've worked for." I understand. But keep in mind, "What the servant acquires, he acquires for his master", so you only get to use it at 'his' prerogative." "The ultimate ownership of all property is in the State; individual so-called "ownership" is only by virtue of Government, i.e., law, amounting to mere "user" and use must be in acceptance with law and subordinate to the necessities of the State." ~ U.S. Senate Document No. 43, 73rd Congress, 1st Session (c.1933) (Brown v. Welch supra)
    Mark Davis 5 years 46 weeks ago
    WTF, Max?!
    Page Mark Davis
    The democratic-corporate-state is a three ring circus and the banking elite are the grand masters at the middle of it all. Keiser sounds like he is more of a progressive these days than I previously thought. Stacy Herbert commented on his board that Keiser is so smart that he "figured out" that libertarians are just a bunch of rednecks and crazy Christians who want to set up a theocracy and make Gary North the Pharaoh; or something like that, it’s hard to "figure out" exactly what their agenda is. It certainly isn’t to stand up to the state. But to focus on reining in corporation by further empowering the state is naïve, at best and dangerous at worst.
    Jim Davies 5 years 46 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Doug Casey's is an outstanding example; brilliant mind, successful investor, and yes as you say he enjoys a good measure of liberty. As far as I know he still has to suffer government gropers when traveling, and still pays some tax when he earns or spends his money; to the government in Argentina if not the one in the US. "Feeling free" or even actually becoming less unfree in reality than most folk, is not the same thing as actually _being_ free, namely exercising 100% control of one's own life as is one's absolute human right. The difference between the two kinds of freedom - partial or relative, and total - is explored in "Freedom's Benefits" at http://tolfa.us/ben.htm We do have to wait, but there's no need to stop part way. BTW: learn first. Then help teach.
    Jim Davies 5 years 46 weeks ago
    MinGovia
    Page Jim Davies
    "Anything is possible if the statists are willing to kill enough people." Thanks Paul, you make a strong point. Governments facing ruin cannot be trusted to act rationally to minimize the damage, and they certainly have no interest in preserving life. The example of Hitler comes to mind; in 1945, he ordered that the earth be scorched; happily for Germans, Albert Speer risked his life by disobeying. Even there, though, there was an unusual factor in play: FDR's mad insistence on "absolute surrender." It meant that the Nazis had literally nothing to lose. And it's exceptional. Other recent examples: Russia 1917. Germany 1918. Japan 1945. North Korea 1953 (though that was more a draw than a defeat.) The USA in Vietnam 1975. Iraq 1991 and 2003. The USA in Iraq 2011, and in Afghanistan 2013 (we hope.) In all these cases, once the cause was hopeless the loser "sued for peace" or just walked away, on the best terms he could get. So in the article in the hypothetical case of a minority, statist MA surrounded by free societies, if I'm right and there is no way for a Boston government to win them, I suggest it's unlikely to begin fruitless wars with its neighbors. The case is however hypothetical and IMO highly improbable; I wrote about it only to demonstrate that even if it came about, as some Libertarians think it might, it could not long survive. When the tide of freedom has persuaded a majority of people to scrap government, I can see no way it will stop; the idea of (say) 30% or 20% or 10% at that stage saying "No, we prefer a governed society" is just not going to happen. My "Transition to Liberty" (link at foot of article) has the cover illustration of an avalanche; once government employees quit in large numbers, it will collapse utterly.
  • AtlasAikido's picture
    AtlasAikido 5 years 46 weeks ago
    Page Jim Davies
    Jim Davies is still exhorting us to become teachers and Doug Casey shows us by example how HE became free. http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/wolf-and-lamb
    Glock27 5 years 46 weeks ago Page fmoghul
    Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.ha. Most agreeable. This clearly relates directly to the fairy tale legislators of all ilk. They are all schizophrenic and bi-polar and some living in catatonia. That to me is a perfect thrust. I have had my confrontations with prosecutors and judges...all ego centered demi-gods.
    Glock27 5 years 46 weeks ago Page fmoghul
    Full agreement. Justice is one thing, something the unwashed masses contain a false hope in. Note the most recent supreme court decision that [o]bama care is a legal tax. How in the hell did they derive it was a tax when his people yelped it is not a tax. What dorks. And these individuals are suppose to be smart. Ph-ht. Where Justice is on this blue marble I have absolutely no idea. I really get hung up on the "Human condition with varable constants??". The only justice I get is the justice I deliver...hm-m-m. I believe individuals want the justice they want whether it is just or not. Got enough money and you can, in many cases, buy the justice you want.