Jim Davies 5 days 1 hour ago Page Lawrence Samuels
    What a superb, Churchillian opener!   "Less respect for liberty and truth" than Hillary? - not sure about that. Marginally more, I'd have said. Consider the first paragraph of Jared.
    Mark Davis 1 week 2 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "Find your own little Higgs boson bubble, and make the most of it." Exactly, Alex. It is extremely difficult to remain hopeful that others will seek liberty, much less enlightenment, when so many repeatedly choose security, and willful ignorance, instead. However, liberty will survive and flourish when the existing state system collapses of its own weight and the parasites die along with the host. The remnant survives because of the individuals that retain self-sufficiency, self-responsibility, a sense of family, community and brotherhood that comes voluntarily from within, not imposed by far-away authoritarians. So, the key to human survival is liberty-minded individuals networking among themselves and not going down with the ship of state. The greatest difficulty typically arises when the rats realize the ship is sinking and they begin to scavange among remnant resources forcing hard choices and conflicts of conscience as to who to save and who to let drown.
    Samarami 1 week 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Fully agree, Saul. State has been inculcated almost virtually into the very air we breathe from time immemorial. Nobody -- even those who lived in the place they began calling "the usa" over 200 years ago -- has been capable of shaking "state" from his or her thinking. Not for long, they haven't. It's everywhere. Always has been. Or, has been for a long, long time -- well before my time. "Them good ole' days" were a mirage. One might lament, "...well, if 'the citizenry' had rejected government ('public' ha ha) schooling a hundred or so years ago, 'we' might be free of 'state-ingrained homeostasis' (my new medical term) today!" Not so, I'm 'feared. One of the first articles I read by my friend, Mark Davis, right here at STR, helped me "over the hump" many years ago. In it, Mark first stated a truth that should have been self-evident. But I had to hear it from him, here at STR: "...I suggest that if an individual really wants to be free then they should begin to act free themselves; that is, choose to be free..." Simple stuff. But powerful. And in the same essay Mark showed me the real reason I had abstained from voting in political elections since 1964: "...Working within the system means to become a part of the system. When you go into the voting booth, the only meaningful significance that your action will have is to show that one more person supports the state..." I knew in 1964 I did not want to be involved in "the-political-process" any more. But it took Karl Hess, Harry Browne, and a number of others' books and articles to open my eyes as to why. It seems Mark's essay tilted the glass for me, even though I had been an anarchist "...waiting to happen..." for years. So, keep up the good work. Just because I may not totally agree (yet) with everything you, or Mark, or Jim, or Alex, or mishochu -- or the many, many who seem not to be contributing essays here any more -- does not mean your work is not effective. It merely means the fire has yet to be ignited. A remnant is awaiting your message. Sam
    Jim Davies 1 week 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Excellent, Saul, and because they come from you, an "expert", the suggestions about health care in a free society will carry all the more weight. Then, it's cumulative. A ZGS would deliver better A, better B, better C and so on; and when they see them all add up they begin to ask Yes, maybe, but how could we possibly get all this?   The answer is ready.
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 1 week 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "How can any one possibly know whether he "wants to live in a free society" until he has some fair understanding of what a free society will be like? Robert Higgs's assertion may be quite true, but nobody can "want" something until he knows that it exists, or could exist, and roughly what it's like."  That really is the question now, isn't it? In my own work, I try to stimulate the "demand for freedom" by highlighting ways in which our medical system is so inferior to what we could reasonably expect it to be in a free society. Yet I find that there is a lot of complacency on this topic. People have an attachment to our system which does not seem warranted to me. Now I may not be the world's best salesman or promoter (scratch that, I most emphatically am not). But nonetheless this is most assuredly a tough nut to crack.
    Jim Davies 1 week 6 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Robert Higgs' well-crafted article in EVC is so blatantly false that I suspect he wrote it so as to shake libertarians awake, to stimulate rebuttals. If so, he will have been sorely disappointed by the pathetic response above, here on "Strike the Root." Today I tried to repair the damage in the Zero Government Blog, subtitled Half Full. Santé!
    Alex R. Knight III 2 weeks 21 hours ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Hi again, Sam -- thanks for your thanks.  :-)     I have that LVM book here at home in hard copy.  I need to re-read it sometime soon.
    Samarami 2 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Thanks, Alex, for the contribution of your thoughts in this essay. It's easy to lose sight of the freedom each of us "rugged individualists" (thanks, Ludwig von Mises) at STR have achieved -- naysayers be damned. Not a whole lot most of us can do for the superstition that besets almost all of our neighbors and friends -- even family members -- that often seems to keep the beast at our doorsteps. Was recently reading an old (1972) von Mises piece: "What restricts the individual’s freedom is not other people’s violence or threat of violence, but the physiological structure of his body and the inescapable nature-given scarcity of the factors of production. It is obvious that man’s discretion to shape his fate can never trespass the limits drawn by what are called the laws of nature. "To establish these facts does not amount to a justification of the individual’s freedom from the point of view of any absolute standards or metaphysical notions. It does not express any judgment on the fashionable doctrines of the advocates of totalitarianism, whether “right” or “left.” It does not deal with their assertion that the masses are too stupid and ignorant to know what would serve best their “true” needs and interests and need of a guardian, the government, lest they hurt themselves. Neither does it enter into a scrutiny of the statements that there are supermen available for the office of such guardianship". ~Ludwig von Mises, 1972, “The Anticapitalistic Mentality” (pdf file) Von Mises was perhaps not "anarchist" as most of us today view anarchy; but he was definitely not "statist". He opened the door to much, much liberty and freedom of thought. One of the things my absence from internet service at home has accomplished in my months of rehab has been my review of hundreds -- yea, thousands -- of files, comments, and entire books I had downloaded over a period of years; and never taken the time to peruse thoroughly. This was merely one of many I've taken this opportunity to study in depth. Seems every day for years I would paste and copy into "word" and "pdf" files essays and books and threads of comments to essays; always with the intention of coming back and reading more comprehensively. Then, dozens of downloads later, would forget I had even put them into "read later" files and folders. Included are also many old essays by my would-be (but jocular, for the most part) antagonist and friend, Mr. Davies.
    Samarami 2 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "...you are beyond the reach of reason..." Times like this, Jim, I'm grateful for my "belly-button theory". Sam
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 2 weeks 2 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    But wait - there's more! http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education/health-risks/
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 2 weeks 2 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    "American's have been eating GMO foods for decades and there is not an iota of evidence that GMOs are detrimental to health" I beg to differ. Check out this article: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-foods/genetically-engi... You can always count on Reason to shill for the crony food and science players.
    Jim Davies 2 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Glad anyway, Sam, to see you back; and thanks for sharing the story of your misfortune. I was kidding, of course, about the necessity of "leave", and hope the time remaining to your life is long.   Since you don't agree to something which is objectively obvious (that a slave, however free he feels and rightly should be, is absolutely not free) I fear there's nothing I can do to persuade you. In this respect, you are beyond the reach of reason.
    Samarami 2 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Thanks, mishochu, for the clear and unarguable stance. It is indeed difficult for some (particularly of "manager and controller" bent) to not naysay your and my claims to "...living free as possible..." Once, while using the rattlesnake analogy (pertaining to armed statists), I stated: "...but I am not free to walk barefefoot in the woods...". A friend, once a regular reader and commenter at STR, responded: "...but you ARE free to walk barefoot in the woods..." (another naysayer, I'm 'feard). He was merely pointing up the sad situation that, even with what seem to be iron-clad anarchists on the surface, there often appears a vestige of that "dangerous superstition" referred to by our friend, Larken Rose. Sam
    Samarami 2 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "...To claim that is ridiculous and confusing. Agreed?..." Absolutely not. Why agree to a "ridiculous and confoozing need" to change others in order for me to become "free"??? How you process "freedom" in your own life is your responsibility. I suggest a reread of this: http://antislavery.eserver.org/narratives/narrativeofthelife/narrativeof... And perhaps even this: https://archive.org/details/236222899TheMostDangerousSuperstitionLarkenR... I was hospitalized as the result of an accident for 3rd degree frostbite and hypothermia last year and had to make some temporary changes in living situation. Upon return decided to scuttle internet connection -- for a number of sound reasons (sound to me). Of course I abandoned television nearly 50 years ago, and have been car-free for nearly 10 years now -- reasons of which might not appear sound to others, but I am a free (yes, free) individual. So, now use government ("public" ha ha) library compooter for web connection, and my "allotted time" is running low or I might have additional comments to your assessment of my "freedom". Sorry for the absence (without leave???). Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 2 weeks 5 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    I certainly don't disagree with you.  But you see the basis for my (and Higgs's) skepticism.
  • mishochu's picture
    mishochu 2 weeks 6 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    True. I just can't wait for everyone else to catch up and start believing what I know to be true, I have time preference for living as free as possible, right now (even "where I'm `at`"). I wish those willing and able to do the proper convincing much luck.
    Alex R. Knight III 3 weeks 10 hours ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Another piece in this vein just published by Dr. Robert Higgs:   http://everything-voluntary.com/dont-want-live-free-society
    Alex R. Knight III 3 weeks 14 hours ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Hi mishochu!  Well, understand that not only are you in a fairly limited group of people who have or can reasonably obtain that flexibility, but your ability to stay obscure and avoid direct taxes on your earnings still only gains you some greater freedom from states.  There are still plenty of other taxes you're subjected to -- including, of course, the artificially elevated costs of everything from soup to nuts as a result of governmental intervention (regulations, corporate taxation, inflation, etc.).     Then comes your physicality.  You are still not shielded from the potential actions of the police wherever you may happen to be -- whether at a governmental checkpoint (border, airport), or just out and about living life.   Only total abolition can deliver actual freedom.  Mindset, extra passports, cryptocurrency, etc. all help -- but they are not final answers, unfortunately.
  • mishochu's picture
    mishochu 3 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    May I take a stab at that Alex? I hide, and I hide well. It doesn't hurt to have more than your standard issue blue passport (pitting two, three, or more states against each other is handy when they come calling to claim ownership of some part or all of you). I didn't do this on purpose, I was an immigrant from an early age. I endeavor to earn nothing, as far as the world knows. I'm gainfully unemployed. Decentralization makes it possible.
    Jim Davies 3 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Sam, first of all you went AWOL last year, and I never asked what happened. You fell ill, perhaps? You seem to have recovered, yes?  What was the story, if you'd care to tell it?   Then, I wonder if you'd like to engage in a thought experiment. Imagine that you are an antebellum slave. No doubt about it: you have no choice, but to do what Massa says, for it's that or a whipping. Escape is not an option, for those pious anti-slavery Northerners will catch and send you right back.   So in real reality, you are truly not free. Agreed so far?   Then you hear a visitor (named Rummy Bardroth, perhaps) speak about liberty, as a result of which you come to a Damascus Road epiphany: you realize that by your natural human right, you truly are free and self-owning, and that all those who deny you freedom in practice are usurpers and liars. This discovery has enormous good effect on your self-respect and -esteem, and makes you almost a happy man. You still have to say Yes Massa, but now you can do it with tongue in cheek, treating him like "rattlesnakes -- gingerly, but not fearfully." I don't wish to belittle at all the radical change this realization brings about in you.   But are you really free in practice? Of course you are not. To claim that is ridiculous and confusing. Agreed?
    Samarami 3 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    You and I have had the unique opportunity of hearing that same lament. Only in those days, it was "...given the realities that sobriety sucks!..." Not a lot I can do about "...state aggression..." (although, I have changed my mindset to never state it that way. "States" don't exist. People do. And it's people who "aggress"). I look at that phenomenon with an eye towards the basic economic principle we all know: supply vs demand. As long as there is a demand for "state", there will be a supply. An eager supply, sad to say. And that's why you and I and Mark and Jim and countless others write. And Jim has even created an exhaustive "program" to attempt to interfere with that demand. I salute him for that effort. We'd all like to lower the demand for "state", if at all possible. And, I think that's being done. Slowly, of course, but surely -- and in my lifetime. For example, the "Ron Paul" movement. I wasn't a fan, and I certainly didn't register with the white man and "vote". I even had to disallow my kids from erecting political "Ron Paul" signs on my property. However; many, many quite young and educated men and women were shoved in our direction. The question I had to ask and continue to ponder: how can I help "move them over" from statism to anarchy. Quietly. Without creating disunion. Not to scare them away before they get their feet wet. Few of us were born with anarchist spoons in our mouths. Meanwhile, I must be free. I'm 82. I don't have a lot of time left to lament and worry about how that's going to come about. I've gotta live free. Today. And sustain my sanity while the world appears to be going crazy around me. I have fun treating "authority" in the same manner that I treat rattlesnakes -- gingerly, but not fearfully. They really just want me to treat them as I'd like them to treat me (just leave me alone, please). Of course, I'm old, tough and difficult to chew. It was different in 1977 -- last time I submitted a confession ("...filed a return...") to them mean snakes. But nowadays it's been many years since threatening "form letters" of intimidation have come in the government mailbox. Lots to think about, and I'm glad to see you keep on keepin' on with your essays and your comments. Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 3 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Hi Sam!  I understand what you mean, at least in terms of mindset, but physically, how are we to "live the benefits" given the realities of State aggression?
    Samarami 3 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "...And if these are the conditions under which libertarians labor, where does this leave us, realistically?..." Free. If that's your choice. Frustrated -- urgently expending energy and angst attempting to change all them "...out thar in radio-land" -- if it's not your choice. You choose. You live the benefits. Nobody can give that to you. Nobody can take it away. Sam
    Jim Davies 3 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Just in case there are any here who still subscribe to STR's raison d'etre ("The mission of STR is to advance the cause of liberty") I'll remind readers that TOLFA remains the only necessary and sufficient way to cause a free and voluntary society to come about.
    Alex R. Knight III 3 weeks 5 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Let's just say that, perhaps not unlike yourself, I'm highly agnostic about the prospects.  Time will tell.
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 3 weeks 5 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Reading this, I am left with the question "can mankind undergo the kind of awakening that would allow for the wholesale liberalization of society?" I think that is what it would take for people to turn their backs on statism, en masse. I pose it as a question, because I don't know if it can happen, but I wouldn't rule it out either.
    Mark Davis 4 weeks 4 days ago Blog entry Mark Davis
    Thanks, Alex. That Facebook site is not related. Apparently the above link doesn't work directly. Try www.retreatrealty.net Then go to Available Properties then Improved Homesteads and finally Great Prepper Homestead Property near Fontana Lake. Feel free to contact me directly for additional information.
    Alex R. Knight III 5 weeks 1 hour ago Blog entry Mark Davis
    Mark:  The link doesn't show anything.   As a perhaps related aside, there's this Facebook page:   https://www.facebook.com/stayalivebefree/
    Alex R. Knight III 5 weeks 2 days ago Web link strike
    Also of interest:   https://mises.org/blog/millennials-love-free-markets-dont-understand-them
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 5 weeks 3 days ago Web link Serenity
    I should have also mentioned that the problem is not limited to dirty electricity generated at its source. It is also generated by many of the modern "devices" we use. It arises when the devices do things to interrupt the flow of electricity. So part of the solution to these problems is going to involve changes in how technology is designed or utilized. But this is unlikely to happen until there is a greater awareness of the significance of the problem.
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 5 weeks 3 days ago Web link Serenity
    My understanding is that these spikes can be mitigated. They already are, to some degree, so that the electricity does not damage the generating equipment. That said, I am far from an expert on electricity, so I can't offer more of a response here. Milham mentions Sweden during one section of the book. I left it out of my article to keep things brief, but it is a really interesting and important discussion. There has been a paradox noted by economists for several decades: mortality has been increasing during recent recessions, whereas you would expect the opposite to be the case. There is data from Sweden showing that mortality went up during recessions prior to electrification and then the pattern changed after electrification. This strengthens the case that the data that Milham compiled represents causation, not simply correlation. This also resolves the paradox that has long puzzled economists: greater production corresponds to higher exposure to dirty electricity. I would recommend reading Dr. Milham's book, which is short, accessible, and only costs a few dollars on Kindle. He has also done some pretty interesting research subsequent to the publication of his book. For example, he published a really ingenious study which implicates dirty electricity in the obesity epidemic. When you read articles about addressing the obesity crisis, this issue simply is not on anybody's radar. There are links to his recent papers on his website.
    Jim Davies 5 weeks 3 days ago Web link Serenity
    In your article, Saul, you mention Mr Milham's finding that health has been significantly impacted by spikes in high-voltage electricity. Are such spikes unavoidable in electrical grids?   If so, it's curious that Sweden, a country in which electrification took place faster and several decades earlier than perhaps any other, has a life expectancy four years longer than the USA. It also has had socialized medicine since 1955. Correlation, of course, does not prove causation.
    Jim Davies 5 weeks 3 days ago Web link Serenity
    Sorry - reposted as a reply.
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 5 weeks 4 days ago Web link Serenity
    "Might you agree, though, that licensure inhibits improvement in health, rather than absolutely decreasing it?" I do not think that such a statement is true in all cases. There have been numerous instances of medical practice regressing and I think that a lot of them are due to the existence of a medical cartel which was promoting its own interests at the expense of patients' health. It is difficult to draw conclusions about the relationship between life expectancies and the performance of the health care system, because there are many other factors which have a bearing, and frequently a decisive one. The primary reason for the large increase in life expectancy during the 20th century for the U.S. was the decline in mortality from infectious disease. And that decline is largely attributable to improvements in sanitation. Life expectancy is also affected by levels of prosperity, which have generally increased since 1900. I recently wrote this article which discusses life expectancy, among other things, and you may find it to be of interest. https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/05/d-saul-weiner/diseases-of-civilization/
    Jim Davies 5 weeks 5 days ago Web link Serenity
    Might you agree, though, that licensure inhibits improvement in health, rather than absolutely decreasing it?   I looked at this article about life expectancy at birth, and saw that during the 20th Century it rose by 30 years. That's not trivial, and no doubt results from giant leaps in medical science.   It also says that recently, the statistic has fallen slightly. Perhaps that results from a mounting congestion of the health-care delivery system. However it notes that some other countries show a longer life expectancy, including France, Iceland, Italy, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland (at 83 each, vs. 79 for the US.) Most of those countries have a system even more tightly controlled by government than we do.   So, do these figures support your conclusion?  If not, there are still powerful arguments against licensure: that freedom of choice is even more important than health, and that price is a vital part of the choosing.
  • Serenity's picture
    Serenity 5 weeks 6 days ago Web link Serenity
    That is absolutely true. Licensing is about restricting knowledge and information. Restricting the trade to a select few determined by the State and its Institutions. Elimination of liberty. not the enhancement. people die at a rate that should be alarming but for reason it is ignored. Thousands of people every year die at the hands of the medical establishment and the legal drug industry. This isn't about protection. it is about elimination of choice. Taking away people's ability to decide for themselves. Today, In fact , people are forced to use ''Licensed'' Doctors. The procedures those Licensed professionals decide upon are frequently forced on their willing victims at the point of a gun.  Rarely do these professionals cure a disease or illness. They don't make money with healthy people. They need a sick people to 'treat'. Licensing gives them the legal right to do this to people. Licensing has eliminated health by destroying choice and giving power to people who should never have it.
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 5 weeks 6 days ago Web link Serenity
    Not sure why the people protesting occupational licensing give a pass to the doctors, in the name of "health and safety". Medical licensing has made the practice of medicine far more dangerous than it would otherwise have been. Not to mention, far more expensive.
  • James Clayton's picture
    James Clayton 6 weeks 2 days ago
    Fear
    Paul, Fear is one way that your Rulers can obtain the consent of their subjects, but consent can be more effectively engineered and/or purchased; and perhaps it shouldn't even be called consent if it has been obtained through intimidation or deception.
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 6 weeks 4 days ago Web link A. Magnus
    What a coincidence - I consider drones over my home to be "enemy combatants" to be destroyed on sight.
    Jim Davies 6 weeks 4 days ago
    Fear
    Larken's book is magnificent, and as you may have noticed, I selected it for recommendation on almost every page of the QuitGov site. But to suggest that he is so complacent as  "not to spend time or angst in attempt to change others" is a serious misrepresentation. Why do you suppose he wrote the book?   Having become convinced that government is a dangerous superstition, it is clearly of paramount importance to end its miserable existence at the earliest opportunity. Otherwise, it will certainly destroy us, or our children and theirs. I love my family, so want to terminate it A.S.A.P.   At the end of my Blog today, I asked this question, which seems appropriate here: "Some say [that] cannot be done, the task is impossible, or that it will take centuries. To those, I pose the question 'What, then, are you doing here, wasting your time on an impossible dream?'"
    Samarami 6 weeks 4 days ago Web link A. Magnus
    And why, pray tell, would politicians NOT follow the money??? https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s Sam
    Jim Davies 6 weeks 5 days ago
    Fear
    Another fine article, Paul. Fear is certainly how today's rulers gain "consent", but back when the FedGov began was there not a different factor in play: deceit?   What I mean is that the 39 lawyers and politicians who set things in motion fooled the people into thinking that this new country would be run by representatives of the people themselves. Hence the opening words, "We the people..." Hence their echo today, the oft-heard "We are the government."   Reality was quite different, especially if one accepts my theme in 1789 - that from the get-go, it was always planned that ultimate power would reside in the judiciary.
    Samarami 6 weeks 5 days ago
    Fear
    Nice essay, Paul! Have just finished a private "edit" of Larken Rose's "The Most Dangerous Superstition" (the downloadable text version was ridden through with errors, and I found myself changing some wording -- copy for my own use only). Rose once again has reinforced my ongoing mantra that I can be free. Here. Today. Where I'm "at". I'm convinced that many "libertarians" will not agree with that, pointing to the slave-like conditions you outline. But, in my book, that's the challenge for the men and women of freedom. To sidestep and circumnavigate the beast and remain free in the process. Not to spend time or angst in attempt to change others. Once on these forums I had an interesting interchange with our old friend, Suverans (now disappeared from STR I think -- at least haven't seen any comments from him). I had made the above declaration, referring to myself as a "sovereign state". I had made an analogy of the rattlesnake -- that, in order for me to be free I do not need to rid the woods of snakes, but I need to wear tall boots and heavy gloves to the woods and be careful where I sit and/or reach (was bitten as a young man -- the doc declared me "immune for life" from snakebite; which I still doubt). I commented, "I am not free to walk barefoot in the woods!" So, Suverans responded (in part): "no, Sam! You ARE free to walk barefoot in the woods!..." And, with that, he exposed the soft underbelly of many, many "libertarians" -- that, somehow, someway, we only attain "freedom" at the behest of the white man. That he must be "dissed" or "changed" or "outed" in order for me to be free. Larken ascertains that any of us can be free by simply exorcising that dangerous superstition called "authority". Sam
  • Darkcrusade's picture
    Darkcrusade 7 weeks 3 days ago Web link Don Stacy
    Cops have always been robbers they are paid from stolen monies.
  • Darkcrusade's picture
    Darkcrusade 7 weeks 3 days ago Web link Westernerd
    http://www.suijurisforum.com/american-jubilee-that-wasn-t-t632.html SHAYS> In April and May of 1787 star chamber "courts" tried captured Shays insurgents. Among these, John Bly and Charles Rose were hung "Whenever any encroachments are made either upon the liberties or the properties of the people, if redress cannot be had without, it is virtue in them to disturb government." In some cases the very act of resistance is so significant it is itself an achievement. By fighting the tyranny emanating from within, the farmers of western Massachusetts confirmed their ancient heritage of unending struggle for freedom.
    Alex R. Knight III 7 weeks 6 days ago
    Demand and Supply
    Page Alex R. Knight III
    Interesting!  That's cool you're a welder.  You may have read my previous piece here?  :-)   http://strike-the-root.com/light-metal-shadow-freedom-of-welding
  • newjerusalemtimes's picture
    newjerusalemtimes 8 weeks 8 hours ago
    Demand and Supply
    Page Alex R. Knight III
    Yeah, I've argued recently at a prominent welding forum, which is slanted toward a mercantilist attitude, that a North American importer (Everlast) of Asian welding units, and the Asian producer itself, is "anticipating" market demand with a sort of Black Swan event in the welder market for a multi-function MIG, Stick, and AC/DC TIG unit to be released in the next 30 days. There hasn't been one before. Miller came close with an AC/DC TIG unit (the inverter Syncrowave 210) that does MIG only via a spool gun, but at more than $3000, when delivered and outfitted for that. The Everlast All-In-One 221Sti unit will be about $2000 or more, delivered, tax-free, outside the Alta California taxing zone. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?651371-Sensational-New-All-In-One-M... http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?703381-Everlast-221-rumors-Everlast...
  • Darkcrusade's picture
    Darkcrusade 8 weeks 5 days ago
    A Moral Compass
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtgKRpjVXSg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqySz8Ihho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasiov0ytEc
    Jim Davies 8 weeks 6 days ago
    Ode to Japan
    Page Mark Davis
    In the center of the bottom row on this page, there's a link to Larken's magnificent book. Well said, Sam.
    Samarami 8 weeks 6 days ago
    Ode to Japan
    Page Mark Davis
    Having been enslaved in my youth by a group of psychopaths hiding under the gigantic superstition called "government" (the religious doctrine: "drafted into US Army"), I've spent 70+ years coming out from under the xenophobia that besets youngsters when so directed by groups of "leaders" who make up the military religion. Therefore, I've refrained from comment on Mark's nice essay regarding the strip of islands they're calling "Japan". I don't know what to say. Mark is the only member of STR I've had the pleasure of meeting in person -- in an all-too-brief breakfast we shared in April of this year. Mark invested that couple of hours in face of a 500+ round-trip business venture he needed to complete the same day. I look to Mark as a genuine leader. I feel deeply honored at his willingness to cut into that grueling schedule to meet and become acquainted with me. Too often I think it's tempting for "libertarians" to overlook the dichotomy between ordinary folks going about their daily activities, and that group of lunatics who proclaim to be "leaders" to those folks. And, sadly, long as there is a demand for "security" there will be a supply of psychopaths to make security seem viable. That's why I've become so adamant about use of language. I never say "...Japan went to war with Korea...", etc etc. I believe what Mark said in an essay some ten years ago: "...if you're going to be free, you need to start acting free..." (don't have his exact words with me at the moment). Japan doesn't exist. People exist. Japan has never attacked Korea. I strongly suggest a reread of "The Most Dangerous Superstition". I'm at the library compooter and don't have a link to the free pdf and/or text version(s) available to anybody who googles 'em. Larken Rose slays the dragon in the first 20 or 25 pages, then spends the next 100 or so beating him to a pulp; but it's worth examining again. Sam