• emartin's picture
    emartin 5 hours 42 min ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    As someone who is still intact I have to say that if someone were to try to take my foreskin, I would try to kill them.
  • Kevin M. Patten's picture
    Kevin M. Patten 23 hours 23 sec ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    "Pederast" Try to find another intactivist who hasnt heard the line: "but I need my baby's penis to look good." - Or, "so that girls like him in the future." If you can think of something more perverted than that, let me know. Otherwise, the charge of pederasty is absolutely the other way around. And once you've heard it a hundred fucking times, its gets under your skin and it doesnt leave.  To hell with my own story then, you said NOTHING about Chase. Are you defending the State and a psychpathic father that are both trying to amputate a part of a little boy's genitals, even though he's repeatedly said no??? But I'm at a disadvantage though: there's no way this procedure is correct in this day and age. And therefore all the primitive thinking people of the world can point at me and accuse me of being on some highhorse, without ever addressing the content, which at least there was much more of in this essay than in the last one I wrote. Guess eighty percent of the world should start circumcising their infants to prevent them from ending up in a wheelchair. Makes sense. If you're a lunatic. Sorry to hurt your feelings, Mr. Draco. You'll just have to deal with it. And I wont make apologies for fighting against what I believe to be so very, very immoral and outdated.  "Get an education" Fuck you. Get a conscience.
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 1 day 19 min ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    "About the risks of psychological trauma and sexual dysfunction." Minuscule to none at all, unless you're a professional victim - then, like every other fake outrage, it's insane and incredible. The practice came about in parts of the world where there are great deserts and little water - sand under the foreskin isn't what could be called pleasant, and people who waste too much of their precious drinking water on washing sand out of their dick don't live long. Of course, people who leave the sand until it wears a hole in the skin and the person bleeds out. . . they don't live long, either. I'm not saying that it's for everyone in every instance - not at all. . . but to make it so much more a big deal than it is - that's exactly as retarded as "the disgusting, barbaric rape culture" you made up out of your pederast's twisted imagination. I would tell you to get a fucking education. . . but it would be a waste of time - you'll never seek one because you don't want an education - it's easier to bitch about nonsense if you're a know-nothing. What a self-righteous prick. No wonder your babymama doesn't like you.
    Samarami 1 day 21 hours ago
    State of Civilization
    Interesting essay coming from you, Paul. Funny when you mention it. I find myself in "...those twilight years..." (as spoken by the octogenarians of my vintage), but not depressed. In fact, I look at myself as being advantaged -- far beyond the privileges of most. Why? Primarily because I've invested the last third of my life to becoming free, that's why. I'm a sovereign state. And the state of my state is not bad, as states of states go. Whenever I traipse out into my neighboring Occupied State I see that the huge elephant down at the end of the block has not moved, and I have to bike around him (or her -- haven't decided the gender of the beast yet), as usual. I used to think that perhaps I should try to get some of the neighbors together to move the elephant -- a genuine nuisance, since it sits in the way of everything, and constantly must be side-stepped and navigated around -- but I think many of them hesitant to agitate their Senator, who is my good neighbor across the street. He is beholden to the beast, of course. It seems not that long ago that I would have joined the chorus of folks wailing and lamenting over the fact that "our" high school students "...why, they don't even know the name of 'our' senator..." Now I see that as a badge of high intelligence -- especially those who have progressed beyond the Ron Paul phenomenon, and who understand that their "senators" and their "representatives" and their "presidents" are those who maintain the rotation of the earth on its axis, some of whom sit on the Committee for Photosynthesis, etc. I'm a little sad as I sit here typing, because most of those with grit and spirit, who would have challenged my "wild assertion" (of being a sovereign state), have moved on -- left STR for (I presume) "...more fertile pastures..." I see some of them at other sites. Glad to see you hanging in here, Paul, and pounding out your thoughts in your good essays to share with us. Sam
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 1 day 21 hours ago Web link A. Magnus
    Facebook is evil but social networking can be a highly useful tool. Join tsu, a rapidly growing social network that shares ad revenue with users. Lots of social networks have attempted to compete with facebook's near-monopoly on social media, but they've all failed to gain traction in terms of having enough people on there to be really useful as a social networking tool. What else can possibly overcome facebook's social inertia other than a positive feedback loop that pays people to join, invite their friends, create and share content? It's pseudo-invite-only right now, so basically you need to pick an existing user and input their name when tsu asks who invited you. Whoever you input gets credit for inviting you, which adds up, so if you don't know me and so don't want to give me credit you can pick among any number of alternative users to join up. Here's mine (but if I seem unethical or untrustworthy, don't participate in indirectly funding me by using me as your invite): tsu.co/evanlpierce Here's who invited me (I support paul's goals of world domination gardening and so don't mind helping to indirectly fund him): tsu.co/paulwheaton Here's a charity (I don't know much about this charity but they seem nice and I think it's an option): tsu.co/charitywater I bet you could probably google some other users who you liked more and use them as your invites. It's growing pretty fast. Invite all your friends and together we can obsoletize facebook. Today facebook, tomorrow the state. :)
    Paul 2 days 1 hour ago
    State of Civilization
    Paul, have you armed yourself yet? With something serious, like a battle rifle? It's not the end-all and be-all of course, but it is the best way to ban fear that exists (in my opinion).
    Samarami 2 days 3 hours ago
    Xenophobes Bore Me
    Page Paul Bonneau
    The science of rulership has apparently included that incestuous relationship between psychopaths of state and lunatics of religion from the beginning of recorded history. In fact the earliest records are religious records. The progenitor of "science" was highly religious. What has rather recently been labeled "Stockholm Syndrome" is soundly collectivist, and has apparently been around since the first human beings drew breath. But state media are duty-bound to present it as if it were "discovered" after an incident in 1973, and only affects those who form an allegiance with non-state bandits (around 8% of folks, according to the Wikipedia article). Divide-and-conquer is, indeed, the battle plan for excellent rulership. Good essay, Paul. Sam
    Samarami 2 days 21 hours ago Web link Emmett Harris
    I agree with Paul -- if you're going to carry, carry. That might mean having to procure your piece on the black market. Good for you. I support "the black market" wherever and whenever I can. I foresee a time in the (I suspect) near future when virtually all markets will become "black". It's called "TEOTMSAWKI" for those cyber-savvy individuals. The reported incident occurred at Florida State (which is doomed anyway). The "lawmakers" should come take a look at our school prior to the big debate. Our students bring guns to school whenever they wish. Of course we're a homeschool family. Sam
    Samarami 2 days 23 hours ago Web link Emmett Harris
    Paul: "...'Our' judges are all impartial, aren't they?..." Don't know how many "judges" you have, Paul. I have One -- Who is Impartial as I understand it. I haven't been "judged" yet as far as I can tell. I should be in a position to tell you more indisputably in 30 years or so. Or so I'm told. I don't know that for certain. I'm a skeptic when it comes to religious and/or "scientific" proclamations. I had a judge once. He diagnosed me as "pathological nonconformist" (as he sentenced me to 30 days in jail for drunk & disorderly, the rat). Later he asked me to be his AA sponsor. I did that until he died several years ago now. We often laughed that I never asked him to retract his sentencing statement -- I think he stood solidly behind it until the end. What comes around, goes around. Sam
    Samarami 2 days 23 hours ago Web link Government Deni...
    Thanks, Mark. And I truly appreciate the inspiration you've been to me over the years -- and to the Hale Bobbers (or what's left of 'em since they moved over to "facebook"). Sam
    Paul 3 days 2 hours ago Web link Emmett Harris
    Kleck responds: https://www.saf.org/journal/11/kleckfinal.htm Of course one can guess what exposure Kleck's work has in the organs of the Ministry of Propaganda, compared with Hemenway's. The only problem with Kleck's approach, that I can see, is that it is utilitarianism. People should carry guns, if they please, no matter what the Constitutions, or the law, or the research says about it.
    Paul 3 days 4 hours ago Web link Emmett Harris
    Laws are for peons, not the ruling class. Oh, sorry, I forgot that this privilege is supposed to buy judicial "impartiality". Our judges are all impartial, aren't they?
    Mark Davis 3 days 8 hours ago Web link Government Deni...
    I hear you Sam and agree with you about the whining, but can't really offer any actionable solutions as an alternative.  I can only promote peaceful patience and deliberate preparation for the state's inevitable implosion.  I appreciate your diligence and energy.
    Samarami 4 days 49 min ago Web link Government Deni...
    Feel like I'm whispering to myself any more whenever I visit STR. But that's probably just as well. Because I'm getting bored to tears of "libertarian" whiners like Tom Dispatch wailing and gnashing teeth over malfeasance of "the government". I truly believe those types simply cannot see "the government" as a mindless abstraction, a group of psychopaths, who are simply acting out their indoctrinations. "...More tax dollars consumed, more intrusions in our lives, the further militarization of the country, the dispatching of some part of the U.S. military to yet another country, the enshrining of war or war-like actions as the option of choice -- this, by now, is a way of life. These days, the only headlines out of Washington that should surprise us would have “narrowing” or “less,” not “broadening” or “more,” in them..." And what, dear friend, would one expect from a "District of Collectivism"? The whining and nagging is simply affirmation of the lunatics of state's proclaimed "jurisdiction" -- same as political "voting". I'd better get back on my bike and shut up -- beautiful "January thaw" in this barren north country. Sam
    Samarami 6 days 20 hours ago Page Tim Hartnett
    From "Protection/Submission": Want protection? Protect yourself and your own, or join vigilance committees to do the same thing, or submit. Those are your only choices. I tend to steer clear of vigilance "committees" -- generally all "committees" for that matter. I ain't about to "submit" (voluntarily). I agree totally with your two essays -- and Joe Sobran's "Reluctant Anarchist". It's sad that Sobran's life was cut short before he could totally assimilate anarchy. He was on his way. I am a sovereign state. And yes, those psychopaths hiding under the guise of "government" merely engage in protection rackets, held together by obfuscation. They rely solely upon a phenomenon well known to psychopaths, but only recently labelled "Stockholm syndrome". "Voluntary Compliance". The khans, forerunners to "Our-Founding-Fathers", understood well the terror and fear villagers had of the Huns and nomadic hordes. So it was relatively easy for them to begin the process of setting up what we later called the "family of nations". A major stroke of genius was "democracy" -- the ruse that the masses could actually be above the overseers "elected" (appointed, for those of us who under the reality of the political process) from among them. That those senators and legislators and ministers and presidents would become subservient to "We-The-People". The jive of "terrorism" is particularly humorous to those of us who see through all the dots. How "9-1-1" was actually pulled off is something none of us will ever really know. But, as you infer, "uneasy rides the head that wears the crown". Even totally disarmed (complete "gun control"), the hoi polloi present an ever-present risk. What if all of us become non-compliant at the same time? So, from that point of view, my use of the phrase "monopoly upon violence" fails. Because those presumably "in charge" must constantly keep the critical mass happy -- even those in max-lockup. The majority must always be persuaded to "pledge allegiance to the flag", to be "law-abiding-citizens". Most of our contentions here and at other anarchist forums are disagreements over definition. I've observed for many years that the only legitimate governing unit is the family unit. All others are interlopers. There is no such thing as "jurisdiction" that I don't voluntarily hand to those proclaiming such. Of course I always believe a man with a loaded gun. Sam
    Paul 1 week 4 hours ago Page Tim Hartnett
    "Theirs is a monopoly upon violence." Sam, I will pick one nit with you here. See my article, "*What* Monopoly on Force?": http://ncc-1776.org/tle2013/tle707-20130203-12.html I agree "it's in the cards". Perhaps you've seen my other article, "Protection Implies Submission": http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2010/tle564-20100404-04.html As to the original article, I couldn't agree more. This point however, got my attention: "No decent person can begrudge the police their grieving anger when two innocent ones get slaughtered over controversies they had no control of." Are there any innocent police, after all? I guess I don't see it, because the occupation of police work is inherently objectionable. Perhaps that means I am not a decent person.
    Paul 1 week 4 hours ago
    'Tis Folly to Be Wise
    I guess I missed the cranberry scare. A good thing, because I eat a lot of cranberries. Mencken had the appropriate remedy for this problem: "Here (in America) the daily panorama of human existence, of private and communal folly, the unending procession of governmental extortions and chicaneries, of commercial brigandages and throat slittings, of theological buffoneeries, of aesthetic ribaldries, of legal swindles and harlotries, of miscellaneous rogueries, villanies, imbecilities, grotesqueries, and extravagances is so inordinately gross and preposterous, so perfectly brought up to the highest conceivable amperage, so steadily enriched with an almost fabulous daring and originality, that only a person born with a petrified diaphram can fail to laugh himself to sleep every night and wake up with all the eager, unflagging expectation of a Sunday-School superintendent touring the Paris peep-shows." Things will go on as they have been going, until they make a head-on collision with reality. In the meantime, get some entertainment out of it.
    Samarami 1 week 6 days ago Page Tim Hartnett
    This bears repeating: most tend to ask the wrong questions, thus expect impossible solutions to what appear to be "problems". As if the white man's "legal system" could be improved if they'd just somehow straighten out their acts. And, of course, we on the street have little contact with a power elite who arrange bread-and-circus events ("elections"). All we see is the egregious grunts on the street with state costumes and tin badges which are supposed to convey "jurisdiction" to the unwashed masses. Due to this "jurisdiction" those lunatics seldom go up for any real punishment for murder and mayhem. Because if, for example, you're in MS and happen to be black the psychopaths have a case if they say they have a case -- no matter the law or the charge or the evidence. Theirs is a monopoly upon violence. They make laws, enforce laws, prosecute laws, hire prosecutors, license "defense" attorneys, pay "judges", build jails, contract jails to private entities, employ and pay "wardens", employ and pay guards, employ and pay "parole officers". All with stolen resources. Good work if you can get it. So I don't spend time wailing or gnashing teeth over monopoly "police" misdoings. It's in the cards. Try to stay out of their way -- and never, never speak to one of them. Sam
    Samarami 2 weeks 3 hours ago
    Economics for Dummies
    This was written almost six months ago. I was still in the trucking business (Retired August 8th) and apparently let it slip by me. Since it is one of Paul's usual excellent articles I'll make a late comment -- not that folks appear to be standing in line here at STR to make comments these days. In fact, I'm truly surprised that nobody -- nobody -- took the time to congratulate Paul and make remarks on another exceptional essay. It's a good commentary on "economics". For years I taught in the field of social science, and remember at times experiencing eerie feelings that I was teaching trifles when there were important things for college kids to discover. Only now do I grasp that "social science" is truly oxymoronic in nature -- pitiful tripe engineered to make certain that none of the undergrads would ask politically incorrect questions once they transitioned to the workplace from academe. Appear to be all-knowing, sound erudite, and shut up. The essence of central planning and entry level management. I had a lot more to say about this. But for now I'll head back into my cave. Nice article, Paul. Sam
    Paul 2 weeks 1 day ago Web link Westernerd
    See also http://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/01/paul-craig-roberts/false-flag/
    KenK 2 weeks 1 day ago Web link A. Magnus
    If the rule of law wasn't so completely elapsed I'd celebrate this. Federal snoops will do whatever the hell they want, and never mind whatever Minnesotans may want. We all know it too.
    Samarami 2 weeks 2 days ago Web link Emmett Harris
    I'll withhold my "vote" on the good cop/bad cop debate until the folks over at FEE provide an ancillary debate: "Good Monopolies Do Exist/There Are No Good Monopolies". As kids in government ("public" ha ha) schools, we were taught that monopolies are bad, that they make the fat-cats rich. "We" need government regulation and "anti-trust" laws to keep the rich from becoming super-rich. Many years later I came to see what should have been obvious at age 5: that tripe was taught by psychopaths who make up the most egregious monopoly on earth (and in the history of the earth). Monopoly cannot occur in a free marketplace. "Fat-cats" can only be made rich through "regulation" by those same lunatics hiding under the umbrella called "government" -- the very folks who provided the curriculum and forced us to attend their "schools" (and/or "schools" regulated by them) under threat of violence. Then taught us monopolies are bad. Think I'll head back to my cave now. Sam
    Samarami 2 weeks 3 days ago Web link Emmett Harris
    As long as the term "policy makers" exists in the vocabulary of the hoi polloi, I submit there will be no "joy" in "flation" -- only "mo-flation". Unravel that while, as Paul Hein might suggest, you dwell in your cave. Sam
    Samarami 2 weeks 3 days ago
    'Tis Folly to Be Wise
    "...it’s the people outside the cave who, in blissful ignorance, mistake shadows for reality..." Your essay, Paul, prompted me to pull out my copy of "The Driver" (Garrett), and his vivid description of the Easter parade: "...past the blacksmith shop, past the sandstone quarry, past the little house where the woman was who waved her apron with one hand and wiped her eyes with the other, out upon the Easting Highway toward Washington, with the Easter chimes behind them. And for what purpose? Merely this: to demand from Congress a law by which unlimited prosperity and human happiness might be established on earth..." Your essay aptly portrays how eerie it is to creep outside the cave and try to be a part of the unwashed masses long enough to procure sustenance -- then return to the sanity of the cave. The enormity of the truth is incredible. Good work, Paul. Sam
  • calinb's picture
    calinb 2 weeks 4 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    >It’s true that NAP may be useless in resolving a debate with a socialist, but so is everything else. Yes. I also find it to be nearly impossible to debate a statist who frankly admits "it works for me" (the state). At least such honesty permits one to not waste time on a decidely and likely permanently violent individual. (They commit violence via the proxy of the state.)
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 2 weeks 6 days ago Web link KenK
    I'm a Pagan - what you might call a "Neo Pagan," and what I call a "Pagan Scientist." (yes, it's a sort of play on xtian science, by design) The only thing I bought on Black Friday was a pack of cigs and $5 worth of gas. . . so I spent a whopping $10 that day!
    Samarami 2 weeks 6 days ago Web link KenK
    S/he would have to be a blind soul to not observe the incestuous relationship between psychopathic religious and government leaders. The entire winter solstice season just passed are livid examples of that connection -- year-after-year, century-after-century, from the beginning of recorded history. Keep-them-cards-and-letters-comin'-in. Fight decreased tax and tithe revenue common to the winter doldrums. Keep the hoi polloi chanting and jangling slogenry through it all. Don't be a grinch. Sam
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 3 weeks 1 hour ago Web link KenK
    Regardless of what a person calls themselves - Christian, Hindu, Zoroastrian - if they camp out in front of a store, waiting to buy the latest technological gewgaw - their One True God is. . . Mammon, the God of Stuff . . . and they just need to come to terms with that.
    KenK 3 weeks 4 hours ago
    The Source
    Move to rural northern Michigan with tools and supplies and try to gut it out.
    Mark Davis 4 weeks 2 days ago Page Mark Davis
    "The last thing we want in such an exchange is a frontal attack."  Paul, this essay was not meant to be a frontal attack, if you want to use military terms; it was intended to be a strong defense against a frontal attack.  As my first and last paragraphs should make clear, I was seeking to provide my brothers in arms with inspiration and support to withstand this attack as we are being assaulted from all directions with the weaponized term of "selfishness".  It is the progressives who have mounted a full out attack on libertarians.  Of course, I'm all for using the Socratic Method of asking questions and keeping an open mind, even trying to be "mild mannered" when discussing ideas with misguided souls.  Actually, I do that most of the time as I assume most people are interested in exchanging ideas and seeking the truth.  However, when a self-righteous progressive prick responds to being cornered by these gentle arguments with an irrational attack on their favorite stawman complete with the typical name calling, I advocate responding with a little more vigor.  Perhaps you have the patience of a saint and/or suffer fools better than I, but I don't think timid responses will convert many of the hard-core statists that are attacking us using the tactics you deplore.
    Paul 4 weeks 2 days ago Web link Emmett Harris
    "The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association’s directive for police to respond with at least two patrol cars is also creating a manpower shortage that’s delaying response times to non-emergencies like burglaries or car crashes to as much as four hours, according to the paper." Their response speaks volumes. What a bunch of wusses. I guess the III% guys will not have any problem with them when the Revolution starts.
    Paul 4 weeks 2 days ago
    The Source
    "With country after country wallowing in economic depression, with high unemployment, and endemic business failures, what can people do but turn to a bright, shiny new government to make the whole world better?" Buy a battle rifle and a case or two of ammo, and practice your marksmanship skills.
    Paul 4 weeks 2 days ago Page Mark Davis
    " if you are more comfortable being a cog in the machine..." Somehow I expect that putting it in these terms is not going to convert anyone. While I believe your essay is correct in its main points, I also believe it will not help. The last thing we want in such an exchange is a frontal attack. "The goal of all writing...is to find and communicate the truth about an experience or subject. The purpose is never to make points or win contests; the writer should not attempt to 'sell' himself or herself, and certainly should not be interested in selling ideas to anyone. No writer of deliberate discourse should try to force readers to accept opinions not based on evidence, and the writer should not make an elaborate show of presenting 'both sides' of some presumed argument to readers, while ignoring the facts." -- Dr. Richard Mezo "When, in the course of studying a long series of military campaigns, I first came to perceive the superiority of the indirect over the direct approach, I was looking merely for light upon strategy. With deepened reflection, however I began to realize that the indirect approach had a much wider application - that it was a law of life in all spheres: a truth of philosophy. Its fulfillment was seen to be the key to practical achievement in dealing with any problem where the human factor predominates, and a conflict of wills tends to spring from an underlying concern for interests. In all such cases, the direct assault of new ideas provokes a stubborn resistance, this intensifying the difficulty of producing a change in outlook. Conversion is achieved more easily and rapidly by unsuspected infiltration of a different idea or by an argument that turns the flank of instinctive opposition. The indirect approach is as fundamental to the realm of politics as to the realm of sex. In commerce, the suggestion that there is a bargain to be secured is far more potent than any direct appeal to buy. And in any sphere it is proverbial that the surest way of gaining a superior's acceptance of a new idea is to persuade him that it is his idea! As in war, the aim is to weaken resistance before attempting to overcome it; and the effect is best attained by drawing the other party out of his defenses. This idea of the indirect approach is closely related to all problems of the influence of mind upon mind - the most influential factor in human history. Yet it is hard to reconcile with another lesson: that true conclusions can only be reached, or approached, by pursuing the truth without regard to where it may lead or what its effect may be - on different interests. History bears witness to the vital part that the 'prophets' have played in human progress - which is evidence of the ultimate practical value of expressing unreservedly the truth as one sees it. Yet it also becomes clear that the acceptance and spreading of their vision has always depended on another class of men - 'leaders' who had to be philosophical strategists, striking a compromise between truth and men's receptivity to it. Their effect has often depended as much on their own limitations in perceiving the truth as on their practical wisdom in proclaiming it. The prophets must be stoned; that is their lot, and the test of their self-fulfillment. But a leader who is stoned may merely prove that he has failed in his function through a deficiency of wisdom, or through confusing his function with that of a prophet. Time alone can tell whether the effect of such a sacrifice redeems the apparent failure as a leader that does honor to him as a man. At the least, he avoids the more common fault of leaders - that of sacrificing the truth to expediency without ultimate advantage to the cause. For whoever habitually supresses the truth in the interests of tact will produce a deformity from the womb of his thought. Is there a practical way of combining progress towards the attainment of truth with progress towards its acceptance? A possible solution of the problem is suggested by reflection on strategic principles - which point to the importance of maintaining an object consistently and, also, of pursuing it in a way adapted to circumstances. Opposition to the truth is inevitable, especially if it takes the form of a new idea, but the degree of resistance can be diminished - by giving thought not only to the aim but to the method of the approach. Avoid a frontal assault on a long-established position; instead, seek to turn it by flank movement, so that a more penetrable side is exposed to the thrust of truth. But, in any such indirect approach, take care not to diverge from the truth - for nothing is more fatal to its real advancement than to lapse into untruth. The meaning of these reflections may be made clearer by illustration from one's own experience. Looking back on the stages by which various fresh ideas gained acceptance, it can be seen that the process was eased when they could be presented, not as something radically new, but as the revival in modern terms of a time-honored principle or practice that had been forgotten. This required not deception, but care to trace the connection - since 'there is nothing new under the sun'. A notable example was the way that the opposition to mechanization was diminished by showing that the mobile armored vehicle - the fast moving tank - was fundamentally the heir of the armoured horseman, and thus the natural means of reviving the decisive role which cavalry had played in past ages." -- B.H. Liddel Hart, "Strategy" Bottom line, we should either not debate at all, or ask (embarrassing) questions about the opponent's position - while putting such questions in as mild and unchallenging a format as is possible. Only way I know of to do that in a way that is not patently insincere, is to not be too settled in one's own position, and asking with an open mind. By "not debate at all" I mean explicitly making the point that we hope the opponent is able to get the world he wants (putting it in as unjudgemental terms as possible - that is, terms he would use) while saying we'd rather not be a part of that world ourselves. No need to explain even why we'd rather not. FWIW I know how hard it is to act this way, and frequently fail in that respect myself.
    Samarami 4 weeks 5 days ago Page Mark Davis
    Sorry to be late weighing in, but appears that not many have come crowding in with essays, so yours is still on top. Your usual sound, logical thinking, Mark. There appears to be a chronic and universal fear of total self responsibility. And it's not limited to liberals, or what they're wanting to call "progressives". I always like the way Harry Browne put it: Conservatives vs Liberals Conservatives say government cannot end poverty by force, but they believe government can use force and threats of violence to make people moral. Liberals say government cannot make people moral, but they believe government can use force and threats of violence to end poverty (redistribute wealth). Neither group attempts to explain why government is so clumsy and destructive in one area but a paragon of efficiency and benevolence in the other. ~Harry Browne Liberty A-Z p 35 Sam
    Glen Allport 6 weeks 3 days ago Page Mark Davis
    Terrific essay, Mark! Filled with pithy, quotable truths and with a clear and honest view of things. Nicely done!
  • DP_Thinker's picture
    DP_Thinker 6 weeks 6 days ago Page Mark Davis
    Excellent article! Definitely succinct and thoroughly clear in putting the criticisms of both the socialists and the let's not forget power hungry fascists that seek to rule everyone else. I would also add another quote by Mahatma Gandhi that came to mind as I was reading this "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win." It would seem to me that we are at the attack stage. So even though we may have entered a new chapter in the anti-libertarian mindset, maybe we are closer to victory than we thought!
    Alex R. Knight III 7 weeks 44 min ago Page Mark Davis
    Mark, you've crystallized it here!  Fantastic job!  I just finished having another one of these fruitless debates with a hardline (and now Blocked) socialist on Facebook.  Time to spread this essay far and wide!
    Glock27 7 weeks 4 hours ago
    Just a Bou Bou
    Page Tim Hartnett
    "Acted on wrong information". Most raids I presume are warrant collected via un-vetted caller is who unknown. At a conjecture, I'll guess at least 80% plus. "Jury fails to convict". Well I'll be damned. My ongoing question is shouldn't the judge be the one held liable? He is the one signing the warrant. Since there is no evidence that the current tyrannies are going away anytime soon, I must concede that all LEO's undergo intensive psychological evaluations, and each enforcement agency develop and implement an accountability training which would be ongoing. Will that really solve the problem? "Television isn't helping..." I would like to join in here and say it is, because I think maybe LEO's are watching Jack Bauer and imitating, filling out their fantasies. How many here have, in their very youthful state played "cops and robbers". I am guessing most of us actually wanted the cop role? Fighting back doesn't appear to be a safe method, given that the DOD has been, for years doling out armored cars, bayonets and etc. Enforcement agencies are becoming heavily armed. Who wants to see a tank rolling down their driveway?
    Mark Davis 7 weeks 1 day ago
    Just a Bou Bou
    Page Tim Hartnett
    Paul, I wonder when people will start fighting back?  When they decide that they have nothing to lose because the cops are already so heavy handed, I suppose.
    Glen Allport 7 weeks 1 day ago Page Glen Allport
    Yes, Sam, insanity IS the social norm. I have to say that some of the womens' stories in this sorry Cosby drama are more detailed and (to me) believable than you suggest, but whether he's guilty or not, the tactic you describe works fine -- just as the Reichstag fire "worked" for the Nazis no matter who started the flames and the 9/11 attacks "worked" for the neocons regardless of who the perps were. Keeping the public focused on trivia, minor scandals, and small-time individual criminals does wonders to keep attention off the Big Picture crimes being carried out daily but ignored by the media.
    Glen Allport 7 weeks 1 day ago Page Glen Allport
    You've hit the nail on the head, Paul: an economic crash -- a REAL one, an end-of-the-world sort of crash -- might get people to actually rethink things, although I wonder how many will come to reasonable conclusions. In any case, we've got a crash like that coming right up, apparently. My guess is it's coming in the next few months, or possibly later this evening. Wish I thought the results would be positive.
    Mark Davis 7 weeks 1 day ago Page Shaquille Brisset
    The police in Japan typically don't carry guns and are more like community service officers than law enforcement like we have here.   They are friendly, polite, educated and try to get to know the people in the area that they are working.  Tokyo has millions of people in a small area, yet it has the crime problems of a small rural town in America and you almost never notice cops beause there are so few.  The Japanese have very strong family and neighborhood ties which helps keep crime down and little need for police.  The police are glad to help with lost and found items and give out directions to tourists with little interest in making drug busts or getting macho.  The policy of surveying people twice a year is looked at as a courtesy for getting to know the people in a neighborhood and it is voluntary; you can say "no" you don't want to talk to them and they will smile, thank you and go away.
    Samarami 7 weeks 1 day ago Page Glen Allport
    The "allegations" against Cosby are obvious divide-and-conquer piffle. Cosby has been lampooned and scuttled. Groupies scorned are loose cannons indeed -- and none volunteer as to why they "happened" to be in his room 10 or 15 years ago, or for what. You make good analogies here. Keep the hoi polloi wigging and wagging about alleged sex malfeasance by prominent and successful individuals and they will never waver from their celebration of the most evil, murderous group of psychopaths known to man. Insanity is, without question, the social norm. Sam
    Samarami 7 weeks 1 day ago
    Just a Bou Bou
    Page Tim Hartnett
    Once one sets out to make sense out of monopoly state lunatics, she has succumbed to the insanity that brought it all about in the first place. Abstain from beans, my friends. That might appear to be a small step. But it is a step. Sam
    Samarami 7 weeks 1 day ago Web link A. Magnus
    Of course it's important to note that the "letter" is to the beast that is addicted to war as the bulwark of its "health". Letters to those psychopaths who make up "Bundestags" and "Reichstags" and "Parliments" and "Legislatures" et al., have about the import of a letter to Santa Clause. Sam
    Samarami 7 weeks 2 days ago Page Shaquille Brisset
    Addendum: I referred to the old "This I Believe" radio show, with Ed Murrow and his jangling of the 50's -- on which I cut my eye teeth (and eventually had to exorcise in order to acquire liberty and freedom). But in googling after my comment I see there is one still on the web. I strongly suspect that none of the "beliefs" we've shared with each other here at STR could ever see the light of day on their site. I'm sure they only accept collectivist, teary-eyed pablum that passes for conventional wisdom amongst the unwashed masses -- that which supports, aggrandizes and promotes legitimacy of the chicanery of psychopaths organized under the mantle of "state". But don't let this dissuade you from giving it a try. Sam
    Samarami 7 weeks 2 days ago Page Shaquille Brisset
    First I'd like to welcome you aboard, Shaquille. There have been a number of "gun control" theses, and you present a good one with your own distinct analogy and set of references. STR needs new essay writers (although there are still many willing to "take the heat" and continue to make good presentations). I see with not a little angst many sites that previously stood for true freedom and liberty sort of falling by the wayside. I strongly suspect a part of that might be the push for "NAP" (non-aggression principle), which may have spilled over into a general reluctance on the part of freedom lovers to to "aggress" by submitting comments that might be construed as criticism, or as bringing the substance of an essay into contention. And, without controversial essays and lively debate, sites like STR quickly become fallow and risk demise. I recall a few essays (particularly those with "g-d" or "religion" in the topic) that elicited well over a hundred comments and wrestled on for weeks or even months. More than one packed up his glove and ball and left the playing field -- not a very "libertarian" approach, but happened nonetheless. From the essay: "Obviously by virtue of their occupation, criminals do not obey the law..." Second, I think it is important that one identify in her own mind what "criminal" is. Because (imho) there are free market criminals and there are non-free market criminals. The non-free marketers are the dangerous ones -- the ones most of us find ourselves blogging about. They are those who claim (by their armaments and their increasing willingness to use them on "..their own 'citizens'..") to exclusively possess a substance so many like to refer to as "jurisdiction". And if they have you convinced in your own heart that they indeed possess that magical substance -- that they represent "our" government -- their mission is 95% successful. I submit that the human family is the only legitimate governing unit. You start your essay with that analogy (then relate it to central "authority" as in the u.s. district of collectivism). Unlike most animals, newborn human beings are totally dependent upon adult care and supervision -- hopefully with loving and dedicated Moms and Dads. Although we encounter horror stories of moms or dads who have flung their newborn into a well or manhole, 99% of Moms would never think of withholding their breast from their cherished newborn. We swaddle them and protect them and prevent from danger -- those children we love. When you become a parent you have jurisdiction, whether you like it or not. It is a jurisdiction of love -- the only true and authentic jurisdiction. And that jurisdiction extends on out for a number of years. The Statlers sang a line in one of their songs, "...things get complicated when you get past eighteen..." As a matter of fact, genuine jurisdiction has a way of reversing itself in time. Ever now and again libertarians will come up with the topic for discussion, "...do parents own their children..."? And that, of course, always elicits opinion from all sides. Because, as Thomas Pynchon is credited with having said, "...If they can keep you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." In time -- and in enduring, loving families -- the children ultimately inherit jurisdiction over elderly parents. Two of my daughters (I have seven kids -- five now over 50) have conservatorship over my accounts. That's done in our culture for a number of reasons -- one (and primarily) as a "legal" tactic to keep the white man's fingers away from the cup cakes. So I often badger them, that one nod to the white man and they can have me locked away forever and forever! Genuine jurisdiction, as I said above, is a jurisdiction of love -- and trust. In the world tomorrow -- after human government systems have been bankrupt and skuttled -- jurisdiction and legitimate contracts will be those based upon trust. This I believe. (Anyone here old enough to remember those old "This-I-Believe" radio shows?) Sam
    Paul 7 weeks 2 days ago Page Glen Allport
    "What will it take to get people to re-evaluate the positive views they have been taught since childhood about the most destructive force on this Earth – coercive government, an organization defined by its coercive and thus criminal nature?" An economic crash ought to do it.
    Paul 7 weeks 2 days ago
    Just a Bou Bou
    Page Tim Hartnett
    "Without external pressure, meaning the penitentiary, common and unconnected citizens will continue to be preyed upon with impunity." Well, either that, or just respond to the attacks in kind. I suspect it will end when the economy crashes and people become tired of being preyed on.
    Paul 7 weeks 2 days ago Web link A. Magnus
    Thank you Germans. Heaven help us against the mad beasts in Washington DC. Is it time for a 50-state secession yet? We don't want to wait until the missiles start flying...