Samarami 1 week 2 days ago Page Paul Hein
    "...Thus, a contradiction exists. So which is it; have humans evolved in ways suited to slavery, or to liberty? Or if you prefer to say there's a creator, has that Creator made humans for servitude, or freedom? I'm optimistic, Jim. Perhaps it's due to my "station in life" (in my dotage???). But I see inroads being made -- perhaps not as fast as either of us would like. The "Brexit" and "Trump" phenomenon might serve as examples. Neither meant a lot to me (you wrote at least one essay hoping "Trump" to be victorious over "Clinton" to become grand Wizard of the Klan) -- except that more and more are beginning to question "conventional wisdom". Ron Paul was another. To what extent the questioning will be sustained and enhanced, I have some hope. As I've said so many times, Jim: I fully intend to live to see "state" as we've always lambasted "it" ("it" only exists as a brainless, evil abstraction) buried in its own swill. The question: will a critical mass rid themselves of the superstition that is "authority". "...I believe that, much as Orwell suggested, it is the public's ability to engage in this type of doublethink, to be aware that the law is inherently political in character and yet believe it to be an objective embodiment of justice, that accounts for the amazing degree to which the federal government is able to exert its control over a supposedly free people. I would argue that this ability to maintain the belief that the law is a body of consistent, politically neutral rules that can be objectively applied by judges in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, goes a long way toward explaining citizens' acquiescence in the steady erosion of their fundamental freedoms. To show that this is, in fact, the case, I would like to direct your attention to the fiction which resides at the heart of this incongruity and allows the public to engage in the requisite doublethink without cognitive discomfort: the myth of the rule of law..." A quote from Hasnas' "Myth of Rule of Law" Sam
    Samarami 1 week 2 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    Today's STR on-page quote rather relates my mantra (in better words than mine): "What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it…." ~ Learned Hand Sam
    Samarami 1 week 2 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    Many thanks! Been working from government ("public" ha ha) library, and having to try to paste stuff onto and paste from flash drive. Sam
  • emartin's picture
    emartin 1 week 2 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    The quote is from THE ANATOMY OF SLAVESPEAK @ http://www.mind-trek.com/reports/tl07a.htm
    Samarami 1 week 3 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    http://fair-use.org/randolph-bourne/the-state/ No writer keeps my attention who uses the dangerous collectivist pronoun "we". How does this individual perceive that I ever "learned" such a thing? We've never met, far as I know. Words Now, please stretch your imagination and envisage a world in which nobody takes the words of terrocrats seriously. Terrocrats might say, “We are the government”. Everyone laughs at them and asks, "Government? -- what's that?" And, whatever they reply, they are greeted with more laughter. Then they say, "Our word is law; and you must obey." Everyone just laughs at the terrocrats and asks, "Law? -- what's that?" Again, whatever they reply, they are greeted with more laughter. How much power would terrocrats have in such a world? I don't care how much thought you have to put into this, but it's absolutely vital that you understand that the primary means terrocrats use to subjugate, control, and dominate their victims is words. (the link is dead from whence I copied this quotation) Sam
  • Douglas Herman's picture
    Douglas Herman 1 week 3 days ago Page Douglas Herman
    Well said, Jim. And thanks for your kudois. BTW, I prefer to think of myself as a "Paleo Snowflake" rather than precious snowflake. I do know that here, in Phoenix area, I fear the texting snowflakes far more than oldsters still at the wheel.
    Samarami 1 week 4 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    You've had my "attention" for years, Jim. And my admiration. I'll not enter into disputes with anyone over nit-picking. The price of freedom is too great. As mentioned earlier (might have been on a different thread -- I'm old, absent-minded, and can't always remember what thread I'm on), I've been going over many old essays (including many of yours, but also many of others here on STR -- folks I would like to see come back with more contributions). I often glean concepts today that I had overlooked previously from those same essays. Perhaps because now I'm not distracted by the internet, and can concentrate to the bottom of the topic or subject -- not put it off for a later date. Today I spent time here: http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/MythWeb.htm I had thought I had pretty much absorbed Hasnas' "Myth of the Rule of Law". But after the intro exercises he gets into some real deep anarchist principal. I suppose I had read (perused) the entire thing, but think I might have overlooked the real meat of the topic. I'd urge anyone still looking over essays and comments on STR to give this old essay a second read. Was also looking over a more recent ( https://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/09/lew-rockwell/trial-by-police-state/ couldn't get the link to "fire" for some reason) regarding how (if I choose to refuse to be free) I'm certainly a "victim of the police state", according to Rockwell: "...Today, every single citizen, no matter how free he or she may feel in daily life, is in reality a sitting duck. You can be made to disappear. There is essentially no way you can escape once the feds sweep you into their net. There is no justice. The total states of the past used to pretend to have trial-based convictions. The total state of the present doesn't even bother. It just puts a sack over your head and takes you away..." I'm sure Lew would gleefully agree that I am NOT a sovereign state! Thankfully, I don't need his "agreement". And he can still enjoy my admiration. For most things. The world revolves around my belly-button -- not yours, or Lew's. My world. What makes this thesis so powerful for my sovereignty is the knowledge that your (and Lew's) world(s) revolve around your belly buttons, whether you admit it or not. Therefore, I can admire (and, for the most part agree with) both you and Lew. That ability to admire (even in the heat of dissension at times) enhances my sovereignty. "...it's the only game in town..." Sam
    Jim Davies 1 week 4 days ago Page Douglas Herman
    Well, alas, I must decline. I said the phrase "deserved" copyright, but copyright implies a threat to call down the monstrous power of government on anyone who uses material without permission. Better just to expose the word thief as such, and wait for resulting boycotts.   Not very young, except in heart; but dinosaur, definitely. Keep up the good work.
    Jim Davies 1 week 5 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    Relax! I don't want your money. Just your attention.
    Samarami 1 week 5 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    "...you're a nice guy and I wish you well, but..." I must truly be delusional. 'Cause every time I hear or read this intro, I tend to place my hand firmly over my wallet pocket. Sam
  • Douglas Herman's picture
    Douglas Herman 1 week 5 days ago Page Douglas Herman
    Thanks Jim,    I really appreciate that coming from an old snowflake like you! I mean young dinosaur.    Please do copyright "Entire alphabet of sexes." I would need a snowflake to help me thru the copyright process. Yer fan,   Doug
    Jim Davies 1 week 5 days ago Page Paul Hein
    There's a huge difference, Sam, between dogma and a reasoned presentation or argument. STR has published plenty of the latter, but offhand I can't think of any of the former. Care to name one example?   We do, of course "have the truth" because we anarchists, alone, acknowledge that self-ownership is an axiom. Those who deny it do not have the truth. That's a fact, and stating it as such is not to be dogmatic or arrogant at all.   To be dogmatic would be to state as a fact some conclusion reached without reason or evidence. One example is Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Another example is the unsupported assertion above by Alex Knight that I have a "god complex." I do state many things with due emphasis, but can support them all with reason and evidence.
    Jim Davies 1 week 5 days ago Page Douglas Herman
    Brilliant!   Doug, you keep on getting better. "The self-driving car was invented for snowflakes" explains the otherwise inexplicable. And "the entire alphabet of sexes" is a phrase deserving of a copyright.
    Jim Davies 1 week 5 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    Sam, you're a nice guy and I wish you well; but you are heavily delusional.  Except in one important but very limited sense, you are NOT a "free and sovereign state". None of us are. We are, to one degree or another as Paul Hein recently pointed out, all "prisoners, fugitives, or slaves." That's the reality; and it will stay that way until government disappears. What matters above all is therefore to make it disappear.   The On Line Freedom Academy, with its integral, exponential growth method, is the only feasible way that I've seen so far. (In contrast for example, Alex's "7-point Plan" does not, as above, even come close.) It may well be that someone, some time soon, will produce a better alternative. Bring it on! The more, the merrier!   But until then, it's the only show in town. Use it, or remain in slavery.
    Jim Davies 1 week 5 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    [Re-posted as a Reply. Sorry.]
    Samarami 1 week 5 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    I am, thankfully, a free and sovereign state. It's a good state in which to be. I could, conversely, be in a state of anger, egomania, and belligerence (over the comments and behaviors of those upon whom I have absolutely no control). That's a sad, sad state. Because here we have the opportunity to "..come out from under.." Not that many sites left on the web, I submit. Many (most that I'm aware) have bit-the-dust over anger and angst -- too often generated by one or more "gurus" who won't accept and believe in the tripe of the other guru(s). Seems "Daily Anarchist" followed that dogmatic path to perdition. No place for shemexperts. Sam
    Samarami 1 week 5 days ago Page Paul Hein
    The only thing I see as having been "proven" is that anarchists and libertarians are normal, emotional, egotistical human beings -- just like everyone else. One thing I've learned (hopefully and with some pain), however, is to try always to refrain from "acting out". Not quite as easily done as said, I'm 'feard. Somehow I get the feeling that, with all this new and about-face knowledge, I've become your classic "shmexpert". I have the truth. Nobody else does. And that is that. It's the attitude that drives away the very people I need to augment and sustain my newfound liberty. I'd like to see STR once again become the active, vibrant site for liberty and freedom it once was -- with many dozens of participants, all with their own non-dogmatic (well, some dogmatists, I suspect) essays regarding liberty. Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 1 week 6 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    I can only ask the rest of you:  Can any of you even believe this?  I mean, really.  Get a life.  :-D
    Alex R. Knight III 1 week 6 days ago Page Paul Hein
    And once again, folks, my point is proven for me.  :-D
    Jim Davies 1 week 6 days ago Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    Alex's "7-point Plan" is quite good, as far as it goes. Its location on Everything-Voluntary doesn't seem friendly to commenters (seems one has to belong to Facebook, Google+ or Twitter, and I don't) so I'll review it briefly here.   He grades the seven suggestions in decreasing order of importance, and rightly puts first the spreading of our ideas. Unfortunately he doesn't suggest a systematic way of doing that, even though he is aware of TOLFA, the equal of which I have not yet seen. Merely to mention those ideas unsystematically is of course hopeless; the math cannot possibly work.   But all of them are sound, it's a good list, none of them will hurt and the increasing use of AltCoins will help a lot. Perhaps in some expanded version of his "Plan" Alex will detail how that increase might be promoted. It seems to me a chicken/egg problem; the supermarket won't accept Bitcoins because users are so few, and users are few because there are not many places to spend them.   Item 4 is vital, though it's not identified as such: Avoid Government Employ. Yes, as an ethical choice; but very much more. Only a complete withdrawal of labor will cause government to vanish. No word on how to cause that.   A good list, but its chief defect is in the title line: it's not a "Plan" at all. It doesn't even have the shape of a plan. It does not contain the essential components of a plan - rather like the Pugsley Plan, which I reviewed here four years ago but which Alex may have missed, as a plan it fails even to get airborne. In my STRticle What a Time to be Alive! in 2012 I spelled out the five essential components of any plan; it seems he missed that one too. They are: Define and describe the objective Identify the method to be used Specify the time scale and milestones List the resources required, and where they can be found Name the key dependencies assumed, and test for credibility   Not one of those components is stated in Alex's "7-point Plan" and, accordingly, it's not a plan. But otherwise, again, it's a useful list.
    Jim Davies 1 week 6 days ago Page Paul Hein
    Alex's savage, hysterical ad-hominem slurs are beneath contempt, but I will point out that TOLFA is far from being "just" a web site. Any who visit just its home page, and are literate, can see that it is a self-driven, interactive academy for freedom; a school, a place to learn; and having learned, a resource to which to bring others.   No harm in supplementing it with good material found elsewhere, but its 18 segments suffice alone to show any genuine student the intellectual necessity of anarchism, and to spread that knowledge throughout society and so cause the withdrawal of all government labor. Hence the slogan: Nothing less will do, nothing more is needed.
    Alex R. Knight III 2 weeks 2 hours ago Page Paul Hein
    That it is a well-done and useful website is one thing, and for the most part I don't disagree.  But that it is just a website, one minute factor in a wide panoply of voluntaryist media -- all of which is, at this point, itself miniscule comparative to statist propaganda -- seems to be a concept his hyperinflated sense of self-importance cannot sanction.  It is not and is never likely to be the key that unlocks the door to freedom.  That, if it ever happens, will be a cumulative effect from any number of sources -- from which we are still decades if not centuries away, in any case.   But don't tell him that.  His god-complex can't withstand it.  As was previously illustrated above.
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 2 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Hein
    As one who did languish in a cell over income tax, I appreciate the insights offered by Jim Davies. I think his analyses of the concept of freedom is convincing and useful for practical decisions. The Online Freedom Academy is priceless. Nowhere else have I found such a complete construct.
    Jim Davies 2 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Dismiss this if you must, Sam, as a shameless commercial; but my book A Vision of Liberty ought to be on your library shelf if you are "looking beyond the state." It tries to portray what society will be like after the state has gone.   It typefont is reasonably large, and it will reach you personally inscribed by the author; which alone will make it a collectors' item in the coming decades and centuries.   BTW, did you take your eyes to the doctor?  A few years ago I had one lens replaced by a plastic insert, and it now gives clearer sight than the other, natural one.
    Samarami 2 weeks 2 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Looking "beyond-the-state" is a challenge indeed. Probably one of the most enigmatic of challenges, since virtually all of us have cut our eye teeth on "statism" (as we now recognize it -- but could never have even understood the term just a few short years back). Recently I began going through the hundreds -- yea, thousands -- of various articles and books I had downloaded while I had internet at home. I "DC"'d internet at home several months ago, for several sound reasons. As I've gone through ancient files, editing (my eyesight has become quite poor, and I've been enlarging the print as I go), I've also taken to outlining certain words and terms used by so many of my libertarian guru's and friends. That gave me to recognize just how difficult it has been to divorce one's thinking 100% from early childhood state inculcation. How easy it is to think in terms of "our leaders", "our betters" (usually in jest, but still using the possessive plural pronoun "our", which tells me the writer has not totally given up collectivist thinking), "the president", et al. And the profusely used "we" word -- even among "libertarians". It's difficult to remember that I can be free. Here. Today. Where I'm "at". The first order of business is to purge my head of collectivist words and phrases. A near second is to recognize what I have power to do, and what is totally out of my control (your behavior and thinking is one of those -- although, since you're here at STR I have to presume your mind is much more pliable to new ideas than it was before you arrived). I have to relegate pesky coercers into the realm of rattlesnakes. Except, of course, the rattlesnake serves some useful purpose in the overall scheme of things. Which means that I need to be aware of defensive actions I can take at all times. I can't end the state. It's everywhere. Even vestiges linger with highly respected family, friends and libertarian guru's. The enormity of the truth is incredible.
    Alex R. Knight III 2 weeks 2 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Samarami 2 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Hein
    And, my dear friend, I could have anticipated you'd lump me with those "...languishing in my cell..." However, I've become a student of the art of eliminating the "cell" from my life -- without fellowshipping or complying with the beast. In fact, the art I think of as "freedom" includes the ability to sidestep and circumnavigate the beast. For now. The white man is ignorant at best, stupid on down the scale; but aware his hold is constantly at risk of slipping from his grip. His stock in trade is keeping you in the syndrome of feeling the need to change others in order for you to be(come) free. Matter of fact, I understand that the place you're probably referring to as "...the good ole US..." has currently become the largest police state anywhere on earth, in all of recorded history -- with more folks incarcerated (per thousand, or 100 thousand, or however you're estimating population) than Iraq, Iran or Communist China. In the science of rulership it's never good to incarcerate and/or murder too high a percentage of those who make up your robbery ("tax") base; so inroads must be made by those lunatics in winding down "the-drug-war", which has given rise to a large percentage of the lockups. Of course I'm old, my hide is tough from a lot of chewings over the years. The beast likes younger, more tender meat -- more easily coerced into being "...a 'citizen'" (a tame, compliant citizen at that). I've never nor will ever fit that category. A fun time to be alive. I fully plan to live to see anarchy in my time. We're already seeing a sort of model in Somalia -- but, that's shaky at best, due to tribal and other factions attempting to work within the science of rulership "to-bring-order" where there is virtually no disorder. Please refrain from attempts to be combative with those who are trying to become free -- today, now, where they're "at". Encourage 'em. Doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to conduct your "courses". But freedom will come for many who are now just starting to conceive liberty -- without my help, or yours. Sam
    Jim Davies 2 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Hein
    Probably, Sam, you're one of those to whom Paul referred with "As you languish in your cell, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are right, and they are wrong." And it's important and admirable. Seriously.   But that's only one part or aspect of freedom. The other part removes the cell.
    Samarami 2 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Hein
    Seems I've said forever: If I choose to be free, I shall be free. Today. Here. Where I'm "at". So can you if you so choose. "...So which is it; have humans evolved in ways suited to slavery, or to liberty? Or if you prefer to say there's a creator, has that Creator made humans for servitude, or freedom?..." Makes no difference whether I "evolved" or "got created". The choice for my liberty is still mine, and no body else's. Actually, I began to learn freedom as a snot-nosed kid, enslaved ("drafted" ha ha) into the white man's army of murderers. Later I took a graduate class "in the hole". If you don't know what the white man's "hole" is, you're no doubt still struggling with liberty. The choice might be easier if a critical mass of my neighbors and friends would cease submitting confessions ("filing returns" ha ha) and voluntarily complying with psychopaths hiding under the mantle of that brainless abstraction we've come to combatively call "the state". But I can't wait for that to happen. The clock is ticking. Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 3 weeks 6 hours ago Page Paul Hein
    And what did I tell you?  :-D
    Jim Davies 3 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Hein
    An excellent suggestion, dhowlandjr.   The "bureaucratic bully" will keep bullying for ever - Paul's right - if he has anyone working for him, to carry out the coercion. But what if nobody will work for him? What would it take, to cause everyone to quit such work?   More, probably, than just the QuitGov site. But that's a start, it may help.  It's a free gift, use it as you wish.   One thing continues to puzzle me, though, about those who think that "America, 2017" is a permanent condition, that no solution or escape exists for you or me or anyone else to find. Why bother, in that case, thinking about freedom or discussing freedom or writing about freedom or reading about freedom, here on STR or anywhere else? Why not just go away and eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die?    Well, there's a second puzzle too, closely associated: writers, readers and comment-posters about liberty usually say that freedom is the condition properly and ideally suited to human beings, that it's the right and natural condition for our species (in those words or some like them.) But if in practice freedom were unobtainable, an ideal beyond human reach for the indefinite future, that cannot be true. Thus, a contradiction exists. So which is it; have humans evolved in ways suited to slavery, or to liberty? Or if you prefer to say there's a creator, has that Creator made humans for servitude, or freedom?
    Alex R. Knight III 3 weeks 2 days ago Page Paul Hein
    I wouldn't presume to speak for Paul on this, but it seems to me he's just telling it like it is, and challenging the uninitiated to think about it.  YOU come up with a "solution."  LOTS of voluntaryists are talking all the time about "solutions."  ALL of them have flaws, and all of them are multi-generational, at best.   In short, settle in.  Things are going to be as Paul describes them here for a long, long time yet to come -- no matter what you or I try to do about it.   And now I just *know* who's not going to be able to resist "rebutting" what I've just said with his sacred website.  Wait for it.....
  • dhowlandjr's picture
    dhowlandjr 3 weeks 2 days ago Page Paul Hein
    Well, which one is it for you? fugitive, prisoner or slave?This would be a good article if you thought your readers were worthy of knowing what you perceive to be the solution. Let's look for ways to exemplify our vision of moving towards something better, please.
    Jim Davies 4 weeks 5 days ago Page Lawrence Samuels
    What a superb, Churchillian opener!   "Less respect for liberty and truth" than Hillary? - not sure about that. Marginally more, I'd have said. Consider the first paragraph of Jared.
    Mark Davis 5 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "Find your own little Higgs boson bubble, and make the most of it." Exactly, Alex. It is extremely difficult to remain hopeful that others will seek liberty, much less enlightenment, when so many repeatedly choose security, and willful ignorance, instead. However, liberty will survive and flourish when the existing state system collapses of its own weight and the parasites die along with the host. The remnant survives because of the individuals that retain self-sufficiency, self-responsibility, a sense of family, community and brotherhood that comes voluntarily from within, not imposed by far-away authoritarians. So, the key to human survival is liberty-minded individuals networking among themselves and not going down with the ship of state. The greatest difficulty typically arises when the rats realize the ship is sinking and they begin to scavange among remnant resources forcing hard choices and conflicts of conscience as to who to save and who to let drown.
    Samarami 5 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Fully agree, Saul. State has been inculcated almost virtually into the very air we breathe from time immemorial. Nobody -- even those who lived in the place they began calling "the usa" over 200 years ago -- has been capable of shaking "state" from his or her thinking. Not for long, they haven't. It's everywhere. Always has been. Or, has been for a long, long time -- well before my time. "Them good ole' days" were a mirage. One might lament, "...well, if 'the citizenry' had rejected government ('public' ha ha) schooling a hundred or so years ago, 'we' might be free of 'state-ingrained homeostasis' (my new medical term) today!" Not so, I'm 'feared. One of the first articles I read by my friend, Mark Davis, right here at STR, helped me "over the hump" many years ago. In it, Mark first stated a truth that should have been self-evident. But I had to hear it from him, here at STR: "...I suggest that if an individual really wants to be free then they should begin to act free themselves; that is, choose to be free..." Simple stuff. But powerful. And in the same essay Mark showed me the real reason I had abstained from voting in political elections since 1964: "...Working within the system means to become a part of the system. When you go into the voting booth, the only meaningful significance that your action will have is to show that one more person supports the state..." I knew in 1964 I did not want to be involved in "the-political-process" any more. But it took Karl Hess, Harry Browne, and a number of others' books and articles to open my eyes as to why. It seems Mark's essay tilted the glass for me, even though I had been an anarchist "...waiting to happen..." for years. So, keep up the good work. Just because I may not totally agree (yet) with everything you, or Mark, or Jim, or Alex, or mishochu -- or the many, many who seem not to be contributing essays here any more -- does not mean your work is not effective. It merely means the fire has yet to be ignited. A remnant is awaiting your message. Sam
    Jim Davies 5 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Excellent, Saul, and because they come from you, an "expert", the suggestions about health care in a free society will carry all the more weight. Then, it's cumulative. A ZGS would deliver better A, better B, better C and so on; and when they see them all add up they begin to ask Yes, maybe, but how could we possibly get all this?   The answer is ready.
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 5 weeks 5 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "How can any one possibly know whether he "wants to live in a free society" until he has some fair understanding of what a free society will be like? Robert Higgs's assertion may be quite true, but nobody can "want" something until he knows that it exists, or could exist, and roughly what it's like."  That really is the question now, isn't it? In my own work, I try to stimulate the "demand for freedom" by highlighting ways in which our medical system is so inferior to what we could reasonably expect it to be in a free society. Yet I find that there is a lot of complacency on this topic. People have an attachment to our system which does not seem warranted to me. Now I may not be the world's best salesman or promoter (scratch that, I most emphatically am not). But nonetheless this is most assuredly a tough nut to crack.
    Jim Davies 5 weeks 6 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Robert Higgs' well-crafted article in EVC is so blatantly false that I suspect he wrote it so as to shake libertarians awake, to stimulate rebuttals. If so, he will have been sorely disappointed by the pathetic response above, here on "Strike the Root." Today I tried to repair the damage in the Zero Government Blog, subtitled Half Full. Santé!
    Alex R. Knight III 6 weeks 1 day ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Hi again, Sam -- thanks for your thanks.  :-)     I have that LVM book here at home in hard copy.  I need to re-read it sometime soon.
    Samarami 6 weeks 2 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Thanks, Alex, for the contribution of your thoughts in this essay. It's easy to lose sight of the freedom each of us "rugged individualists" (thanks, Ludwig von Mises) at STR have achieved -- naysayers be damned. Not a whole lot most of us can do for the superstition that besets almost all of our neighbors and friends -- even family members -- that often seems to keep the beast at our doorsteps. Was recently reading an old (1972) von Mises piece: "What restricts the individual’s freedom is not other people’s violence or threat of violence, but the physiological structure of his body and the inescapable nature-given scarcity of the factors of production. It is obvious that man’s discretion to shape his fate can never trespass the limits drawn by what are called the laws of nature. "To establish these facts does not amount to a justification of the individual’s freedom from the point of view of any absolute standards or metaphysical notions. It does not express any judgment on the fashionable doctrines of the advocates of totalitarianism, whether “right” or “left.” It does not deal with their assertion that the masses are too stupid and ignorant to know what would serve best their “true” needs and interests and need of a guardian, the government, lest they hurt themselves. Neither does it enter into a scrutiny of the statements that there are supermen available for the office of such guardianship". ~Ludwig von Mises, 1972, “The Anticapitalistic Mentality” (pdf file) Von Mises was perhaps not "anarchist" as most of us today view anarchy; but he was definitely not "statist". He opened the door to much, much liberty and freedom of thought. One of the things my absence from internet service at home has accomplished in my months of rehab has been my review of hundreds -- yea, thousands -- of files, comments, and entire books I had downloaded over a period of years; and never taken the time to peruse thoroughly. This was merely one of many I've taken this opportunity to study in depth. Seems every day for years I would paste and copy into "word" and "pdf" files essays and books and threads of comments to essays; always with the intention of coming back and reading more comprehensively. Then, dozens of downloads later, would forget I had even put them into "read later" files and folders. Included are also many old essays by my would-be (but jocular, for the most part) antagonist and friend, Mr. Davies.
    Samarami 6 weeks 2 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "...you are beyond the reach of reason..." Times like this, Jim, I'm grateful for my "belly-button theory". Sam
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 6 weeks 2 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    But wait - there's more! http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education/health-risks/
  • D. Saul Weiner's picture
    D. Saul Weiner 6 weeks 3 days ago Web link Mike Powers
    "American's have been eating GMO foods for decades and there is not an iota of evidence that GMOs are detrimental to health" I beg to differ. Check out this article: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-foods/genetically-engi... You can always count on Reason to shill for the crony food and science players.
    Jim Davies 6 weeks 3 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Glad anyway, Sam, to see you back; and thanks for sharing the story of your misfortune. I was kidding, of course, about the necessity of "leave", and hope the time remaining to your life is long.   Since you don't agree to something which is objectively obvious (that a slave, however free he feels and rightly should be, is absolutely not free) I fear there's nothing I can do to persuade you. In this respect, you are beyond the reach of reason.
    Samarami 6 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Thanks, mishochu, for the clear and unarguable stance. It is indeed difficult for some (particularly of "manager and controller" bent) to not naysay your and my claims to "...living free as possible..." Once, while using the rattlesnake analogy (pertaining to armed statists), I stated: "...but I am not free to walk barefefoot in the woods...". A friend, once a regular reader and commenter at STR, responded: "...but you ARE free to walk barefoot in the woods..." (another naysayer, I'm 'feard). He was merely pointing up the sad situation that, even with what seem to be iron-clad anarchists on the surface, there often appears a vestige of that "dangerous superstition" referred to by our friend, Larken Rose. Sam
    Samarami 6 weeks 4 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    "...To claim that is ridiculous and confusing. Agreed?..." Absolutely not. Why agree to a "ridiculous and confoozing need" to change others in order for me to become "free"??? How you process "freedom" in your own life is your responsibility. I suggest a reread of this: http://antislavery.eserver.org/narratives/narrativeofthelife/narrativeof... And perhaps even this: https://archive.org/details/236222899TheMostDangerousSuperstitionLarkenR... I was hospitalized as the result of an accident for 3rd degree frostbite and hypothermia last year and had to make some temporary changes in living situation. Upon return decided to scuttle internet connection -- for a number of sound reasons (sound to me). Of course I abandoned television nearly 50 years ago, and have been car-free for nearly 10 years now -- reasons of which might not appear sound to others, but I am a free (yes, free) individual. So, now use government ("public" ha ha) library compooter for web connection, and my "allotted time" is running low or I might have additional comments to your assessment of my "freedom". Sorry for the absence (without leave???). Sam
    Alex R. Knight III 6 weeks 6 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    I certainly don't disagree with you.  But you see the basis for my (and Higgs's) skepticism.
  • mishochu's picture
    mishochu 6 weeks 6 days ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    True. I just can't wait for everyone else to catch up and start believing what I know to be true, I have time preference for living as free as possible, right now (even "where I'm `at`"). I wish those willing and able to do the proper convincing much luck.
    Alex R. Knight III 7 weeks 19 hours ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Another piece in this vein just published by Dr. Robert Higgs:   http://everything-voluntary.com/dont-want-live-free-society